How to Install and Use Private Internet Access for Kodi in 2023
Using a VPN for streaming is a great way to unblock lots of shows and movies. The good news is Private Internet Access (PIA) has servers that work with Kodi, so you can access geo-blocked content from around the world.
If you’re interested to read more about PIA, here’s our Private Internet Access review.
In this article, we’ll talk about how to install PIA on Kodi and what you can do if, for whatever reason, it doesn’t work. Check out our best VPNs for Kodi list.
Does Private Internet Access Work with Kodi?
Yes, Private Internet Access works with Kodi. Here’s how to easily use it with Kodi in just 4 steps:
- Download and install PIA on your device while Kodi is turned off.
- Log into the PIA VPN app.
- Connect to a server in the same country as the content you want to unblock.
- Now open Kodi and start streaming.
These steps work for all types of operating systems like macOS, Windows, Android, and iOS.
However, please keep in mind that you need to turn off Kodi while you install the PIA VPN app. If you keep Kodi running while you install PIA, you might experience IP conflicts and you won’t be able to stream on Kodi.
Test Your VPN Knowledge – Take A Quiz!
How to Install Private Internet Access on Kodi
Unfortunately, there’s no dedicated Kodi PIA add-on. So if you want to use PIA in Kodi, you’ll need to do a manual setup. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Kodi’s repo library and download the Zomboided Kodi repository (an add-on that’s compatible with PIA).
- Open Kodi and choose the Add On option.
- Click on the installer icon and select Install from the zip file.
- Look for the Zomboided repo zip file and open it.
- Click on the Install from repository option and go to Zomboided add-on repository > Services > VPN Manager for OpenVPN.
- Click on the Install option and go back to Kodi’s main menu.
- Look for the Program Add-Ons options and select Settings.
- Enter your PIA account login details.
- Open the VPN Manager for OpenVPN.
- Go to the VPN Connections menu and select First VPN connection – this way, your PIA account is verified by the VPN Manager app
- Pick a location from PIA’s Kodi server list and select OK.
Now, you’re all set to enjoy your favorite movies and shows.
Quick tip: If you want to change the server, just go back to VPN Manager for OpenVPN. There, you’ll see Change or Disconnect service connection. Click on that option and choose the new server you want to connect to.
How to Install Private Internet Access on Fire TV for Kodi
PIA has a dedicated app for Amazon Fire TV, which is easy to use. Here’s how to install it:
- Open your FireStick home screen and type Private Internet Access in the Find menu.
- Click on VPN by Private Internet Access to download it.
- After PIA is installed, click Open.
- Enter your account credentials (username and password).
- Click OK multiple times until you complete a connection request from your Fire TV device.
- Next, select a server to connect to. Make sure it matches the country where the content you want to unblock is available.
- Click on the yellow button in the center of the screen to start using the VPN.
However, if you have a 1st generation Fire Stick, you won’t be able to download and install PIA’s app. That’s because the 1st generation devices don’t natively support VPN apps. Here’s how to set up PIA’s app on your Fire TV manually:
- Make sure that the Apps from Unknown Sources option is turned on.
- Open the Downloader app.
- Type this exact text: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/installer/download_installer_android
- Click Go.
- Once the file is downloaded, select INSTALL and then OPEN.
- Log into your PIA account with your username and password.
- Click OK on both screens that appear next.
- Use the app to connect to a server in the same country as the content you want to unblock.
That’s all – now Kodi should work with PIA.
How to Test If Private Internet Access Is Working with Kodi
Here’s how you can check if PIA works with Kodi:
- Open Kodi and go to the Add-ons menu.
- Scroll down until you see the Download option and click on it.
- Next, click on the Program Add-ons options.
- Search for the DNS Leak-Test add-on and install it.
- Once the install is finished, click OK.
- Open DNS Leak Test Addon and see if you can see your real DNS and IP addresses.
If you can’t see your real DNS and IP addresses when you’re connected to PIA on Kodi, that means your DNS is not leaking.
What Makes Private Internet Access Good for Kodi?
Here’s what makes PIA good for Kodi:
- Streaming support — it works with popular add-ons on Kodi such as BBC iPlayer and Pluto TV.
- Fast streaming — it offers fast speeds for HD and 4K streaming, meaning that you won’t experience video buffering even on distant servers.
- Large server network — PIA has servers in 80+ countries. That means it’s easy to find nearby servers to have better speeds when streaming. Also, you can unblock popular Kodi add-ons from tons of countries.
- Dedicated streaming servers — The VPN service has streaming servers in the US, the UK, Japan, Sweden, Italy, Finland, and Denmark. This means that the IP addresses are refreshed more often, making it harder for streaming add-ons to detect and block VPN IP addresses.
- High-end security & privacy — PIA’s no-logs policy has been audited a few times and proven true. Also, it has all standard features like military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and full leak protection.
- Split-tunneling — this feature lets you choose which apps use the VPN and which apps use your regular internet network. When we tested it by only sending Kodi traffic through PIA, it increased our streaming speeds by 15%.
- Dedicated IP addresses — streaming add-ons are more likely to detect and block shared VPN IP addresses. It’s because they see 100+ people logging into from the same IP. But a dedicated IP is only assigned to you, which makes it harder for streaming add-ons to detect and block it. PIA has dedicated US, UK, German, Australian, and Canadian IPs.
- Easy to use — It works well on all platforms. Also, they have an intuitive design, are simple to navigate, and make it easy for users to connect to servers.
- Simultaneous connections — The VPN app allows up to 10 simultaneous connections. So you can use it to unblock Kodi add-ons and geo-restricted titles on tons of devices.
- Affordable — It has budget-friendly plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try the VPN risk-free.
What Are the Benefits of Using PIA for Kodi?
Using Private Internet Access with Kodi helps you unblock geo-restricted add-ons and content. Also, it prevents bandwidth throttling.
When you connect to one of PIA’s servers, it changes your IP address to the server’s IP. That prevents Kodi add-ons from seeing your location, so they can’t target you with geo-blocks. Just make sure you connect to a server where your favorite movies and shows are available.
And PIA has strong 256-bit AES encryption, which makes your traffic completely unreadable. So your ISP won’t know that you’re using Kodi. This way, you can prevent your ISP from throttling your internet speeds since it can’t see what you’re doing online.
What If Private Internet Access Is Not Working with Kodi?
If you’re having trouble with PIA, it’s probably because Kodi add-ons detected blocked the VPN IP you’re using. To solve that issue, connect to a different server located in the same country as the content you want to see. You can also try getting a dedicated IP address from PIA, which is harder to detect and block.
There’s also a chance that PIA doesn’t work with Kodi because the date and time on your device are incorrect. So make sure you’re using the correct date and time settings. We also recommend disabling automatic date and time updates that use the web.
Also, please keep in mind that there’s a chance PIA won’t work with Kodi if you’re using unofficial add-ons. So it’s best to avoid them.
Verdict: Is Private Internet Access Good for Kodi?
Yes, Private Internet Access works with Kodi really well. It unblocks geo-restricted content and has very fast streaming speeds. It also has easy-to-use apps and excellent security. Also, another thing that makes PIA great for streaming is that it has dedicated IPs, which are harder to detect and block.
However, if you’re looking for alternatives to PIA, NordVPN and AtlasVPN are 2 VPNs that also work great with Kodi. NordVPN provides much faster streaming speeds on Kodi. And AtlasVPN allows unlimited connections, compared to PIA’s 10 connections.
Kodi and PIA FAQs
Here are the most common things people ask about using Kodi with Private Internet Access:
Do I Need a VPN with Kodi?
Yes, because many Kodi add-ons are only available in certain countries, like BBC iPlayer and Pluto TV. If you use a VPN, it hides your IP address, which reveals your location. So you can access any Kodi add-ons you want no matter where you are in the world and using a VPN with Kodi is legal.
Also, streaming on Kodi can use a lot of internet data. Due to that, your ISP might slow down your internet speed, so that you won’t consume too much data. Using a VPN with strong encryption like Private Internet Access makes your traffic unreadable, so your ISP won’t know what you’re doing online. Without that info, they won’t be able to selectively slow down your Kodi speeds.
Can You Set Up Private Internet Access on Routers?
Yes, Private Internet Access works on routers. If you set it up on a router, you won’t have to install it on every device you use Kodi on. PIA has tons of setup guides for different router models, so make sure you check them out.
Can You Use Private Internet Access for Kodi for Free?
No, Private Internet Access is a paid VPN so you can’t use it for free. However, it has very affordable plans and a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can test it risk-free.
We generally recommend avoiding free VPNs because they usually don’t work with geo-blocked Kodi add-ons. Plus, they have very slow speeds, bandwidth caps, and buggy apps.
Does Private Internet Access Have a Kodi Add-on?
No, Private Internet Access doesn’t have a dedicated Kodi add-on. You can manually set up a PIA VPN connection inside Kodi using the Zomboided Kodi repository. But it’s honestly much easier to just install and use PIA’s app on your device — just open it and connect to a server before opening Kodi.