Does AirVPN work with Netflix in 2023? AirVPN Netflix Alternatives
If you’ve ever tried watching Netflix abroad, you might’ve noticed that it differs from the Netflix back home that you’re used to watching. This is because Netflix features different catalogs, based on the licensing contracts it has in each particular market. From a casual user’s perspective, this is an annoying obstacle. Fortunately, there’s an easy way to fix this, with the help of a VPN.
To help you out and ensure you pick a good VPN, I decided to test the most popular services and see how they work on Netflix. I’ll review AirVPN’s Netflix-unblocking capabilities, and possible fixes, and share the best alternative services you can try out.
Get A VPN That Works With Netflix
Which Netflix Catalogs Can AirVPN Access?
Unfortunately, you can’t use AirVPN to watch Netflix in any region. While AirVPN could previously unblock Netflix libraries, it seems that it has become one of the services that have completely been blocked by the streaming giant.
That said, you shouldn’t be discouraged by this, as you can still watch Netflix using one of many other Virtual Private Network companies. If you want to enjoy your home Netflix when abroad or browse local Netflix libraries, my recommendation is NordVPN. It’s the most capable service for securely accessing Netflix and enjoying its content in different regions.
Test Your VPN Knowledge – Take A Quiz!
What To Do If AirVPN is Not Working with Netflix?
If you’ve found no luck in your AirVPN Netflix combination, there are several things you can try to remedy the issue. Here’s what to do if AirAVPN isn’t working with Netflix:
- Connect to a Different Server — Try connecting to a different server location provided. Sometimes, certain servers may be blocked by Netflix, while others might work. If the problem persists, try connecting to multiple countries.
- Update Your VPN App — Ensure that you are using the latest version of your VPN app, as updates may include improvements to bypass Netflix’s restrictions.
- Clear Cache and Cookies — Clear your browser’s cache and cookies, as these might affect your VPN’s functionality with Netflix.
- Contact Support — Reach out to customer support for assistance. They can offer specific advice or have dedicated servers optimized for streaming Netflix.
AirVPN ‘Netflix Blocked’ Workaround
While you can’t use AirVPN to watch Netflix, there’s a workaround that will allow you to enjoy the movies and TV shows on Netflix. The easiest and most effective solution, as I’ve mentioned above, is to pick a different VPN. A steadfast service with global server coverage and speedy connections can help you unblock geo-restricted content.
Other than that, there’s no alternative workaround you can use to resolve the issue. Proxies are even more prone to detection. Moreover, Tor, which is excellent for unblocking sites, is too slow to provide reliable access to Netflix’s content offerings.
Bypass Netflix Block With NordVPN.
How Netflix Blocks VPNs
Netflix blocks VPNs through a combination of techniques designed to detect and restrict access from VPN IP addresses. One of the primary methods used is IP blacklisting. It maintains a list of known VPN server IP addresses and actively blocks them from accessing its catalog. When a user connects to the site through a VPN, it can recognize the VPN’s IP address and prevent it from accessing the catalog.
Another method involves analyzing traffic patterns. VPN traffic tends to exhibit certain characteristics, such as multiple users with the same IP address and high data usage. The site can use these patterns to identify and block VPN-related traffic.
Of course, this can be an instance in which multiple household members are using the service. However, if more than a couple of users share the same IP, especially in sporadic sessions during vastly differing times, this can raise a red flag for the platform’s system.
Additionally, it employs DNS filtering, where it inspects DNS requests to determine if they are coming from the VPN’s servers. If detected, the user can’t load up any Netflix content. This is one of the methods that make it challenging for inferior VPNs to reliably go around Netflix’s geo-restrictions.
To circumvent these measures, providers must constantly update their IP addresses and adapt their protocols to avoid detection. However, Netflix is also consistently improving its anti-VPN technology to maintain control over its content distribution and licensing agreements. This is why AirVPN and many other providers struggle to access Netflix.
AirVPN Netflix Alternatives – VPNs That Unblock Netflix
Unfortunately, there’s no special workaround you can try to watch Netflix with AirVPN. Luckily, there are a few proven AirVPN Netflix alternatives. You can use these services to watch content on Netflix and other streaming providers. Here’s a quick rundown of my top five streaming VPN picks for unblocking Netflix:
- NordVPN — This service has been my top Netflix VPN for quite a while. It’s the best all-around solution for streaming on Netflix and all other platforms. Its entire network is optimized for speed and offers great unblocking power. What’s more, the VPN provider’s in-house NordLynx protocol is up to two times faster than other protocols, making it a clear top pick as the best streaming solution.
- Surfshark — Surfshark is one of the top-performing VPNs in terms of the sheer scale of libraries it can access in different regions. Additionally, it supports unlimited simultaneous connections, ensuring that there aren’t any limitations on its part on how many devices you can enjoy Netflix and other sites on.
- Atlas VPN — Atlas VPN is a solid and affordable choice for casual users who don’t need robust unblocking power. It can still access the platform in over half a dozen popular regions but isn’t quite on the level of my first two picks. Moreover, it offers a data-limited free plan, which includes streaming-optimized servers.
- PrivateVPN — With an uptime of 99.98%, PrivateVPN offers uncompromising stability, ideal for long streaming sessions for those who like to binge their favorite content on Netflix. It also delivers stable speeds on remote servers, making it a good pick for users who want to explore content in distant countries.
- ExpressVPN — ExpressVPN offers lightning-fast connectivity, strong encryption, and powerful unblocking. It has some of the best-designed apps in the industry and covers a long list of devices you can enjoy Netflix on. Overall, it’s an impeccable service whose only downside are its pricey expensive plans.
How To Stream Content on Netflix Using a VPN
Once you’ve picked a VPN that can reliably access Netflix, the next thing to do is to set up the service. This process is very straightforward and won’t take you more than a couple of minutes. That said, to help guide you through this process, I’ve prepared a step-by-step guide, coupled with helpful images. Here’s how to use a VPN to access Netflix’s library in any region:
- Download the app from the service you’ve picked (my top recommendation is NordVPN).
- Log into the app.
- Select a preferred server and connect to it.
- Open your Netflix app and enjoy the newly-available titles!
Do Free VPNs Work With Netflix?
Most free VPNs don’t work with Netflix. Since free services usually have a limited number of servers and many users, they are prone to detection and blocking by Netflix’s geo-restriction mechanisms.
Additionally, free providers don’t prioritize efforts to consistently unblock Netflix, as they often lack the resources and infrastructure required for regular updates and maintenance. Consequently, even if you manage to stream Netflix with a free VPN, the quality of the stream may be poor due to server congestion and slow speeds.
If you want to reliably access Netflix content and enjoy a smooth experience, I advise you to invest in a reputable paid VPN with a proven track record of bypassing geo-restrictions and offering better privacy and performance features. Doing so will help you ensure unrestricted access whenever you want to stream on Netflix.
AirVPN Netflix FAQs
What is the best VPN for Netflix?
NordVPN is the best Netflix VPN. It offers a huge server library and is capable of securely accessing Netflix overseas or home Netflix when traveling abroad. With this service, you can enjoy streaming content worldwide without any annoying roadblocks.
Why isn’t my VPN working with Netflix?
If your service isn’t working with Netflix, it’s likely that your server’s IP has been detected. In this case, try clearing your browser cache and cookies and connecting to a different server. If this doesn’t work, consider switching to a different service.
Which is the best Netflix library?
The US library is often considered one of the most comprehensive, but other regions like the UK, Canada, and Japan also have appealing content. Of course, having the biggest library doesn’t mean having the best video catalog. This is a subjective choice.
Can I use a VPN with Netflix?
Yes, you can use a VPN to explore Netflix libraries. However, Netflix actively blocks many VPN servers, leading to sporadic restrictions. For this reason, it’s crucial to choose a reputable VPN with a history of working with Netflix.
Does Netflix ban VPN users?
Netflix doesn’t ban users outright for using VPNs. However, they have measures in place to restrict those using VPNs or proxies from accessing content from regions outside their actual location.
Why doesn’t Netflix work with VPN?
The main reason why your VPN isn’t working with Netflix is that this streaming service has blocked the VPN’s IP address. If this happens, you need to connect to a different server (perhaps in a different country), which hasn’t been flagged by Netflix.
Is there any free VPN for Netflix?
Free VPNs can rarely deliver consistent results when it comes to accessing Netflix. Generally, you’re always better off picking a premium service. That said, some free VPNs for Netflix worth trying out are Atlas VPN and Proton VPN.
Cybersecurity and VPN researcher