CyberGhost vs NordVPN — Which Is Better in 2023?
Short on Time? We think that NordVPN is a better overall service.
CyberGhost and NordVPN are two of the most popular VPNs on the market. They both provide excellent security and privacy features and have fast speeds. Also, both VPNs unblock popular streaming platforms and have easy-to-use apps.
Still, there are a few noticeable differences between NordVPN and CyberGhost. Before going into more details, here’s a quick summary:
NordVPN vs CyberGhost VPN — Quick Overview
|Security||✅ 256-bit AES encryption|
✅ Kill switch
✅ Full leak protection
✅ RAM-only servers
✅ Perfect forward secrecy
✅ Ad blocker
|✅ 256-bit AES encryption|
✅ Kill switch
✅ Full leak protection
✅ RAM-only servers
✅ Perfect forward secrecy
✅ Ad blocker
|✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Server Network||9,700+ servers|
|P2P Support||✅ 8,900+ servers|
|✅ 4,500 servers|
|Refund Policy||45 days|
(on long-term plans)
NordVPN vs CyberGhost VPN — Security and Privacy Features
|256-bit AES encryption||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Leak protection||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Kill switch||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|No-logs policy||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|RAM-only servers||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Perfect forward secrecy||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
Both NordVPN and CyberGhost have excellent security features to protect your online traffic. For example, both providers come with strong security features like:
- Military-grade encryption. Also known as 256-bit AES encryption, it’s very secure and makes your traffic completely unreadable.
- No-logs policy. Both providers have a strict no-logs policy that has been independently audited. Plus, they are located in privacy-friendly countries that are not members of The 5/9/14 Eyes Alliance.
- Full leak protection. CyberGhost and NordVPN have protection against IPv6 leaks, DNS leaks, and WebRTC leaks. Our team ran leak tests while connected to 10+ servers from each provider, and we never saw any leaks.
- Kill switch. This feature will disconnect your device from the internet. This way, no one can see your traffic if the VPN connection drops. CyberGhost has an always-on kill switch, preventing you from accidentally turning it off and exposing your real IP address. If you find this a little extreme, NordVPN’s basic kill switch can be turned off. In addition to the basic kill switch, NordVPN has also an app-based kill switch. This closes only selected apps when you’re not connected to a VPN server, which is more convenient.
- RAM-only servers. This advanced security feature ensures that the data is not written to the hard drive. As a result, every server reset wipes all data.
- Perfect forward secrecy. This feature changes the encryption key for every VPN connection. This way, malicious actors can’t hack future or past keys to spy on your traffic.
What’s more, both providers have secure and fast protocols like IKEv2/IPSec and OpenVPN. CyberGhost also has WireGuard, and NordVPN has a proprietary protocol — NordLynx. This protocol is built around WireGuard, but it has a few privacy tweaks to make it safer.
CyberGhost vs NordVPN — Streaming Performance
|Works with Netflix||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Works with BBC iPlayer|
|✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Number of Streaming Services||50+||30+|
|Smart DNS||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
Both providers have excellent streaming support. CyberGhost has more variety, claiming to work with 50+ streaming platforms. However, in our tests, we couldn’t unblock lesser-known streaming apps all the time like Pluto TV or VRV.
On the other hand, we were able to access all streaming platforms with NordVPN without issues.
We connected to multiple Netflix libraries from around the world and we were able to access them with both VPN providers. Also, both NordVPN and CyberGhost can unblock streaming apps like BBC iPlayer, HBO Max, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Crunchyroll, and Comedy Central.
Both VPNs offer a smart DNS. This tool is super convenient because it helps you unblock streaming platforms on devices that don’t support VPNs, like smart TVs or consoles.
CyberGhost claims that its smart DNS unblocks Netflix US, Netflix UK, and Hulu US all the time. Also, NordVPN’s smart DNS consistently unblocks Netflix US and Hulu US.
Plus, NordVPN has an extra feature for streaming, called SmartPlay. This combines VPN security and smart DNS technology so streaming services won’t block your VPN connection easily. SmartPlay is automatically enabled on all of the provider’s VPN servers.
NordVPN vs CyberGhost — Torrenting and P2P Features
|P2P Servers||8,900+ servers in 75+ countries||4,500+ servers in 45+ countries|
|Port Forwarding||❌ No||❌ No|
|SOCKS5 Proxy||❌ No||✅ Yes|
|Works with Popular Torrent Clients||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
While CyberGhost allows torrenting on more servers, NordVPN offers faster downloading speeds.
Both VPN services work with popular P2P apps like qBittorent, uTorrent, and Vuze. Also, they both have strong security features to protect your data while torrenting. For example, they have a kill switch, full leak protection, and military-grade encryption. Also, the VPNs have an audited no-logs policy, so they don’t store your data.
What’s more, NordVPN also has Threat Protection that scans for malicious executable files that you might accidentally download on your devices. Plus, it also blocks ads and connections to malicious P2P sites.
In contrast, CyberGhost has a Content Blocker that also blocks shady sites. However, in our tests, the feature didn’t block all ads on P2P sites.
In addition to this, NordVPN also has SOCKS5 proxy servers, which CyberGhost lacks. These servers change your IP address just like a VPN does, but they don’t use encryption. This way, you’ll have much faster downloading speeds.
CyberGhost vs. NordVPN — Other Features Overview
|Obfuscation||❌ No||✅ Yes|
|Split-Tunneling||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Ad Blocker||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Tor Network Support||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Double VPN||❌ No||✅ Yes|
Dark Web Monitor
Onion over VPN
NordVPN and CyberGhost offer a bunch of useful extra features that make streaming, torrenting, and browsing safer and more enjoyable.
For example, both VPNs offer split-tunneling. This feature lets you choose which apps use the VPN connection and which ones use your regular internet connection. This way, you can have better speeds, which is very useful.
CyberGhost has split-tunneling on Android. With NordVPN you’ll have better support because this feature is available on Android and Windows.
Also, NordVPN and CyberGhost have ad blockers. In our tests, both can block connections to shady sites. However, NordVPN constantly blocks all ads on regular sites as well. In our tests, CyberGhost VPN’s ad blocker couldn’t block most ads while browsing on different sites. And on top of blocking ads and shady sites, NordVPN’s ad blocker can also protect you from malicious downloads.
Plus, both CyberGhost and NordVPN have Tor support. This means you can surf the dark web while connected to their servers to enjoy better privacy. NordVPN also has an Onion over VPN feature. This lets you access the Tor network without using the Tor browser. Once you connect to an Onion over VPN server, you can start browsing dark websites on Chrome, Opera, or Firefox, which is very convenient.
Bonus features that only CyberGhost has, which NordVPN doesn’t have:
- NoSpy servers. These servers provide extra security because only CyberGhost VPN’s in-house staff has access to them. In addition, their servers are located in Romania, which is a country that doesn’t have mandatory data retention laws.
- Smart Rules. This feature lets you customize VPN connection preferences based on your needs. For instance, you can configure the VPN client to connect to a specific server and open a selected app on launch.
- Identity Guard. Alerts you if your passwords and email address leak on the dark web.
Bonus features that only NordVPN has, which CyberGhost VPN lacks:
- Obfuscation. This feature is very useful in restrictive countries like China, which constantly blocks popular sites and apps. Obfuscated servers make your VPN traffic look like normal internet traffic. This way, your data is secured with an extra layer of encryption, which makes your VPN data untraceable.
- Double VPN. This sends your data through 2 server locations instead of just 1 server. This way, your traffic is secured with an extra layer of encryption.
- Tapjacking protection. Protects you against malicious apps that add screen overlays, which could compromise your data. By adding a screen overlay, these apps trick you into performing actions that will show sensitive data. Most often, this happens when you access your bank account. When NordVPN’s tapjacking protection detects that an app added screen overlay, it sends you a notification immediately.
- Dark Web Monitor. Scans the dark web and sends you alerts if your NordVPN login credentials have been leaked.
- Meshnet. Lets you link up to 60 devices over encrypted VPN connections. This feature is perfect for when you travel and want to transfer files from your laptop to your smartphone and vice versa. Meshnet uses NordLynx, so you’ll get very fast speeds.
CyberGhost vs NordVPN — Speed Comparison
|CyberGhost Nearby Servers||NordVPN Nearby Servers||CyberGhost Distant Servers||NordVPN Distant Servers|
|Website Loading Times||Very fast||Very fast||Very fast||Very fast|
|HD Video Loading Time||Very fast||Very fast||Minor buffering||Very fast|
|4K Video Loading Time||Very fast||Very fast||Minor buffering||Very fast|
|16 GB File Download Time||11-14 minutes||8-10 minutes||17-20 minutes||11-14 minutes|
Both NordVPN and CyberGhost have blazing-fast speeds on nearby servers. However, NordVPN is faster on distant servers.
In our speed tests, we connected to NordVPN’s distant and nearby servers. Sites loaded instantly and we didn’t notice any buffering while streaming HD and 4K videos. Even when we skipped through the videos, we didn’t see any quality drops.
Also, when we connected to nearby servers, we were able to download 16 GB files in just 8-10 minutes. The same files took around 11-14 minutes to download on distant servers.
At the same time, CyberGhost provides fast download speed on nearby servers, but has some slowdowns on distant servers. On nearby servers, websites loaded instantly, and we could watch HD and 4K videos without noticing quality drops. Plus, a 16 GB file took around 11-14 minutes to download.
However, on distant servers, we could notice minor buffering when we skipped through the videos. Also, the same 16 GB files downloaded in 17-20 minutes.
CyberGhost VPN vs NordVPN — Server Network
|Number of Servers||9,700+||5,500+|
|Number of Countries||90+||55+|
|P2P Servers||8,900 servers in 75+ countries||4,500 servers in 45+ countries|
|Dedicated IPs||The US|
|Specialized Servers||NoSpy servers||Onion over VPN servers|
CyberGhost has a large server network with 9,700+ servers in 90+ countries. In contrast, NordVPN has 5,500+ servers in 55+ countries. So, with CyberGhost, it’s easier to find nearby servers for fast speeds.
Also, CyberGhost has more torrenting servers than NordVPN, which makes it one of the best VPNs for torrenting. In addition to this, CyberGhost has NoSpy servers, which provide much better privacy.
With CyberGhost, you also get 100+ streaming servers in 20+ countries that work with 50+ streaming services.
On the other hand, NordVPN has Onion over VPN servers, which makes Tor browsing much easier. Also, NordVPN has obfuscated servers, which are perfect if you’re traveling to countries that limit VPN use.
What’s more, both VPN services offer dedicated IPs for an additional cost. This is very useful because you’ll get your own IP instead of sharing the same IP address with everyone. This way, you’ll see less reCAPTCHAs, and banks will be less likely to block your VPN connection.
CyberGhost has dedicated IP addresses in 5+ countries, including the US, the UK, Germany, France, and Japan. In contrast, NordVPN offers dedicated IP addresses in the US, the UK, Germany, France, and the Netherlands.
NordVPN vs CyberGhost — Apps and Ease of Use
|iOS App||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|macOS App||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Linux App||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Android App||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Windows App||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Router Support||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Browser Extensions||✅ Firefox, Chrome||✅ Firefox, Chrome, Edge|
Both providers have good apps available on most popular platforms, like Android, Windows, iOS, macOS, and Linux. In our tests, we never experienced technical issues when we used NordVPN apps or CyberGhost apps.
In addition to this, both NordVPN and CyberGhost have router support, meaning you can set them up on your router. If you do that, all devices that use your router will use the encrypted VPN connection. This way, smart TVs and consoles will have VPN encryption as well.
|Live Chat||✅ Yes||✅ Yes (24/7)|
|Email Support||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Tutorials||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Troubleshooting Guides||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
Both VPNs have live chat support, which is very useful when you need quick answers. We tested the live chat features and we were always connected to helpful and knowledgeable customer support representatives.
Also, both VPNs claim that they offer 24/7 live chat. However, in our tests, we weren’t always able to chat with CyberGhost VPN’s reps. In contrast, NordVPN’s live chat feature worked every time.
Both CyberGhost and NordVPN offer email support. We always got a reply within a few hours and the answers were helpful.
What’s more, the VPNs have an in-depth support library on their sites. You can find useful and up-to-date FAQs, troubleshooting guides, and setup tutorials.
NordVPN vs CyberGhost — Plans and Prices
|Free Plan||❌ No||❌ No|
|Payment Options||credit/debit cards|
|Money-Back Guarantee||14 days for the 1-month plan|
45 days for long-term plans
CyberGhost and NordVPN have different pricing, but they both offer great value.
CyberGhost comes with a 1-month, a 6-month, and a 2-year plan (that comes with 2 extra months for free). Also, you can use the VPN on 7 simultaneous devices.
NordVPN comes with a 1-month, a 1-year, and a 2-year plan. What’s more, every plan has 3 tier-based subscriptions: Standard, Plus, and Complete. Also, the VPN allows 6 simultaneous connections. Standard comes with all VPN features, Plus adds NordPass (a password manager), and Complete adds NordLocker, a cloud encryption service.
What’s more, both VPNs accept credit/debit cards, Google Pay, PayPal, and cryptocurrency payments. Also, they back their plans with a money-back guarantee. While NordVPN has an industry-standard refund of 30 days for all its plans, CyberGhost VPN offers a generous 45-day refund for long-term plans.
Which VPN Should I Choose?
It really depends on what you’re looking for. Here are the highlights of this article:
- NordVPN provides faster speeds and consistently unblocks all streaming services.
- CyberGhost offers 7 simultaneous connections, while NordVPN only 6.
- NordVPN has 24/7 live chat, while CyberGhostVPN’s live chat is not always available.
- CyberGhost has more server locations than NordVPN (90+ countries vs. 55+ countries).
- NordVPN has SOCKS5 proxy servers, which provide faster speeds when torrenting.
- CyberGhost offers a more generous refund for longer plans than NordVPN (45 days vs. 30 days).
- NordVPN’s Threat Protection blocks ads and malicious sites better than CyberGhost VPN’s Content Blocker, which doesn’t block all ads. Also, Threat Protection prevents malicious downloads.
- CyberGhost VPN offers dedicated IP addresses in more locations than NordVPN.
Bottom Line — NordVPN Wins Over CyberGhost VPN
Overall, NordVPN is better than CyberGhost. It has more security and privacy features which make it better for browsing, streaming, and torrenting. In addition to this, NordVPN has Lightway. This is its proprietary protocol that provides even better security and blazing-fast internet speeds.
It also has obfuscation, which is very useful if you’re using the VPN in restrictive countries.
Compared to NordVPN, CyberGhost has a larger server network. So it’s a good choice if you’re just looking for a secure VPN with servers near your location.
- Private Internet Access vs NordVPN
- IPVanish vs NordVPN
- Surfshark vs. NordVPN
- ExpressVPN vs. NordVPN
- ProtonVPN vs NordVPN
- CyberGhost vs ExpressVPN
FAQs CyberGhost vs NordVPN
Here are the most common questions people ask about NordVPN and CyberGhost:
Is CyberGhost better than NordVPN?
Overall, not really. CyberGhost has a larger server network than NordVPN. Since it has servers located in 90+ countries, it’s much easier to find a nearby server to connect to.
However, NordVPN still provides faster speeds on all servers compared to CyberGhost. Also, it can consistently unblock different streaming apps. What’s more, NordVPN has a bunch of security features that CyberGhost lacks. For example, obfuscation, dark web monitor, double VPN, Meshnet, Threat Protection, and tapjacking protection.
Which VPN Is Faster Between CyberGhost and NordVPN?
Both VPNs provide fast speeds, but NordVPN is better if you connect to distant servers.
When we connected to nearby servers, both VPNs had blazing-fast speeds and sites loaded instantly. Plus, we could stream HD and 4K videos without noticing any buffering or quality drops. However, we noticed minor buffering when connecting to CyberGhost VPN’s distant servers.
Which VPN Is More Secure — NordVPN or CyberGhost?
Both VPNs are very secure and have strong features to protect your data. However, NordVPN has a bunch of extra security features compared to CyberGhost.
For example, tapjacking protection, Threat Protection, Meshnet, and dark web monitor. In addition to this, NordVPN has NordLynx which is its proprietary protocol. It’s built around WireGuard, but it has a few privacy tweaks to make it even safer.
Which Is the Best VPN for Streaming — CyberGhost or NordVPN?
CyberGhost might have a larger server network so you can access more streaming apps. However, it doesn’t consistently unblock less popular streaming services like Pluto TV and VRV. On the other hand, NordVPN unblocks all streaming apps without issues so it’s better for streaming.
In addition to this, NordVPN has SmartPlay on all its servers. This feature combines smart DNS technology with VPN security, which makes it harder for streaming sites to detect your VPN connection.
Which One Is Better for Torrenting — NordVPN or CyberGhost?
NordVPN is better than CyberGhost for torrenting. It provides faster speeds on both nearby and distant servers. In our tests, we could download 16 GB files in 11-14 minutes when we connected to distant servers. With CyberGhost, torrenting the same files took 17-20 minutes.
Also, NordVPN has SOCKS5 proxy servers. These change your IP address without encrypting your web traffic, so you’ll have even faster speeds. Plus, NordVPN’s Threat Protection scans all executable files you download on your devices so you won’t accidentally download malware.
CyberGhost has 8,900+ P2P servers in 75+ countries, while NordVPN has 4,500+ dedicated P2P servers in 45+ countries. So if you’re only looking for a VPN with a huge server network, CyberGhost is a better option.
Is NordVPN Cheaper than CyberGhost?
No, NordVPN tends to cost a little bit more than CyberGhost, depending on the plan you subscribe to. However, the price difference is minor, usually not more than $1-$2.
Also, NordVPN offers a bunch of security and privacy features that make your browsing, streaming, and torrenting more enjoyable. So, even if NordVPN costs a bit more, it provides excellent value.