Share or tell us what you think in the comments!
For those who want to protect themselves from threads in all cases, it’s best to use an antivirus with a VPN together. Those two technologies would prevent you from malware and tracking on different levels. While antivirus software does protect your device and downloaded files, a VPN secures your data and privacy on the network. Luckily there is an antivirus with VPN bundles you could choose, but which one’s the best?
Here’s a list of the best antivirus with VPN packages in 2020:
- Norton 360 Deluxe with Norton Secure VPN – best value software pack in 2020
- Bitdefender Premium Security – with unlimited VPN
- Avira Prime with Phantom VPN – most comprehensive real-time detection
- AVG Ultimate – suitable for torrenting and P2P
- Panda Dome Premium – good threat prevention
How to choose the best antivirus with a VPN package?
It’s one thing to pick only one protection tool, but when it comes to software and feature combo it’s key to find the best one that fits your needs. You need to look for different features in both antivirus and VPN software to get the most protection out of them. So what to look for in each to get the most value?
What to look for when picking the best antivirus?
There are a few key elements that are essential when picking antivirus software. These elements and features are critical for antivirus software to properly detect and protect you from malware. Here are a few things to consider when choosing antivirus software:
- High malware detection rate: High malware detection rate is a critical component in antivirus software. It determines its ability to find, protect and defend from various malware such as viruses, trojans, ransomware, spyware, and others. The higher the malware detection rate the better. The comprehensive antivirus tests carried by the Independent IT-security Institute could tell the current state for many antimalware products on every platform.
- Performance load and scan time: Many defenders and virus protection software are very performance-intensive, meaning they use the device’s resources to continuously monitor and scan for the threats. It is known that such software might greatly low down your device therefore performance capabilities are essential. Scan time is also quite important since during this time the antivirus software uses the most computer resources – look for features such as Quick Scan or Custom scan for faster and better user experience.
- Real-time malware protection on the web: The biggest risk to be infected by malware is when browsing or downloading files, therefore you need real-time protection that software could scan the web pages before visiting, inspect files immediately after downloading and block unexpected scripts running on the websites that could steal your information. Real-time malware protection features are a must to stay safe online and prevent your device from being infected.
- Email scans: Along with real-time protection, an antivirus should also be able to scan your emails for phishing attacks that try to trick you into giving your personal information as well as scan for malicious email attachments that could be a scam.
- Compatibility: In case you are looking for software to be used on multiple devices do check the compatibility. Many antiviruses are available on Windows and Mac desktop devices, however, if you want to install them on iOS or Android some antivirus versions are not supported on mobile. Your device’s processor compatibility – is it 32-bit or 64-bit should also be taken into account.
What to look for in a VPN?
- Tracking protection: Not every VPN has tracking protection, but some have implemented features that allow yourself to prevent being tracked by advertisers online. Some more consumer-based stand-alone VPNs even offer an ad-blocker to block ads and malicious websites even without an antivirus program.
- Large server network: When using a VPN it is important not only to hide your data and browse privately but also when you want to unblock content around the world it is important to have many servers in different locations too. The more different countries a VPN network has the more various content you can unlock.
- Speeds: Good speeds on VPN is expected. When connected to a VPN server your internet speed could decrease about 5-30%, therefore, a VPN should be fast with unlimited bandwidth for you to be able to use streaming services and download files fast.
- Encryption and security: VPN’s security is based on the encryption protocols used. It is important that a VPN would have advanced and reliable protocols such as OpenVPN that uses AES-256 bit encryption. Other good protocols are IKEv2/IPSec, L2TP/IPSec or SSL based protocols.
- Kill switch and other advanced features: an internet Kill Switch is a feature that protects you from leaking your real IP address. This is especially important when downloading torrents or using other P2P traffic. Advanced features such as a kill switch would greatly improve your privacy online, but not every VPN has it.
Can you get a virus when using a VPN?
Even though a few VPN providers offer protection from malware, however, VPN alone only prevents to a certain extent from infecting your device. VPN’s main purpose is to secure, encrypt and hide your internet activity and unblock content anywhere and therefore it is still possible to get a virus using a VPN.
Do you need a VPN and antivirus together?
A VPN and antivirus serve different purposes and actually complement each other. A VPN would hide and protect your data when browsing online while antivirus would prevent your device from getting infected by malware while visiting websites or downloading files, therefore it is best to use both VPN and antivirus together.
Best Antivirus with VPN included in 2020
1. Norton 360 Deluxe Software package with an Unlimited VPN
Norton is probably the best antivirus with VPN in 2020 package that protects your device and provides an unlimited Norton Secure VPN traffic for online privacy. Its antivirus has great scores on AVTest Independent IT-Security Institute in performance, protection, and usability on both macOS and Windows platforms.
This is the best value pack so far since you get extra additional security features such as:
- 50GB of cloud storage
- Password Manager
- Online Thread protection
- 5 device support for both antivirus and VPN
- DarkWeb monitoring for personal data protection
Norton Secure VPN has servers in 28 countries and is suitable for privately browsing online. It uses a really secure OpenVPN protocol with AES-256 bit encryption. However, big cons if you like to watch Netflix or Torrent since this VPN does not support either of those – for that you’d rather take a look at NordVPN.
Norton has a 30-day free trial and even a 60-day money-back guarantee on its products.
2. Bitdefender Total Security 2020 Bundle with VPN
Bitdefender is also a great antivirus with a VPN package – its antivirus software is compatible with Windows, macOS, iOS, and Android and supports up to 5 devices at once.
The Anti-tracker feature that protects you online from malicious trackers on the websites is a great addition in the new edition in 2020. Bitdefender Total Security Package includes a free 200 MB / day encrypted VPN traffic however if you want the unlimited traffic you should add the extra to the bundle. Bitdefender Premium VPN is not stand-alone software and can only be run as a part of its product suite.
It does have a 30-day money-back guarantee policy.
3. Avira Prime: Antivirus with Phantom VPN included
This antivirus is a great choice to protect not only your devices but with real-time threat detection and protection from malware. It blocks infected websites and ad-trackers.
Avira’s Prime combo also comes with a password manager that manages unhackable passwords for every account. Also, a great PC cleaner helps optimize the performance of your 5 devices that you could use this antivirus on.
Its VPN says it holds no logs, uses bank-grade encryption and has 36 countries to connect to. It does have a kill-switch too, which is a huge bonus for a VPN to have. Avira’s Phantom VPN is everything that a basic VPN should have.
4. AVG Secure VPN with an Internet Security Package
AVG Security Package comes with Web and Email scans, protection from all malware, privacy and even secures online payments. Its antivirus is one of the best in the industry and offers protection from 1 to 10 devices on any platform with mobile included.
It also creates a secure layer around your folders to protect from ransomware, blocks infectious links and fake websites, as well as the ability to optimize the performance of your device.
AVG Secure VPN has great encryption and also supports P2P and also has streaming dedicated servers, which is a rare thing for an antivirus VPN to have. It does, however, have concerns regarding logging policy – even though it does not keep connection logs, but does collect a timestamp, your IP address and data usage information.
5. Panda Dome Premium with VPN included
Panda’s Premium combo comes with an unlimited Panda Dome VPN with 22 server locations available for unblocking any content. Its antivirus has great performance and malware detection algorithms to protect your devices on any platform.
Panda Dome VPN, however, can only be run alongside antivirus and is not available as standalone. Its features are also quite limited and very basic – no kill switch, no customization or settings, however, decent speeds and good for torrenting with a no-log policy.
Panda’s Dome Premiums pack comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee and allows you to test everything that comes with this bundle.
Conclusion – Editor’s Comment
Antivirus companies are really good at making their primary product – an antivirus and malware protection software, however, when it comes to a VPN it usually lacks essential features such as a Kill Switch, DNS protection, P2P supports and a good server network with great speeds. If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution – Norton’s 360 Deluxe Package is probably the best on the market in terms for money-to-value ratio, but if you’re looking for a standalone VPN which could unblock Netflix, supports torrenting, has lightning speeds on a wide global server network – I would suggest you look at NordVPN.
Share or tell us what you think in the comments!