5 Best VPNs for DDoS Protection in 2023 – Game Safely and Prevent DDoSing
DDoS VPN Protection Key Points
- A VPN with DDoS protection keeps you safe from malicious online users, vindictive gamers, and anyone else wanting to impede your Internet access.
- Not every VPN offers the same level of DDoS protection. This is why you should make sure you pick a suitable service with the right security features.
- Avoid using free VPNs for DDoS protection. They lack advanced security features and can even be unsafe to use.
Our testing has shown that NordVPN offers the best DDoS attack protection.
Being on the receiving end of a DDoS attack can be a very unnerving and annoying experience. Not only that, but it can also open up your device to other cyber threats. DDoS attacks have been prevalent in online gaming for years, but are getting more common in other aspects of the online world.
Luckily, while these attacks can be potentially dangerous, it’s reasonably easy to prevent DDoS strikes. Certainly, having a robust VPN goes a long way in this regard. In this detailed page, I’ll go over everything you should know about DDoSing and share with you the five best VPNs you can use to protect against it.
The Best VPNs for DDoS Attacks Protection – Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – The best VPN for DDoS protection.
- Surfshark – A speedy VPN loaded with advanced features.
- Atlas VPN – An affordable pick with unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN – Simple service with ultra-fast gaming servers.
- ExpressVPN – Premium service with great security
Why It’s Important to Use a VPN With DDoS Protection
Using a VPN with DDoS protection is essential for several reasons, regardless if you play online games or enjoy other types of activities on the Internet. Here are a few notable reasons why you should consider using a VPN with DDoS protection:
- Shield Your Real IP Address — A VPN masks your real IP address and replaces it with the IP address of the VPN server you connect to. This adds an extra layer of anonymity, making it difficult for attackers to identify your true IP address and target you directly.
- Protect Against Game Interruptions and Crashes — A VPN ensures your connection doesn’t accidentally leak your real IP address. If you engage in public streaming or play games with a peer-to-peer format, this is a very valuable feature for avoiding any crashes.
- Protect Against Other Attacks — If the attacker’s DdoSing attempt is successful, they might feel emboldened to try a more harmful attack. A VPN will protect your connection from future attacks that can come in other forms, such as adware attacks or attempts to take over your device remotely.
Alongside these three DDoSing-oriented perks, a strong service can do much more. It encrypts your traffic, hides your traffic from your Internet Service Provider, and helps you access remote streaming and gaming locations. In some cases, it can even boost your Internet connection performance.
The Best DDoS Protected VPNs – Our Detailed List
NordVPN comes with all of the features you would look for in the best VPN for DDoSing protection. You can play online in complete safety, backed up by features like DNS leak protection, a kill switch, and military-grade encryption.
With over 5,700 servers worldwide, you won’t have any trouble finding the optimal connection to the game server. Many of these are obfuscated servers, which mask the fact that you’re connected to a VPN. With NordVPN, you can also get a dedicated new IP address in one of ten supported locations.
Plus, thanks to the provider’s in-house NordLynx protocol, you can count on the best speeds in the business, as NordVPN is the fastest service out of my five selections. Some of its servers also support a DoubleVPN feature, which runs your traffic through two servers.
- The fastest service for accessing any game server
- Powerful protection against DDoSing
- Offers obfuscated servers
- Strong leak protection
- Includes a 30-day money-back guarantee
- More expensive than most of my other picks
- Supports only six simultaneous connections
Surfshark is undoubtedly one of the strongest VPNs for DDoS protection. Its strong features like Camouflage Mode, private DNS and leak protection, and a kill switch ensure it offers uncompromising security.
If you’re highly concerned about your privacy and security, you can also get a dedicated static IP address. The static IP is compatible with WireGuard and offers maximum speed.
Surfshark is the second-fastest service on my list and is only about 5% to 10% slower than my top pick. What’s more, Surfshark is a more affordable pick than my top choice. And, it also offers unlimited connections in every subscription plan.
- Bypasser and Camouflage Mode features
- Offers static IPs
- Reliable DDoS protection
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly slower than NordVPN
- Has a smaller server network than my top pick
3. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN has a number of tailor-made features that make it a great choice for DDoS protection. Primarily, it has a SafeSwap feature, which allows you to access the Internet from several IP addresses. Also, its MultiHop+ feature allows you to tunnel your connection through multiple rotation locations.
The provider’s kill switch offers leak protection, and the SafeBrowse feature prevents tracking and malware attacks. Like most top providers on my list, Atlas VPN employs the fast and reliable WireGuard protocol.
Atlas VPN apps include great features but remain very user-friendly and straightforward. Moreover, this provider allows you to have unlimited simultaneous connections per plan. Besides my previous pick Surfshark, Atlas VPN is the only service on my list to offer this.
- SafeSwap and MultiHop+ bolster DDoS protection
- Supports unlimited connections
- Strict no-logs policy
- Split tunneling available for Android apps
- 30-day money-back guarantee on all plans
- Not the best VPN pick if you want high speeds on remote servers
- Relatively small server network compared to my other picks
PrivateVPN is arguably the least popular service on my list. But this isn’t to say that it’s the one with the lowest quality of service. In fact, PrivateVPN is impressively imposing in its simplicity. Its apps are easy to use but still include features like a kill switch, WireGuard protocol, and 256-bit encryption.
This service also offers the best uptime (99.98%) out of all of my selections. This makes it a superb pick for both online gaming and streaming. More precisely, PrivateVPN is the fastest VPN for remote servers out of my top five picks.
PrivateVPN offers a slightly limited server network compared to my other picks. However, if you’re a beginner, it has more than enough servers and features to meet all of your demands. In this regard, I’ve found PrivateVPN to be the best service for casual users who want strong protection against DDoSing.
- Impressive 99.98% uptime
- Simple and user-friendly VPN with DDoS Protection
- Kill switch support for all major platforms
- Strict no-logs policy
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Service with the smallest server network on my list
- Lacks a split tunneling feature
ExpressVPN is one of the best gaming VPNs for a reason. It delivers fast speeds with its Lightway protocol, while still offering some of the best security features in the industry. In the context of this page, it ticks all of the boxes required for impeccable protection against DDoSing. ExpressVPN uses 256-bit encryption, a kill switch, and a split tunneling feature.
Like all of my other picks, it has a strict no-logs policy. It’s also based in the British Virgin Islands, a privacy-friendly jurisdiction. ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs around, although not quite as fast as my top pick NordVPN.
Apart from great DDoS protection, ExpressVPN is one of the best services for accessing streaming services like Netflix and BBC iPlayer. Undoubtedly one of the best VPNs around, ExpressVPN is also the most expensive service on my list. Additionally, it also supports the fewest simultaneous connections. With that in mind, it’s certainly not a suitable pick for everyone.
- Robust security and protection against DDoSing
- High-speed servers and in-house Lightway protocol
- Kill switch for all desktop platforms
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Great unblocking power
- The most expensive provider on my list
- No split tunneling support for iOS
Testing Methodology – Selecting the Best Anti-DDoS VPNs
When selecting a DDoS VPN, there are several important criteria to consider. Here are the key factors we took into consideration and which you should prioritize when picking a service:
- DDoSing Mitigation Capability — The most crucial criterion is the provider’s ability to effectively prevent DDoSing. In this regard, providers that have dedicated DDoS protection systems in place have an edge over their competitors.
- Network Capacity and Speed — DDoSing generates massive amounts of traffic, so the VPN provider should have sufficient network capacity to handle the increased load. Check if the provider offers high-speed connections and has a robust infrastructure to prevent service degradation during attacks.
- Server Network Size and Distribution — A large and geographically diverse server network is essential. It allows you to distribute incoming traffic across multiple servers, reducing the potential impact of DDoSing. Ensure that the VPN has servers in various locations to provide effective protection against attacks originating from different regions.
- Traffic Filtering and Load Balancing — Effective DDoSing protection involves traffic filtering mechanisms that can distinguish legitimate users from malicious traffic targeting a web server. The VPN service should have advanced filtering systems in place to ensure that only clean traffic passes through their network.
- Security Measures — Look for VPN providers that prioritize strong security measures. This includes robust encryption protocols, secure VPN tunneling, and a strict no-logs policy to ensure that your online activities and data remain private and protected.
- Reliability and Uptime — DDoSing can occur at any time, so it’s crucial to choose a VPN with a high level of reliability and uptime. Look for providers that guarantee a high percentage of server uptime to ensure continuous protection against these attacks.
- Customer Support — During a DDoS attack, prompt and effective customer support is vital. Ensure that the VPN service offers reliable and responsive customer support, preferably 24/7, so you can quickly seek assistance and guidance if you encounter any issues.
How DDoSing Can Affect You
DDoSing can have a negative effect on both individuals and organizations in several ways. Here are some of the most common examples of the implications such an attack can have:
Disruption of Services
DDoSing overwhelms a target’s resources, causing service disruptions. Websites may become inaccessible, online services may become slow or unresponsive, and network connectivity can be severely affected.
DDoSing can have significant financial implications. Businesses may experience revenue losses due to interrupted online transactions, decreased customer trust, and the need to invest in additional infrastructure or DDoS protection services. DDoSing can also lead to increased operational costs associated with recovery and remediation efforts.
Damage to Reputation
DDoS attacks can tarnish the reputation of individuals and organizations. Customers may lose trust in businesses that experience frequent disruptions, impacting their brand image and customer loyalty. For individuals, being targeted by DDoS attacks can raise concerns about privacy, security, and online safety.
Psychological and Emotional Impact
Lastly, it’s also important to note that being targeted by DDoSing can be a stressful and distressing experience. It may lead to feelings of helplessness, frustration, and anxiety, particularly for individuals who heavily rely on their online activities.
Can a VPN Protect You from DDoSing?
Yes, a VPN can provide a solid level of protection against DDoSing. Here’s how a VPN can help protect you from DDoSing:
- IP Address Protection — When you connect to a VPN, your real IP address is masked and replaced with the IP address of the VPN server. This adds an extra layer of anonymity, making it difficult for attackers to directly target your actual IP address.
- Traffic Encryption — A VPN encrypts your Internet traffic, meaning that the attackers have a more challenging task intercepting and manipulating your data packets during an attack. This encryption ensures the confidentiality and integrity of your data, preventing potential disruptions caused by tampering with the traffic.
With that in mind, let’s also address the limitations. While a VPN can protect your IP address and encrypt your traffic, it does not provide dedicated DDoS protection in the same way that specialized DDoS protection services or solutions do.
VPNs are primarily designed to enhance privacy and security, rather than solely focus on DDoS mitigation.
Can Free VPN Services Help Mitigate DDoS Attacks?
Free Virtual Private Networks, while enticing due to their cost-saving nature, are generally not the best choice when it comes to mitigating DDoS attacks. DDoSing is a serious problem, and it’s not wise to leave such an important matter to a free provider.
These services tend to prioritize cost-cutting measures over investing in advanced security features. This means they may lack the necessary network monitoring and traffic filtering systems required to detect and prevent DDoSing.
Another concern is the potential for malicious intent. Some free providers engage in questionable practices to generate revenue, such as selling user data or injecting ads into web pages.
This raises concerns about the trustworthiness and integrity of these services, making it difficult to rely on them for effective DDoS protection.
Even if this isn’t enough, there’s the question of performance. Free services often suffer from slower speeds and frequent connection drops due to a high number of users sharing limited resources.
Given the severity and disruptive nature of DDoS attacks, I advise you to invest in a reputable, paid VPN service that specifically emphasizes DDoS protection. All of my recommendations include money-back offers, so you can always get a refund if you change your mind about a VPN.
How to Beat DDoS Attacks with a VPN
While a VPN cannot entirely prevent or “beat” a DDoS attack, it can offer some level of protection and help mitigate the impact. Here are some steps to leverage a VPN in combination with other measures to prevent DDoS attacks:
- Choose a Reliable and Robust VPN Provider — Opt for a reputable VPN service known for its strong security measures and reliable infrastructure. Look for providers with a wide network of servers, robust encryption protocols, and a track record of handling DDoS attacks effectively.
- Enable DDoS Protection Features — Some VPN providers offer additional features or services specifically designed to prevent DDoSing. These features may include traffic filtering, load balancing, or anti-DDoS servers. Enable these features if they are available to enhance your protection.
- Always Use a Kill Switch — A kill switch is a crucial mechanism for preventing IP leaks in case your VPN connection drops. In other words, a kill switch protects your real IP address from getting exposed to the attacker.
- Use Dedicated IP Addresses — Consider using a VPN service that provides dedicated IP addresses. Dedicated IPs can help differentiate your traffic from that of other users, making it easier to detect and filter out malicious traffic during a DDoS attack.
- Monitor for Unusual Traffic Patterns — Keep an eye on your network traffic and monitor for any sudden increases or unusual patterns that could indicate a DDoS attack. If you notice suspicious activity, report it to your VPN provider’s support team for further assistance.
- Consider Multi-layered Security — Utilize a combination of security measures alongside your VPN to enhance your defenses. These may include firewall protection, intrusion detection and prevention systems, and traffic monitoring tools. Implementing a multi-layered security approach can help identify and deal with DDoS attacks more effectively.
VPN DDoS Attack FAQs
What is a DDoS attack?
DDoSing is a malicious act that aims to disrupt the functioning of a site, online service, or network. It involves flooding the victim’s system with a massive traffic volume from multiple computers, overwhelming its resources, and causing a denial of service.
What makes the best VPN for DDoS attacks?
The best VPN for DDoS protection should have a robust server infrastructure. It should employ traffic filtering mechanisms to detect and block malicious traffic, have strong encryption protocols, secure tunneling, and offer other protection features.
Can someone DDoS your VPN?
Yes, it is possible for someone to launch a DDoS attack against a VPN service. However, reputable VPN providers employ various measures to reduce the risk of DDoS attacks and maintain service availability.
Does NordVPN have DDoS protection?
Yes, as the best VPN service in the business, NordVPN offers strong protection features against DDoSing. It employs various security measures and encryption protocols to safeguard user data and enhance online security.
Is DDoSing illegal?
Yes, launching a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack is generally considered illegal in most jurisdictions. In the US, DDoSing is illegal both on a federal and state level, and security agencies take this offense very seriously.
Can a VPN protect you from DDoS?
A VPN primarily encrypts your traffic and routes it through a secure server, masking your IP address. It can help protect you from most DDoS attacks. However, it does not prevent the attack itself or provide direct mitigation.
Why would anyone want to DDoS me?
There can be several reasons why someone might want to launch a Distributed Denial of Service attack against you. Malicious online players might do so as an act of revenge or sabotage. Some online users might also DDoS you to blackmail or extort you.
VPNs for DDoS Protection – Summing It Up
VPNs for DDoS protection are essential for safeguarding your traffic and preventing DDoS attacks. By utilizing a VPN with DDoS protection, you can shield your real IP address, encrypt your Internet connection, and lessen the impact of DDoSing on your network.
The five VPNs I’ve shared with you are all adept at keeping your connection safe and ensuring the availability of your online services. Still, if you can’t decide which service best fits your needs, I recommend NordVPN as the best VPN with DDoS protection. It’s also the fastest VPN provider in the market and comes with very powerful features. Protect your device when browsing and playing online, and enjoy safe Internet traffic.