The best way to secure your traffic in Germany and access German sites abroad is to use a VPN for Germany. While many VPNs have VPN servers in Germany, that doesn’t mean they’re good options. Some of them lack important security features, have slow speeds, or don’t unblock German sites.
We spent weeks researching the best VPNs on the market to see which ones provide the best experience for people in Germany. Keep reading to find out what our top picks are.
In a hurry?
Here are the best VPNs for Germany in 2022:
Why Do You Need a German VPN?
The main reason to use a VPN for Germany is to secure your online traffic. Because it encrypts your data, it makes it completely unreadable. So nobody can spy on it — not your ISP, not the government, and not hackers.
Besides that, there are other good reasons to use a German VPN:
- It changes your IP address to a German IP address if you use a VPN server in Germany. That way, you can access German sites when you’re abroad, like Netflix Germany.
- It protects your privacy. By encrypting your traffic, the VPN stops ISPs from spying on it.
- German VPNs also stop ISPs from throttling your bandwidth. They won’t know what you’re doing online, so they won’t be able to selectively slow down your speeds.
- A VPN helps you bypass firewalls at work or school, by allowing you to communicate with the web through a new IP address.
- German VPNs make torrenting safer by hiding your real IP address.
How to Pick the Best VPN for Germany
Here are the metrics we used to find the best Germany VPNs:
- Strong security – all the VPNs we recommend provide industry-standard security features. They come with bank-grade encryption, kill switches, and good leak protection.
- Good privacy – we only recommend VPNs that really protect your privacy. All our top picks have no-logs policies to ensure nobody logs your IP address and traffic.
- Good streaming and torrenting – all the VPNs on this list work with popular German streaming sites. They also support torrenting on their servers.
- Servers in Germany – it’s important for the VPN to have servers in Germany. Maybe you don’t want to change your IP address, just secure your traffic. Doing that with a German VPN server lets you enjoy faster speeds because the server is close to your location.
- Large server network – good VPNs should have tons of servers in most parts of the world. That way, you can unblock streaming sites from different countries — like Netflix US and BBC iPlayer.
- Fast speeds – VPNs might slow down your speeds due to the encryption they use. But the best VPNs minimize the slowdown. All the Germany VPNs we recommend have very fast speeds for all online activities.
- Ease of Use – the best VPNs have apps for all major platforms, which are easy to install. They’re also user-friendly — they come with intuitive interfaces and easy-to-understand settings.
- Good value – we only recommend VPNs that come with extra features, have cheap plans, and back all purchases with refund policies.
The 5 Best VPNs for Germany in 2022
After testing 40+ top VPNs, we finally found the best 5 VPNs for Germany. Our tests show that these VPN providers have fast speeds, excellent security, and are very easy to use.
1. NordVPN – Best VPN for Germany in 2022
We think NordVPN is the best German VPN out there. It comes with 5,100+ worldwide servers, including 230+ servers in Germany.
It has excellent security via military-grade encryption, a kill switch, and great leak protection. It also supports double VPN connections, which provide even more security. And this VPN also has a reliable ad blocker called CyberSec. In our tests, it blocked all ads on German sites and stopped connections to malicious sites.
This VPN also has advanced security features. It comes with RAM-only servers, meaning every server reboot wipes all data. And most of NordVPN’s servers are co-located, meaning only the provider’s staff has access to them.
NordVPN also provides really good privacy. It has a strict no-logs policy that has been audited twice.
On top of that, this VPN service provides lightning-fast speeds. Every time we ran tests, German websites loaded instantly and we were able to download large 40 GB files in 10-15 minutes, which is very fast.
Also, NordVPN is really good for streaming and torrenting. It easily unblocks top streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime’s German libraries. And it allows torrenting on 4,400+ servers, 200+ of which are in Germany.
This VPN is also very user-friendly. It only took us 1-2 minutes to download and install its apps. And its VPN clients are very intuitive and make it simple to find and connect to German servers.
NordVPN allows 6 simultaneous connections and has cheap, flexible plans. It backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
2. AtlasVPN – Good Budget German VPN
If you need a budget-friendly VPN, AtlasVPN is a great pick. It has 700+ servers in 30+ countries, including Germany. And it has some of the cheapest plans on the market and provides really good basic features. Plus, it comes with unlimited connections, meaning you can use the VPN on as many devices as you want. You can even share the subscription with friends and family to share costs and save money.
We also like how secure AtlasVPN is. You get strong encryption, a kill switch, and good leak protection. There’s also a strict no-logs policy and even a tracker blocker. On top of that, this VPN has a data breach monitoring feature, which you can use to check if your personal data is safe.
In addition to that, this VPN provider is very good for streaming and torrenting. In our tests, it worked with top German streaming sites. Also, it provides excellent torrenting support and works with top P2P apps like uTorrent and Vuze. What’s more, this VPN always provided us with very fast speeds in our tests.
Furthermore, AtlasVPN is extremely user-friendly. It has apps for most platforms, which are really easy to use and navigate.
AtlasVPN comes with a free plan that allows torrenting and cheap paid plans. It also backs all paid plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
3. PrivateVPN – Great Beginner-Friendly German VPN
PrivateVPN is extremely user-friendly, so it’s perfect for people new to VPNs. It has 200+ servers in 60+ countries, including 2 servers in Germany. It has apps for the most popular platforms which are very simple to install. What’s more, its apps are intuitive and easy to navigate. In our tests, it only took us 1-2 seconds to find and connect to PrivateVPN’s German servers.
Not only that, but PrivateVPN provides excellent security and privacy features. It has 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and great leak protection. It also comes with a strict no-logs policy and obfuscation, which hides your VPN traffic.
Also, this VPN works with the most popular streaming sites out there, including Netflix Germany. And it allows torrenting on all servers too.
We also ran multiple speed tests. Our results show that PrivateVPN is very fast. German websites loaded instantly for us and so did HD and 4K videos. Furthermore, we torrent 30-40 GB files in only 20-25 minutes.
This VPN allows up to 10 simultaneous connections and has affordable plans. It also backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
4. Surfshark – Unlimited Connections & Very Fast
Surfshark supports unlimited connections, so you can use it on as many devices as you want. It also has 3,200+ servers in 60+ countries, including 2 locations in Germany. And it provides extremely fast speeds. In our tests, we were able to load 4K videos instantly and they didn’t buffer when we skipped through them. Also, we gamed online with no lag and our VoIP calls never dropped. And we downloaded 50 GB files in 20 minutes.
What’s more, this VPN unblocks top streaming sites like Netflix and Amazon Prime. We were always able to unblock German titles on our first try. We also really like that this VPN provider allows torrenting across all servers, including the German servers.
And that’s not all. Surfshark also provides high-end security and privacy. It uses bank-grade encryption, has a kill switch, and comes with strong leak protection. What’s more, it has a strict no-logs policy and provides double VPN connections. It also has an ad blocker called CleanWeb and obfuscation.
Another reason we like this VPN is so much is because it has intuitive apps for all platforms. The interface is very streamlined, so you always know where everything is. Plus, its settings and features have quick explanations, so you never feel lost.
Surfshark comes with very cheap and flexible plans, and it also provides a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
5. ExpressVPN – Great for Streaming & Very Secure
ExpressVPN is a great VPN for Germany if you love streaming. It has 3,000+ servers in 90+ countries, including 3 locations in Germany. And it works with top websites like Netflix Germany. We also had instant access to other German sites like ARD and ZDF.
On top of that, this VPN has really good security. It has strong encryption, a kill switch, and full leak proteciton. It also has RAM-only servers. And there’s perfect forward secrecy too, which changes your encryption key for each session to make sure hackers can’t compromise it.
What’s more, ExpressVPN provides excellent privacy. It has a strict no-logs policy, but that’s not all. Its no-logs policy has also been independently audited and verified.
In addition to that, this VPN is really good for torrenting. All servers support P2P traffic, including the German servers. And it works with P2P apps like uTorrent and Vuze and has very fast download speeds too.
This VPN is also easy to use thanks to its intuitive apps. We also like the Shortcuts feature. It lets you add 1-click shortcuts to your favorite sites and apps, which show up on your screen after you connect to a server.
ExpressVPN allows 5 simultaneous connections and has affordable plans. It also provides a 30-day money-back guarantee.
How to Use a VPN in Germany
It’s really simple — just follow these steps:
- Sign up for a good Germany VPN. We recommend NordVPN for its excellent security and fast speeds.
- Download and install the VPN provider’s app.
- Open the app and connect to a VPN server. Use a German server if you want the fastest speeds.
- Surf the web privately and securely!
Germany VPNs FAQs
Here are the most common questions we saw people asking about German VPNs:
How Do I Get a German VPN?
Getting a VPN is really simple. Just pick one of the VPNs on our list, and use our affiliate link to sign up. That way, you get a cool discount and save money. Then, download and install the VPN provider’s apps.
To use the VPN, open the app and connect to a server. Once you do that, you’ll browse the web with a new IP address. Also, all your traffic will be encrypted.
Can I Use a German VPN for Free?
Most free VPNs are risky to use because they lack important security features. Also, they have slow speeds, buggy apps, and limit how much data you can use. If you really want a free Germany VPN, use AtlasVPN. It has servers in Germany, fast speeds, unlimited data, and allows torrenting.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN in Germany?
Yes, it’s completely legal to use a VPN in Germany. It only becomes illegal to use it if you engage in criminal activities with it.
Can I Torrent with a VPN for Germany?
Yes, you can — we actually recommend doing that because it’s much safer. A VPN hides your real IP address in the torrent swarm. That keeps you safe from hackers and copyright trolls. It also stops your ISP from throttling your torrenting speeds — they won’t know you’re downloading torrents, to begin with.
To torrent with a German VPN, you need to use a VPN that allows P2P traffic on its servers. All the VPNs on our list support torrenting.
Can I Access German Sites with a German VPN?
Yes, you can. If you use a German VPN server, it will replace your original IP address with a new IP address from Germany. That way, every site you access will think you’re connecting to it from inside Germany. So you’ll be able to browse all German sites, including top ones like Netflix Germany.