Does ExpressVPN Work with Netflix? How to Use It
Watching Netflix with a VPN is one of the most popular ways to unlock tons of Netflix titles from around the world. However, there might be situations when the VPN doesn’t seem to unblock a certain Netflix library.
In this article, we’ll take a look at how well ExpressVPN works with Netflix. We’ll also provide useful tips to optimize your streaming experience. If you want to read more about the perks of using this service, check out our ExpressVPN review.
Does ExpressVPN Work with Netflix?
Yes, ExpressVPN works great with Netflix and it unblocks over 10+ Netflix libraries. In addition, it has a lot of features that make streaming more enjoyable, like MediaStreamer and split-tunneling. It also provides very fast streaming speeds for both HD and 4K videos.
ExpressVPN has security features like encryption, a kill switch, or full leak protection. This way, you are protected against cybercriminals that might hack your Netflix account.
However, keep in mind that Netflix blocks VPN IP addresses regularly. Even though using a VPN to watch Netflix isn’t a criminal offense, Netflix doesn’t like it when that happens. If you can’t unblock your favorite Netflix title, that’s because Netflix already detected and blocked that VPN IP address. In this case, all you have to do is connect to an ExpressVPN server located in a different city. But make sure the server it’s in the same country as the Netflix library you want to unblock.
Why Should You Use ExpressVPN VPN with Netflix?
Here are the main reasons why you should use ExpressVPN on Netflix:
- Unblock thousands of Netflix titles — because the VPN assigns you a new IP address, Netflix can’t see your real location. So you can watch your favorite content from anywhere in the world.
- Prevent bandwidth throttling — Netflix can use up to 3 GB of data per hour if you watch HD videos. Because of this, your ISP might intentionally slow down your Netflix traffic. But ExpressVPN encrypts your traffic, so your ISP can’t see what you’re doing online. Due to that, they won’t be able to intentionally slow down your Netflix speeds.
- Bypass internet censorship — Netflix is not available in restrictive countries like China. So just because you’re traveling there doesn’t mean you can’t watch your favorite movies and shows. When you connect to an ExpressVPN server, you get a new IP address that doesn’t have firewall restrictions attached to it.
- Protect your online data — cybercriminals can steal your Netflix credentials and sell them online. To protect your Netflix traffic, ExpressVPN uses 256-bit AES encryption, which is the same encryption used by banks.
Features That Make ExpressVPN Good for Netflix
Here are the most important features that make ExpressVPN good for Netflix:
- Streaming support —ExpressVPN unblocks the most popular Netflix libraries. Among these, you can watch Netflix US, Netflix UK, Netflix Canada, and Netflix Japan. It also claims to unblock 65+ streaming sites so you can access tons of other popular sites in addition to Netflix.
- Large server network — the service has 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries. So you can unblock and watch Netflix libraries from all around the world.
- MediaStreamer — this feature is a smart DNS, which offers you faster streaming speeds because it doesn’t use encryption. Also, MediaStreamer is a good option if you want to watch Netflix on a device that doesn’t have native support for VPNs. For example, some smart TVs and gaming consoles.
- Apps for all platforms — ExpressVPN has great, intuitive apps for all apps like Windows, Android, macOS, iOS, and Linux. What’s more, it has apps for routers as well. So you can watch Netflix even on smart TVs without having to manually set up the VPN on your router.
- Shortcuts — this is a very convenient feature that lets you create 1-click shortcuts for apps and sites. These shortcuts will show up on the VPN app’s screen after you connect to a VPN server. If you create a Netflix shortcut, you’ll get instant access to the site after you connect to a server.
- Built-in speed test — the VPN lets you run quick speed tests. This way, you can see which server locations provide the best speeds for you. In our tests, the VPN app always recommended nearby servers, so it’s pretty accurate.
- Fast speeds — ExpressVPN has blazing-fast streaming speeds across all servers. We never experienced long load times and buffering while watching HD and 4K videos.
- Split-tunneling — this feature lets you choose which apps use the VPN connection and which apps use your local network. For example, you can use it to only send Netflix traffic through the VPN. When we used this feature, it increased our Netflix speeds by around 20%.
- Full leak protection — the provider offers protection against WebRTC leaks, DNS leaks, and IPv6 leaks. This way, you prevent accidental leaks that might reveal your IP address to Netflix.
- Obfuscation — this feature is very useful when you’re traveling to restrictive countries. For example, China blocks Netflix and VPNs. Obfuscation hides VPN traffic and makes it look like normal internet traffic. This way, it helps you bypass VPN blocks to access Netflix.
- Kill switch — this feature is very useful because it disconnects your device from the internet if your VPN connection drops. This way, it prevents IP leaks that might reveal your real location to Netflix.
- Good value — ExpressVPN has pricey plans, but it provides really great value. Also, it has a 30-days money-back guarantee, so you can try its services risk-free.
How to Use ExpressVPN for Netflix in 5 Simple Steps
- Go to ExpressVPN’s site.
- Get a subscription and download the VPN on your device.
- Install ExpressVPN and log in.
- Choose a VPN server from a country where your favorite content is streaming.
- Log into your Netflix account.
That’s all — now the titles you want to unblock should appear in your Netflix library.
ExpressVPN and Netflix: Troubleshooting Tips
If you’re experiencing issues, here’s what you can try:
1. Connect to a Different VPN Server
A common problem some ExpressVPN users complained about on Reddit is that the provider’s servers simply don’t unblock Netflix.
That’s because Netflix constantly detects and blocks VPN IP addresses. So if an ExpressVPN server doesn’t work with Netflix, it means that Netflix blocked that server’s IP address.
In that case, just connect to a different VPN server that’s located in the same country as the Netflix title you want to watch. So let’s say you want to watch a show that’s streaming in the UK, but the London server doesn’t work with Netflix. Instead, connect to a server located in East London or Wembley.
2. Use a Different Browser to Access Netflix
Your regular browser has cookies that reveal your real location. When you log into your Netflix account, the streaming site can see those cookies even if you’re using a VPN. So you’ll receive an error code to prevent you from watching Netflix. Here are the most common ExpressVPN and Netflix streaming errors Reddit users said they received:
- Netflix proxy error M7111-5059 Pardon the interruption.
- Netflix error code UI3012 Pardon the Interruption.
- Netflix error code NW-2-5 Netflix has encountered an error.
- Netflix error code 22004 This Title Is Not Available to Watch in Your Area.
- Netflix shows the Incorrect password message even if your login credentials are correct.
All these errors mean that Netflix detected the VPN.
So before logging into your Netflix account, use a different browser with private/incognito mode. This way, cookies won’t interfere with your streaming.
3. Enable the Kill Switch
Sometimes, your connection to the VPN server might drop. If your device is still connected to the internet when this happens, Netflix can see your real IP address.
Before logging into your Netflix account, make sure you turn on the kill switch. This will disconnect your device from the internet when your VPN connection drops. So your IP won’t accidentally leak when you’re watching Netflix.
4. Check Your Firewall
Your antivirus or firewall might block your VPN connection due to default settings. However, disabling your antivirus just to watch Netflix with a VPN is not a good idea. You risk exposing your personal information. So cybercriminals might try to compromise your Netflix account. At the same time, you might accidentally click on a malicious website or ad and compromise your device.
Instead, whitelist your VPN connection. This way, you get the best of both worlds — you protect your device against malware, and you get to watch Netflix.
5. Try Using MediaStreamer
If the VPN isn’t working, you can try MediaStreamer — ExpressVPN’s smart DNS. It’s a feature that improves your streaming experience. That’s because MediaStreamer changes your DNS settings to grant you access to Netflix.
MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your traffic, so you’ll have better speeds when watching Netflix. In our tests, our MediaStreamer speeds were 40% faster than our VPN speeds. However, keep in mind that MediaStreamer doesn’t encrypt your data. So you can’t stop your ISP from seeing what you’re doing online. That means, they will slow down your Netflix traffic to discourage you from binge-watching Netflix content.
6. Check Your Internet Connection
Make sure that you can access Netflix’s site when you’re not connected to a VPN server.
If you can’t log into your Netflix library, there might be an issue with your internet connection. Here’s how you can solve internet connection problems:
- Restart your device and reset your internet connection.
- Clear your router’s cache by restarting it.
- Disconnect the devices you’re not using at the moment from your network.
- If possible, use an Ethernet cable instead of a WiFi connection because it’s more reliable
7. Contact Customer Support
If you still can’t make ExpressVPN work with Netflix, contact the customer reps — this provider has 24/7 live chat. Just ask the reps which servers you need to use to unblock a specific Netflix library. Like most VPNs, ExpressVPN doesn’t make this information public. Otherwise, it would be too easy for Netflix to detect and block its servers.
Verdict: Is ExpressVPN Good for Netflix?
Yes, ExpressVPN works great with Netflix. It has fast streaming speeds and it comes with features that make watching Netflix more enjoyable. For example, it has MediaStreamer, the Shortcuts feature, split-tunneling, and 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries. What’s more, it offers a built-in speed test, so you can find the servers with the best streaming speeds for your location.
However, ExpressVPN is one of the most expensive VPNs on the market. Also, it only allows 5 simultaneous connections, which might not be enough for a large family.
In this case, NordVPN and Surfshark are 2 great alternatives to ExpressVPN. Both VPNs have excellent Netflix streaming support and large server networks. So you can unblock tons of Netflix content from all over the world. Also, these providers offer strong security features. Bank-grade encryption, kill switch, DNS leak protection, and a no-logs policy — just to mention a few.
NordVPN’s plans are much more affordable than ExpressVPN. What’s more, NordVPN lets you buy a dedicated IP address, which is great for streaming because it’s harder for Netflix to detect and block it.
Compared to ExpressVPN, Surfshark offers unlimited simultaneous connections. So it’s perfect if everyone in your home wants to watch Netflix with a VPN. Surfshark also has 2 special features that make streaming more enjoyable:
- Spoof GPS — Netflix’s mobile apps use both IP address and GPS data to find your real location. Spoof GPS hides GPS data that gives away your location and lets you bypass Netflix’s geo-blocks. Spoof GPS is only available on Android.
- Nexus — this feature changes the VPN IP address very often during a VPN session. This way, it’s much harder for Netflix to detect and block Surfshark’s servers.
Netflix and ExpressVPN FAQs
Here are the most common questions people ask about ExpressVPN and Netflix:
What are ExpressVPN Alternatives for Netflix?
You can watch and unblock Netflix with these ExpressVPN alternatives:
What ExpressVPN Server Locations Work on Netflix?
Depending on the server you connect to, ExpressVPN can unblock almost any Netflix library. The best way to find out which server works best with a specific Netflix library is to contact the support reps.
ExpressVPN has 24/7 live chat and customer reps respond quickly. We tested the provider’s live chat support on weekends and during the week. We were always connected to knowledgeable reps in less than 1 minute.
Is Netflix Blocking ExpressVPN?
No, Netflix hasn’t blocked all of ExpressVPN’s IP addresses. However, it’s possible that Netflix blocked the IP address of the server you’re currently connected to.
If you can’t connect to a specific Netflix library, you just need to get a new IP address. To do that, just switch to a different server from the same country as the Netflix title you want to watch.
Can ExpressVPN Unblock Netflix Libraries?
Yes, ExpressVPN can unblock the most popular Netflix libraries. For example, it can unblock Netflix US, Netflix UK, Netflix Canada, and Netflix Japan. If you want to find out if the VPN works with a specific library, just contact customer support.
Why Do I Get Netflix Streaming Error When Using ExpressVPN?
If Netflix detects that you’re using a VPN, you’ll get the Netflix proxy error when logging into your account.
When that happens, switch to a different browser and use incognito/private mode. This way, cookies won’t interfere with Netflix’s website.
If that doesn’t work, it’s possible that Netflix already detected and banned the VPN IP address you’re using. To fix that, get a new IP address by connecting to a different server located in the same country as the Netflix title you want to watch.
What Happens If Netflix Detects I’m Using a VPN?
If Netflix detects you’re using a VPN to unblock different libraries, you’ll get a streaming error code. Also, Netflix will show you the Incorrect password message even if your login credentials are correct.
However, Netflix doesn’t ban you from the platform. At most, they’ll block your VPN IP address so you won’t use it again to access its site.