How to Install and Use NordVPN on Kodi in 2023
Kodi is a media player you can use to watch your favorite movies and TV shows or play retro games. However, depending on your location, you might come across geo-restricted content, so you need a VPN for streaming. Unfortunately, Kodi doesn’t natively support VPN apps so you’ll have to follow some extra steps to enjoy your favorite content.
NordVPN works very well with Kodi and even comes with a VPN Kodi add-on. With this provider, you can unlock geo-blocked content and add-ons on Kodi. What’s more, using this VPN protects your online privacy from cybercriminals. Also, it prevents your ISP from throttling your bandwidth.
Does NordVPN Work with Kodi?
Yes, NordVPN works well with Kodi. It unblocks the most popular streaming add-ons like Disney+, Pluto TV, and BBC iPlayer. Besides, it unblocks tons of geo-restricted add-ons for TV, documentaries, music, or live sports.
NordVPN also comes with all industry-standard security features. It offers strong encryption, a kill switch, full leak protection, and a twice-audited no-logs policy.
After you choose a VPN server and log into your Kodi account, you’ll automatically unblock the content you want to watch.
What’s more, NordVPN has fast and secure protocols. So you won’t experience lags or video buffering while watching videos on Kodi. In our tests, we always had good internet speeds after connecting to both distant and nearby servers. Also, the content we watched on Kodi took less than 2 seconds to load. We didn’t experience any buffering on HD and 4K videos.
How to Install NordVPN on Kodi
Kodi doesn’t natively support a VPN app. Here’s how you can set up NordVPN on Kodi:
Install NordVPN’s Add-On on Kodi
NordVPN has a dedicated add-on on Kodi you can use to watch your favorite content.
- Make sure that OpenVPN is installed on the device you’re watching Kodi.
- Download the NordVPN Kodi add-on .zip file on your device.
- Go to Settings and click on the System settings tab.
- Go to the Add-ons tab and toggle the Unknown sources button to ON.
- Click Yes on the warning message that pops up on your screen.
- Go back to the Home screen section.
- Click on Add-ons > Package > Install from zip file.
- Select the NordVPNSetup.zip file and click OK.
- Wait until the installation is complete, and click on the Wizard button that appears on the pop-up window.
- Enter your NordVPN credentials (username and password).
- Select the VPN server you want to connect to.
- Search for any popular add-on you want to install.
Keep in mind that the NordVPN add-on only works with versions that are older than Kodi 19! Otherwise, you’ll get a Kodi error message saying “xbmc.python version could not be satisfied”.
This happens because NordVPN’s Kodi add-on uses Python version 2, and Kodi 19 uses Python version 3.
Use NordVPN on Kodi with the NordVPN App
Here’s how you can unblock your favorite add-ons if you’re watching Kodi on your computer or laptop:
- Make sure that Kodi is turned off on your device.
- Download the NordVPN app.
- Open the app and log in.
- Choose a server from a country you want to watch content from.
- Open Kodi and search for a specific add-on.
Use NordVPN on a Raspberry Pi with Kodi
Here’s how you can transfer NordVPN and Kodi files on your Raspberry Pi device:
- Download the Kodi OpenVPN .zip file for Raspberry Pi.
- Move the .zip file on the device you’re using Kodi.
- Log into your Kodi account and go to the System section.
- Click on the Settings button and then click again on Add-ons.
- Click on the Install from zip file option.
- Make sure that the installation process is finished.
- Create a new .txt file (for example, nordvpnaccount.txt) and write 2 lines. One line is for your NordVPN username and the other line is for your NordVPN account password.
- Go to NordVPN’s official server list.
- Download the .ovpn file for the server you want to connect to.
- Open the file you’ve just downloaded.
- Search for the auth-user-pass line.
- Edit the line with the location where the nordvpnaccount.txt file is going to be on Kodi. When you’re done, make sure it looks similar to this: auth-user-pass/location/of/nordvpnaccount.txt.
- Move both files on your Raspberry Pi.
- Open the OpenVPN add-on you installed in step 1.
- Use the OpenVPN add-on to find the .ovpn configuration file you moved on your Raspberry Pi.
Now your Raspberry Pi should work with your NordVPN account. So anytime you use Kodi, you automatically use the VPN server you’re connected to.
Use NordVPN with Kodi on Fire TV (and Android TV)
Here’s how you can use NordVPN with Kodi on Fire TV or Android TV:
- Get a NordVPN subscription.
- Download and install the NordVPN app from the app store.
- Open the VPN app.
- Choose a server to connect to.
- Open Kodi and install your favorite add-ons.
How to Disconnect NordVPN from Kodi
Here are the steps you must follow if you want to disconnect NordVPN from Kodi:
- Open Kodi and go to the VPN manager screen.
- Click on the Change or disconnect VPN connection.
- Click on the Disconnect button.
- Log out.
Now you can use Kodi without a VPN.
Why Should You Use NordVPN with Kodi?
Here’s what makes NordVPN good for Kodi:
- It works with popular streaming add-ons.
- It has a large server network, so you can access popular geo-blocked Kodi add-ons.
- It has fast speeds so you won’t experience buffering.
- It blocks malicious Kodi add-ons.
- It encrypts your traffic, preventing bandwidth throttling.
What Makes NordVPN Good for Kodi?
NordVPN has a bunch of features that make it excellent for Kodi. Here are the most important ones:
- Easy to use — the VPN provider has a dedicated add-on you can use on Kodi. So you don’t have to manually set it up on your router. If you want to use its VPN apps, they’re also very intuitive.
- Streaming support — it works with popular Kodi streaming add-ons like Disney+ and Pluto TV.
- Large server network — it has 5,000+ servers in 55+ countries. So you can watch content and install popular Kodi add-ons from many countries.
- Threat Protection — it blocks malicious add-ons or trackers on Kodi.
- NordLynx — this is NordVPN’s proprietary protocol. It’s just as fast as WireGuard, but it has a few extra privacy tweaks so your personal information won’t get exposed.
- Simultaneous connections — the VPN app allows up to 6 simultaneous connections. So you can use it on multiple devices to unblock geo-restricted Kodi add-ons.
- 256-bit AES encryption — this encryption cipher is impossible to break with our current technology. This way, your traffic is encrypted and your ISP can’t see what you’re doing online. So it can’t slow down your internet speed if you’re watching too much content on Kodi.
- Kill switch — if your VPN connection drops, this feature disconnects your device from the internet. Otherwise, your real location might get accidentally exposed and you can’t bypass Kodi geo-restrictions. NordVPN also has an app-based kill switch, which lets you choose which apps (Kodi, for example) are shut down if the VPN connection drops.
- Full leak protection — the VPN offers protection against DNS leaks, IPv6 leaks, and WebRTC leaks. This way, your IP address isn’t accidentally exposed so your ISP won’t see your traffic.
What Should You Do If NordVPN Is Not Working with Kodi?
Here are a few things you can do if NordVPN doesn’t work with Kodi:
1. Make Sure You’re Using the Official NordVPN Add-On for Kodi
You might find unofficial or fake NordVPN add-ons. Don’t install these on your devices since they might contain malware. Make sure that you’re always using official add-ons.
2. Check the Date and Time on Your Device
Your device might be set to the wrong timezone and date. We recommend disabling automatic date and time updates that use the web. This way, there won’t be conflicts between your device and the VPN app.
3. Change the VPN Server
Sometimes, the VPN’s server might get overloaded. Just connect to a different server that’s in the same country as the content you’re unlocking.
4. Your Firewall Might Block the VPN App
To prevent this, you can whitelist the VPN app in your firewall’s settings, so that the firewall won’t interfere with it. This way, you can use the VPN and still protect your device from malware.
What Content Can You Access on Kodi with NordVPN?
You can use NordVPN on Kodi to access add-ons for:
- Streaming — Disney+, Crackle, Pluto TV.
- Gaming — Twitch, Steam Community, GameGuruMania.
- Media — YouTube, BBC iPlayer, Vimeo.
- Live sports — Red Bull TV, Fox Sports GO, MLB.TV.
- Music — Spotify, SoundCloud, Tidal.
- Documentaries — National Geographic, Nasa, TED Talks.
Is NordVPN Good for Kodi in 2023?
Yes, NordVPN works on Kodi even though Kodi doesn’t natively support VPN apps. That’s because NordVPN has an official add-on you can install on your device. Alternatively, you can use NordVPN’s app on your device together with Kodi.
What’s more, NordVPN is great for streaming and has 5,000+ servers in more than 50 countries. It also provides fast speeds, so you can watch your favorite content in HD or 4K without experiencing video buffering. It also offers great privacy and security features. If you want to know more about it, check our NordVPN review.
If for whatever reason, you don’t want to use NordVPN, you can try other VPN alternatives with Kodi as well. Private Internet Access and Surfshark are 2 other popular VPNs. They both support streaming on Kodi, have a large server network, and offer very fast speeds.
NordVPN and Kodi FAQs
Here are the most common things people ask about using NordVPN with Kodi:
Does NordVPN Work Well with Kodi?
Yes, NordVPN works great with Kodi. It has a dedicated add-on you can install on Kodi, so you don’t have to set it up manually. However, you can also use NordVPN’s app, which is extremely user-friendly, on your device together with the Kodi app.
Besides, it offers great speeds and a large server network. This way, you can access tons of add-ons from all around the world. And you can enjoy your favorite content without experiencing quality drops or buffering.
Do I Need a VPN with Kodi?
Yes, you should always use a VPN with Kodi. Many useful Kodi add-ons are geo-blocked. With a VPN you can bypass geo-restrictions and enjoy your favorite content from all around the world.
A VPN also encrypts your traffic to protect it from cybercriminals and keeps you safe. And by doing that, it also stops your ISP from throttling your Kodi speeds.
How Do I Stop My ISP from Blocking Kodi?
Using a VPN is the best way to bypass your ISP’s restrictions. It allows you to communicate with Kodi using a new IP address, one that doesn’t have firewall restrictions linked to it. So you can freely access Kodi even if your ISP blocks it.
Also, when you connect to a VPN server, your traffic is encrypted. So, your ISP won’t be able to see that you’re bypassing their restrictions. NordVPN even provides obfuscation, which hides your VPN traffic, so your ISP won’t even know you’re using a VPN service.
Can I Use NordVPN on Kodi for Free?
No, NordVPN doesn’t have a free plan. However, if you subscribe to its long-term plans, you save a lot of money because they’re very affordable.
NordVPN also has a 30-day money-back guarantee. So you can try it risk-free for a month. If, for whatever reason, you don’t enjoy the service, you’ll get a full refund.