5 Best VPNs for Portugal: Get a Portuguese IP Address
Need a Portuguese IP address? Well, the best way to obtain one is to use a VPN for Portugal. Not only can you change your virtual location, but VPNs also shield your traffic from ISP data logging and hackers.
Moreover, getting a VPN for Portugal doesn’t mean you’re limited to Portuguese content. By connecting to a server in a different country, you can access international streaming libraries and services. For instance, VPN users in Portugal can access UK Netflix in a couple of clicks.
Of course, not every Portugal VPN is worth your time or money. Many VPNs offer sub-par speeds, poor security, or are missing important features.
- NordVPN – best VPN for Portugal overall
- Surfshark – affordable plans and unlimited simultaneous connections
- AtlasVPN – best Portugal VPN with a free plan
- PrivateVPN – best way to get a Portuguese IP on a budget
- ExpressVPN – excellent streaming speeds and country coverage
Comparing the 5 Best VPNs for Portugal
For your convenience, here’s a table of the most essential Portugal VPN features. More in-depth coverage for each VPN later on.
|Free plan||No||No||Yes||7-day trial||No|
|24/7 live chat||Yes||Yes||Premium only||Yes||Yes|
Top 5 VPNs for Portugal
Finding the right VPN for Portugal can be a daunting task. Don’t worry, though – we’ve done the research for you and picked the 5 best Portugal VPNs available today.
NordVPN boasts over 5,500+ blazing-fast servers in 59 countries around the world. They also offer 20+ VPN servers in Portugal, perfect for unblocking all manner of Portuguese shows and websites. We were able to watch HD content on SIC, TVI, and RTP with zero buffering issues.
NordVPN is also one of the best VPN apps for streaming on the market, and easily unblocks the Portuguese version of Netflix. Naturally, you’ll have no problem unblocking Netflix US, UK, Canada, or other major libraries from around the world. The VPN works with most popular services out there, including BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Hulu, Disney+, and more.
The provider’s Portugal VPN servers are P2P-enabled, allowing for fast and safe torrenting. NordVPN is also based in Panama, a country known for its strong privacy laws. Their no-logs policy has been audited twice, thus ensuring that your data isn’t stored anywhere. Moreover, NordVPN uses RAM-disk servers that wipe any data passing through their network upon reset. Basically, you have nothing to worry about in terms of data collection.
And if you need further privacy enhancements, NordVPN provides:
- Stealth (or obfuscated) servers – to hide your VPN traffic and bypass VPN blocks. Useful when traveling to restrictive regions like China.
- Multi-hop VPN – encrypt your data twice, and pass it through multiple servers for extra anonymity online.
- Threat Protection – built-in malware scanning on Windows and Mac. Ad-blocking, malware and phishing domain filters across all apps.
Speaking of apps, NordVPN provides user-friendly clients for all major systems. Their expert 24/7 live chat support is there to answer any questions you may have. You also benefit from a robust 30-day money-back guarantee in case you’d like to explore different Portugal VPNs.
- Thousands of lightning-fast and well-optimized servers
- Unblocks all the major streaming sites
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption to protect you from DDoS attacks and other online threats
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark is an excellent way to get a Portuguese IP address (and other benefits of a VPN) on a budget. A single subscription lets you connect any number of devices to your account. Perfect for sharing with family and friends, especially with their affordable plans. Everyone can enjoy Portuguese shows while abroad, or watch content that’s blocked in the country.
The provider features high-speed Portugal VPN servers in Porto and Lisbon. We tested both locations and were able to unblock major Portuguese TV channels, plus Portuguese Netflix. Best of all, we got great speeds across the board, even when watching HD or 4K video.
Other than that, Surfshark makes a fine choice for speedy, private torrenting. Download and upload speeds are decent all-around, despite the lack of port forwarding. Surfshark also offers a strict no-logs policy, as well as RAM-only servers to ensure your data remains safe.
Privacy buffs may also be interested in the following features;
- Camouflage Mode – masks your VPN activity while connected using the OpenVPN protocol. Great for bypassing VPN blocks.
- Double VPN – much like NordVPN’s multi-hop VPN option.
- CleanWeb – stay safe against malware and phishing sites, while blocking intrusive ads.
- GPS spoofing on Android – unique feature to trick smartphone apps about your true location.
Surfshark Antivirus and Surfshark Alert are optional services you can add to your subscription. The first shields you against viruses / malware, while the latter is excellent at combating the effects of data breaches. Any time your personal info (email, payment data, etc.) is part of a data breach, Surfshark Alert lets you know to take action.
As expected, the provider offers helpful 24/7 live chat support, even for non-subscribers. You can also try them out risk-free for 30 days thanks to their money-back guarantee.
- A very affordable VPN provider
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- A fast and light WireGuard protocol
- Allows split-tunneling and has a multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and robust security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
AtlasVPN is the go-to option if you want to quickly try out a VPN in Portugal for free. And the best part? You don’t have to worry about any of the dangers associated with free VPNs. As AtlasVPN keeps no user logs, they don’t sell your data to shady advertisers to pay for operational costs. Instead, everything is funded through their affordable premium subscriptions.
Aside from removing the 5 GB monthly data cap, a premium plan gives you access to:
- 750 VPN servers in 40+ locations, including Lisbon in Portugal.
- Full torrenting and streaming support. Watch SIC, TVI, RTP, and others from anywhere, and download torrents safely without throttling getting in the way.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections – add all your household gadgets and share with friends!
Aside from the usual encryption protocols, the VPN includes the highly efficient WireGuard option in all its apps. This allows for fast speeds without putting a dent in your security. Try out their Tracker Blocker and prevent ad companies from profiling you online. Meanwhile, their Data Breach Monitor alerts you when your email has been posted online as part of a breach.
Premium subscribers also gain access to the privacy-focused SafeSwap feature. Choose from one of three SafeSwap locations (the US, Netherlands, or Singapore), and you get a rotating IP address with every new request. That way, advertisers and other online snoopers can’t get a handle on what websites you visit on a daily basis. MultiHop+ (double VPN) is also included for users that want to boost their online anonymity.
Unfortunately, 24/7 live chat is only available for subscribers. Thankfully, support was always quick to answer through their free-to-use email. And as always, AtlasVPN provides a generous 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with their premium service.
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Helpful against an ISP throttling your connection
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol, DNS leak protection, and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Limited Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN comes with incredibly affordable plans, and is a solid way to obtain a Portugal IP address. Beginners will be pleasantly surprised by PrivateVPN’s apps, which feature neat little tutorials for any feature you use.
The provider offers 200+ speedy servers in most popular regions around the world. This includes one location in Lisbon, Portugal as well. Despite their rather low server count, we never experienced lag while watching content on SIC, TVI and other Portugal TV channels. Surprisingly, we were also able to unblock Portuguese Netflix, as well as other popular streaming services.
PrivateVPN’s entire server network is P2P-friendly. Expect fast download and upload speeds, with support for both static and dynamic port forwarding. Unsurprisingly, the provider never logs any user activity, thus maintaining your privacy no matter what you do online.
Best of all, their apps include a useful kill switch called Application Guard. You can set it to shut off individual apps in the event of a random disconnect. Perfect for torrenting, online payments, or logging onto social media on unsecured networks. No need to worry about hackers harvesting your data while your guard is down.
Support reps are ready to help 24/7 and always answer our questions pretty fast. Changed your mind about the service at any point? You have 30 days to get a refund, no questions asked.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN comes equipped with 3,000+ top-performance servers in over 90+ countries. As you may have guessed, they also provide a cluster of servers in Portugal. The provider runs the TrustedServer technology, meaning all servers are RAM-only.
Aside from clearing any data from the network with every reset, all server software is reinstalled at startup. This virtually removes the risk of misconfigurations that could put your data at risk. Naturally, the provider’s no-logs policy has been audited by an independent third party to ensure your privacy. Furthermore, ExpressVPN includes perfect forward secrecy. That results in tighter security thanks to the frequently changing encryption keys.
Security aside, ExpressVPN is excellent at unblocking most content out there. Whether you’re in Portugal or traveling abroad, this VPN easily bypasses even the most advanced geo-blocks. Watch Portuguese TV from outside the EU, or access Portugal’s version of Netflix anywhere in the world.
The VPN performed well in our tests, with no lag or buffering issues even at max video quality. We were also able to find the fastest available server thanks to ExpressVPN’s built-in speed test tool.
All their apps are user-friendly, and allow you to set shortcuts to your favorite online services. Add Netflix, Steam, VoIP apps, or your browser in the VPN client, and enjoy a secure web experience without annoying blocks. Sadly, ExpressVPN only lets you connect up to 5 devices to a single account. Not the best for larger households, although you can get around that limit by using their router app.
As always, their expert support reps are available 24/7, and you get the usual 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
Why Use a VPN for Portugal?
VPNs have more uses than you think. Here are some of the reasons to use a VPN in Portugal:
- Privacy and security – shield your logins and online payments against hackers, and keep your browsing activity a secret.
- Change your online location – browse the Internet and access streaming content as if you were outside Portugal.
- Fast and secure torrenting – prevent bandwidth throttling by your ISP and hide your IP address from peers.
- Bypass firewalls on public networks – unblock the fun part of the Internet at work, school, airports, hotels, and more.
- Solve connectivity issues in games – a VPN can reduce ping and resolve NAT-type errors in multiplayer games.
More importantly, a VPN is the easiest way to get a Portuguese IP address. Just create an account, install the VPN app, select a VPN server in Portugal, and you’re good to go.
How to Get a Portuguese IP Address
No use wasting time with an unreliable Portugal proxy that might log your activity.
- Subscribe to a trusty VPN that has servers in Portugal (we recommend NordVPN).
- Download and install their VPN app on all your gadgets.
- Open the app and select a VPN server in Portugal.
- Browse safely and watch Portuguese content with no annoying geo-blocks.
How to Choose a VPN for Portugal
Settling on one VPN may feel overwhelming, especially when providers keep piling on new features. Here’s how we determined the best VPNs for use in Portugal:
- Speedy Portuguese VPN servers – fit for safe browsing, or watching Portugal-exclusive TV shows as an expat (or while traveling).
- Polished apps – advanced settings are fine, but not if the app is hard to navigate.
- Great server coverage – whether it’s to unblock content from other countries, or browse securely while traveling.
- Works for streaming – the main reason most people get a VPN. We looked at VPNs that worked with Portuguese Netflix and other popular streaming services.
- Torrenting support – even better if the provider offers specialized P2P VPN servers.
- Extra features – split tunneling, malicious domain filtering, anti-malware scanning, ad-blocking, and others.
The Best Free Portugal VPNs
Getting a VPN in Portugal for free may seem like a good idea if you’re on a tight budget. However, “free” isn’t always as free as it seems.
For one, there aren’t many providers that would offer Portugal VPN servers for free. Most free VPNs also have slower speeds for non-subscribers or limit your monthly data. The worst part is when they log and sell your browsing and location info to third-party ad networks. After all, they need to cover their expenses somehow.
If you’re truly set on getting a free Portugal VPN, then we recommend these three providers.
As explained in our top 5 section, AtlasVPN comes with a free plan. You get the same amazing security and fast speeds as on the premium plan, with no data logging at all. That said, you’re limited to 5 GB of data per month, and only three server locations. One in the Netherlands, and two in the United States. Sadly, there’s no streaming or torrenting support on the free plan.
There are no data caps or bandwidth throttling on the ProtonVPN free plan. While there are no free servers in Portugal, you still gain access to three different locations. Namely, the US, the Netherlands, and Japan – all with medium speeds when compared to paid servers. We also recommend upgrading to gain full torrenting and streaming capabilities.
Most top VPNs have removed their free plans in recent years due to frequent abuse. Thankfully, ZenMate still lets you try out their premium service for 7 whole days by verifying your email. They also have 50 high-speed VPN servers in Portugal (Lisbon), which are P2P-friendly. You also get full streaming support, unlimited data, and unlimited simultaneous connections.
Or better yet, just try out an affordable premium plan from NordVPN and avoid all the hassle.
VPN for Portugal FAQs
We answer all your important questions about using a VPN in Portugal down below.
Are VPNs Legal in Portugal?
Absolutely. VPNs are fully legal in Portugal. Naturally, using them for illegal activities isn’t.
Do I Need a VPN in Portugal?
Here’s a quick rundown of why you need a VPN in Portugal:
- Prevent ISP data logging, hacking activity, and other cyber threats
- Unblock Portuguese TV while traveling, or international streaming sites
- For private, safe, and speedy torrenting
- Bypass firewalls in public places (hotels, work, school, etc.)
- Reduce ping in online games, or fix NAT-related issues
Can I Get a Portuguese IP Address?
Yes – here are the steps to get a Portuguese IP:
- Choose from our best VPNs for Portugal and sign up – NordVPN is our top pick.
- Download and install their VPN client on your device(s).
- Launch the VPN and connect to a Portugal VPN server.
- Browse and stream safely with your new Portuguese IP.
On a related note, we recommend avoiding any Portugal proxy that markets itself as “free”. Most of the time, these proxies log and sell your browsing habits to shady advertisers. Not only that, but they offer limited unblocking capabilities compared to a VPN.
What Portuguese Content Can I Unblock with a VPN?
The best VPNs will let you watch Portugal-exclusive content on Netflix, as well as popular Portuguese networks. Catch live broadcasts on RTP Play, SIC, TVI, or stream VODs from your favorite shows anywhere in the world.
How to Watch US Netflix in Portugal or Vice Versa?
To unblock US Netflix in Portugal, you’ll need to change your location using a premium VPN (such as NordVPN). You can also stream Portugal’s version of Netflix from abroad by connecting to a Portuguese VPN server.
Does NordVPN Work in Portugal?
Yes, NordVPN works amazingly in Portugal. They have over 20 servers available in Lisbon that let you unblock popular Portuguese streaming sites and local Netflix. You also get 5,500+ servers in 58 other countries for a whole new world of content.
Does ExpressVPN Work in Portugal?
Yes, ExpressVPN is a great VPN choice for Portugal. The provider comes with 3,000+ servers in 94 countries, including some in Portugal. It offers enhanced security and is great at unblocking Portuguese content and TV libraries from abroad.
Are There Portuguese VPN Providers?
Surprisingly, yes – but none of the Portuguese VPN providers we found are worth mentioning. Any one of our recommendations offers a better experience, such as NordVPN and their 20+ top-speed VPN servers in Portugal.