7 Best USA VPNs in 2023 (for Both Inside & Outside the US)
The USA has some of the best entertainment out there, and using a USA VPN is the best way to unblock it anywhere in the world. At the same time, using a United States VPN in the US is also a good idea. It secures your traffic, stops bandwidth throttling, and makes torrenting safe.
We tested all top USA VPNs to see which ones offer the best experience. Many are actually not good – they’re slow, hard to use, and don’t have many US servers.
But we managed to find the six best USA VPNs out there that are fast, secure, and user-friendly. And you can use them both inside the US and outside the US.
In a hurry?
- NordVPN – best USA VPN.
- Surfshark – best multi-device US VPN.
- AtlasVPN – A great budget choice.
- PrivateVPN – has very fast speeds.
- ExpressVPN – easy to use and secure.
- Private Internet Access – provides excellent privacy.
- CyberGhost – very good for streaming.
How to Pick a Good USA VPN
This is what we look for when picking USA VPNs:
- USA VPN servers – the VPN needs to have servers in the US. Otherwise, you can’t get a US IP address. And the VPN should have tons of servers so that you don’t need to deal with overcrowded servers that slow down your speeds.
- Good security features – we only recommend VPNs that protect your data with bank-grade encryption. They also have kill switches and secure protocols like OpenVPN, WireGuard, and IKEv2/IPSec.
- No-logs policy – all the VPNs on this list have strict no-logs policies, meaning they don’t collect your IP address and traffic. Some services, like NordVPN for example, even have audited no-logs policies.
- Fast speeds – the VPNs we tested allowed us to maintain fast speeds on all servers while streaming, browsing, and downloading files.
- P2P support – if you want to download torrents safely, you need a VPN that allows P2P traffic on its servers.
- Streaming support – a good USA VPN should be able to unblock popular streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+.
- Ease of use – all the VPNs we recommend have user-friendly apps for iOS, Android, Windows, and macOS. Some even have dedicated Linux apps.
7 Best VPNs for the USA – Direct Feature Comparison
All the USA VPNs mentioned in this article are very good. But which one is best for you completely depends on your personal preferences. Here’s a quick look at some of their main features:
|VPN Service||Rating||US VPN Servers||Headquarters||Simultaneous |
|Surfshark||4.6/5||500+||The British Virgin Islands||Unlimited|
|ExpressVPN||4.4/5||100+||The British Virgin Islands||5|
|Private Internet Access||4.3/5||100+||The US||10|
Best USA VPNs – Speed Comparison
VPNs may slow down your connection speeds because they encrypt your data. That makes your traffic heavier, so it takes longer for it to travel between your device and the VPN server. But the best VPNs for the USA will minimize the slowdown with large server networks and fast VPN protocols.
We ran speed tests with Ookla Speedtest, a good third-party speed testing tool. Our tester is based in Romania and tested multiple US servers from each VPN provider. These are the average VPN speeds he got:
|Server Connection||Ping||Download Speed|
|Base Test Network||19 ms||930 Mbps|
|NordVPN||99 ms||477.99 Mbps|
|AtlasVPN||100 ms||402.32 Mbps|
|PrivateVPN||102 ms||324.28 Mbps|
|Surfshark||106 ms||298.77 Mbps|
|Private Internet Access||113 ms||198.42 Mbps|
|CyberGhost||120 ms||160.96 Mbps|
The Best USA VPNs
Based on our research and tests, these are the best USA VPNs on the market:
NordVPN is without a doubt the best USA VPN out there. It has a huge server network numbering 5,000+ servers – with 1,900+ servers in the US. And it allows P2P traffic on 1,700+ US servers. So it’s very easy to find a nearby VPN server to get very fast speeds.
Speaking of which, our slowdowns were minimal while using this VPN. In our tests, we always loaded HD and 4K videos on Netflix US and Hulu instantly, downloaded large 20-30 GB files in 30-40 minutes, and played games with no lag. That’s mostly thanks to its NordLynx protocol which has been built off WireGuard.
We really love how secure NordVPN is. It has industry-standard features like 256-bit AES encryption, a kill switch, and a no-logs policy. But it goes the extra mile:
- Its no-logs policy has been audited twice.
- It has RAM-only servers, meaning every reset wipes all data.
- There’s obfuscation, which hides your VPN traffic.
- It prevents DNS and IPv6 leaks.
- It has an ad blocker called CyberSec that blocks ads and malicious sites.
- And it has double VPN servers which secure your data with an extra layer of encryption.
This VPN provider unblocks all top streaming sites including smaller ones like VRV and Crunchyroll. And its apps are very easy to install and use thanks to their intuitive design.
Finally, NordVPN has 24/7 live chat, affordable plans, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Thousands of lightning-fast and well-optimized servers
- Unblocks all the major streaming sites
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption to protect you from DDoS attacks and other online threats
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark is fast, secure, and has 3,200+ worldwide servers and 500+ US servers. Its US server network covers 20+ cities, meaning this is a great VPN for bypassing sports blackouts. It’s also really good at unblocking top US streaming sites too.
Its main highlight is that it allows unlimited connections with one account. That means you can install Surfshark on as many devices as you want. It’s the perfect VPN to share with your friends and family!
All servers allow P2P traffic and this VPN works perfectly with popular P2P apps like qBittorrent and uTorrent. Its speeds are also very fast – in our tests, we were always able to load videos instantly and download large torrent files really quickly.
In terms of security, you get a no-logs policy, a kill switch, and powerful encryption. There are also secure protocols, obfuscation, double VPN support, and IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
Surfshark provides helpful and friendly 24/7 live chat, has very affordable plans, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- A very affordable VPN provider
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- A fast and light WireGuard protocol
- Allows split-tunneling and has a multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and robust security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
Atlas VPN is the best option if you’re looking for a budget-friendly VPN. It offers 700+ servers worldwide, including servers in 5+ US cities. It’s fast and feature-rich making it a great choice for every USA VPN user – whether you’re streaming, gaming or simply trying to stay safe.
This VPN offers streaming optimized servers and supports torrenting across all servers. Speaking of screens, there’s no limit – connect all of your devices, your family or friends! Be safe together, as Atlas VPN takes care of the hard work. It has military-grade encryption, no-logs policy and a kill-switch feature in case your connection is unstable.
Atlas VPN is compatible with Android, iOS, macOS and Windows operating systems and is easy to use. However, if you may have any questions, its support team is ready to help you 24/7. Surf the web securely and bypass geo restrictions at the best price on the market. And just in case, there’s a 30 day money back guarantee!
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Helpful against an ISP throttling your connection
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol, DNS leak protection, and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Limited Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN is fast and good for streaming and torrenting. Despite only having 200+ worldwide servers and 10+ US servers, it has blazing-fast speeds. It loads websites and HD videos on top streaming sites instantly. And it also has very fast torrent download speeds – all PrivateVPN’s servers allow torrenting, by the way.
This VPN protects your data with powerful encryption, secure VPN protocols like OpenVPN, and a kill switch. It also has a strict no-logs policy, meaning it never monitors your traffic and IP address. And it provides obfuscation and IPv6 and DNS leak protection.
PrivateVPN is extremely good at bypassing geo-blocks. It always unblocks top streaming sites in the US for us – Netflix US, Hulu, Amazon Prime, and Disney+. It also works with other sites like DAZN, Pandora Radio, and Sony Crackle.
With this VPN, you get really great customer support, cheap pricing, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN has 100+ US servers in 20+ cities and 3,000+ worldwide servers, excellent security, and good streaming support. What really stands out is its Lightway protocol. This VPN provider designed it to offer great security and speeds. And our speed tests back that up — we always had lightning-fast downloads, streaming, VoIP calls, and browsing.
Security-wise, this VPN service has everything you need. There are the industry-standard features: 256-bit AES encryption, no-logs policy, and a kill switch. But this VPN also conducted an independent audit of its no-logs policy. And it uses RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy which changes your encryption key for each session.
We really like how good ExpressVPN is for streaming – it reliably unblocks all top US sites. And we never saw a proxy error when we accessed streaming sites outside the US. And if you ever get bored of Netflix US, this provider lets you unblock 10+ other regional libraries.
The apps are also easy to use. They come with quick-connect features, easy-to-navigate interfaces, and settings that are well explained.
To top it all off, ExpressVPN has 24/7 live chat, flexible pricing, and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
6. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access provides excellent privacy, is very fast, and has customizable apps.
You get top-notch security with this VPN. It protects your data with powerful encryption, a no-logs policy, and a kill switch. And it also uses RAM-only servers.
While this provider is headquartered in the US, its no-logs policy has been proven true many times in court. So even if the authorities ask PIA to hand over user data, it doesn’t have any, to begin with. What’s more, all of its apps are open-source, so anyone can inspect the code for security vulnerabilities.
In addition to that, you also get obfuscation, secure protocols including WireGuard, and an ad blocker called PIA MACE. We tested the ad blocker with 10+ ad-heavy US sites, and it always got rid of all ads, which made the sites load faster.
In our speed tests, 4K videos loaded fast and didn’t buffer and large torrent files finished downloading in under an hour.
And we love how easy-to-use PIA’s apps are. The design is intuitive and the interface is very simple to navigate. Plus, all settings and features have helpful explanations. And it’s cool that you get tons of customization options — for example, you can change the encryption level.
PIA is really good for streaming — with it, we were able to access Netflix US and Hulu outside the US. Even better, PIA allows torrenting on all its servers and works with top torrenting apps like Deluge, Vuze, and qBittorrent.
This VPN service has 24/7 live chat, has cheap prices, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Thousands of servers
- Great for torrenting and P2P
- Strong security and encryption
- Block ads, trackers, and malware
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Anonymous payment methods
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in the US
- Not all streaming services can be unblocked
CyberGhost VPN is user-friendly, good for streaming, and has 7,600+ worldwide servers and 1,300+ US servers. In our tests, we always enjoyed fast speeds – HD and 4K videos didn’t buffer, websites loaded instantly, and VoIP calls never dropped. All US servers also allow P2P traffic, so it’s really easy to find a nearby server to get fast download speeds.
This VPN unblocks tons of streaming sites using dedicated streaming servers. They refresh their IPs faster, so it’s much harder for sites to block them. It unblocks 60+ sites from around the world and 10+ US sites.
The best thing about CyberGhost VPN is how beginner-friendly it is! Its apps are available on all platforms and they’re really easy to install. Also, it’s easy to get used to the apps’ interface. And all settings have quick, easy-to-understand explanations.
We really like how secure this VPN is. You get an always-on kill switch, a no-logs policy, and 256-bit AES encryption. There’s also an ad blocker, RAM-only servers, and perfect forward secrecy.
CyberGhost VPN provides good 24/7 live chat, cheap subscriptions, and a 45-day money-back guarantee for long-term plans. It backs the shortest plan with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- WireGuard protocol available
- No Logs
- Offers Dedicated IP option
- Free browser extension
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No third-party audits
- Messy app’s interface
Best USA VPNs FAQs
We found the most common questions people ask about United States VPN services, and we answered them all here. If you have more, please leave them in the comments.
Which USA VPN Has the Most American Servers?
NordVPN has the most US servers: 1,900+. And CyberGhost VPN comes in second with 1,300+ US servers. But while ExpressVPN, Surfshark, and PrivateVPN have fewer US servers, they still have very fast speeds.
Still, if you want to be sure you always find a US server that’s not overcrowded and close to you, we recommend picking NordVPN. The provider has servers in tons of states: Georgia, Washington, California, Colorado, Illinois, New York, and more.
How to Get a US IP with a VPN
It’s very simple – just follow these steps:
- Subscribe to a VPN that has American VPN servers.
- Download and install the VPN’s app.
- Run the VPN and connect to a US server.
Is Using a VPN in America Legal?
Yes, using a VPN for the USA is perfectly legal. And it’s also legal to use a VPN outside the US. It’s only illegal to use a VPN if you use it to engage in criminal activities.
Can You Use a Free VPN for the USA?
Yes, you can use a free American VPN – but we advise against it. Free VPNs don’t provide good service. They’re usually slow, limit how much data you can use, log your data, and have buggy apps that crash a lot.
Instead of a free USA VPN, we recommend getting a paid VPN instead. NordVPN is our top pick due to its high speeds, good streaming support, and excellent security. Best of all – it has very cheap plans and a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Why Do I Need a USA VPN in the US?
Even if you have access to US streaming sites, you should still use a VPN for the US – here’s why:
- It encrypts your data, keeping it safe on unsecured networks.
- It stops ISPs from spying on your traffic and selling it to advertisers.
- USA VPNs prevent bandwidth throttling because ISPs can’t see your traffic.
- With a VPN, you can torrent safely. ISPs and copyright agencies won’t be able to track you anymore because the VPN encrypts your traffic and hides your IP address.
We recommend using a US server in this case because you’ll have faster speeds. If the server is in the same country as you, data between you and the server will travel faster.
Why Do I Need a VPN Outside the US?
Here are the main reasons you should use a US VPN if you’re abroad:
- It lets you access US-only titles on streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO Max. You can also unblock US-only streaming services like Hulu.
- It lets you access website services or features that are only available in the US. For example, some websites only offer 24/7 live chat support in the US.
- You can game on US gaming servers that aren’t available abroad. Also, using a US VPN server to play on a US gaming server might reduce your ping.
- You can spoof your real location and make people think you’re actually located in the US.
- If you’re a US citizen traveling abroad, you can use a US VPN server to securely access your bank account. Some US banks might flag connections from other countries as “suspicious.”
How to Access Netflix US Outside the US
Here’s how to easily access the Netflix US library outside the country:
- Sign up for a good Netflix VPN — we recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN provider’s app to your device.
- Open the app and connect to a US VPN server.
- Log into your Netflix account and start binging US titles!
What Are the Best USA-Based VPNs?
Most VPNs avoid being headquartered in the US because it’s not a privacy-friendly country. That said, there are plenty of top providers that are based in the US and still offer excellent security and privacy:
- AtlasVPN — this VPN has a strict no-logs policy. It also provides strong security features, including a data breach monitoring tool. Also, its iOS app successfully passed an independent security audit.
- Private Internet Access (PIA) — PIA’s no-logs policy has been proven true many times in court documents. Said documents actually show how PIA wasn’t able to provide US authorities with the data they requested because it keeps no logs. Also, all of PIA’s apps are open-source, meaning anyone can inspect the code for security vulnerabilities. And PIA has advanced security features like RAM-only servers.
- IPVanish — IPVanish has a strict no-logs policy, which underwent an independent security audit. However, the audit’s results are not public. But we like how IPVanish has advanced security features like perfect forward secrecy.
- Hotspot Shield — this provider comes with a no-logs policy that clearly says the VPN doesn’t log any data. Also, it provides excellent security features, including perfect forward secrecy and obfuscation.
Is It Safe to Use a USA VPN?
Yes, using a United States VPN is completely safe – as long as you use a good one, that is. To keep your data safe, you need a VPN that uses bank-grade encryption, has a kill switch, and has a no-logs policy.
How Does a USA VPN Work?
A VPN encrypts your traffic by sending it through a VPN server, making it completely unreadable. The VPN server sits between you and the sites you visit, which is why those sites only see the VPN’s IP address. If it’s a US IP address, you’ll get access to US-only content.