Did you know that airline companies and flight search engines show different prices based on a country you are in? In order to get cheaper flights you need to use a VPN that would virtually change your location to get a better deal, however, that’s not enough to make cheaper bookings for your plane tickets. Let’s see what you also need to do to get cheaper flights with a VPN.
Using a VPN to get flights cheaper
Before using a VPN for flight search straight away, you need to know that many airline websites and flight search engines such as Skyscanner, Expedia or Kayak track your location in different ways such as:
- IP Address
- Browser GPS
Tracking your location by IP address: probably the easiest way for the airlines to determine your location is by IP address. It is widely used by many other websites and can easily be hidden and changed with a VPN.
Storing tracking cookies on your browser: browser cookies is the most used method to track and identify users online. The cookie file that is stored locally can hold information about your location, websites visited and widely used by advertisers to target you online.
Using an in-built GPS location: in some cases, a VPN alone might not be enough to completely mask your location since websites use a browser in-built location detection GPS feature along with your IP address. This method of tracking your location is especially used on mobile devices.
Connecting to a different server and changing your IP address would only hide the IP address, but you also must handle two other tracking methods, which is done in a very simple way. When searching for deals you must delete your tracking cookies and disable GPS detection on the browser. So, to use a VPN to get cheaper flights, here’s what you need to do:
- Open an Incognito Window on your browser (best use a different browser than you usually use)
- Delete browser cookies
- Connect to a VPN server
- Go to the flight search or airline website
- Look for your flight and check the prices
- If the prices are the same, try again
- Change to a different country using a VPN
- Start searching for the same flight again with browser cookies cleared
Deleting the cookies and disabling GPS detection on the browser would start your browsing session fresh without any data this way fully hiding your location when on a VPN.
Usually, a VPN client has hundreds of locations to choose from and looking for the best to connect might be time-consuming. But for your convenience, there are a few locations you should always try first to get a better chance of booking a discounted ticket.
Best VPN location for cheap flights
Usually, air travel companies adapt the pricing according to the market of the country you connect to the website. The locations where the prices are cheaper are the countries with lower income rates. So the best VPN locations to connect for cheaper flights are:
While these are the cheapest countries to book flights with a VPN and have the lowest fares on airline tickets, however not always you can find a bargain. Some other countries you need to try depending on your destination and the airlines you want to use.
Other countries to connect to find a better deal:
- Choose the destination country: sometimes when looking for the same flight from the destination country is cheaper than from a location you are actually flying.
- Choose the country where the airline operates: some airline companies offer more affordable prices when you buy from the country they operate.
- Do not dismiss the US and the UK: Generally, the flights from these locations are more expensive, but these are the biggest markets for airline traveling, therefore, many sales could happen when searching to buy airline tickets.
Best VPNs for cheaper flights
When looking to book flights with VPN it is important to pick one that does not have any IP leaks since those would reveal your true location. Also, since fares sometimes depend on the location and destination it’s good for a VPN to have many countries to choose from too.
Here are 5 best VPNs for cheaper flights:
Private Internet Access
- Block ads, trackers, and malware
- Can be used with 10 devices simultaneously
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- 3200+ Servers in 29 Countries
- No Traffic or Request logs
- 7-day money-back guarantee
Additional tips on saving money on flights
Besides using a VNP to save money on flights, there are also some tricks you could do to make bookings on airline tickets that could save you some cash. The most desired flights are usually the most expensive ones and the pricing algorithm takes into account the market demand too. So, to avoid being charged extra, here are some simple additional tips:
- Book a flight on Tuesday or Thursday: the flight fares usually peak on Mondays and Fridays due to many business and holidays travels, while Tuesday and Thursday have the least travelers, therefore the prices are lower.
- Avoid rush hours: the flights that take off at rush hours are the most expensive ones, so look for the ones that leave at might or at noon (around 3 PM).
- Change currency: some websites allow you to show the prices and pay in various currencies. Surprisingly, quite often the prices shown in different currencies are cheaper than the original (USD or Eur), however, you must take into account the exchange rate and do the math is the savings are worth it.
- Use the international version of websites: some airlines websites redirect you to a local version of their website, which is tailored for that particular market with usually higher ticker prices. Try using an international version of the website, it may show you different fares.
- Try closeby airports or countries: if a bit of extra traveling is not an issue, explore the combination of traveling to/from a closeby airport. One Reddit forum user told he found a flight to Hawaii with a 400 dollar discount from Canada rather than the US.
Using a VPN to get cheaper flights might save you a bit of money, however, it sometimes might be a bit time-consuming. It is best to use a VPN such as NordVPN that has many countries to connect to so you could have a better chance of booking flights for a lower price. While using a VPN for booking flights it is also important to clear your browser cookies and disable browser GPS in order to fully hide your location from the airline websites.