5 Best VPNs for Europe in 2023
Whether you live or plan on traveling to Europe, or live on a different continent and want to access European sites and services, a VPN for Europe is the best way to do so. A quality VPN for Europe can help you access different European countries, all while securing your data and protecting you from nosy snoopers.
That said, when choosing a VPN for Europe, you have to be mindful of many different aspects. From data retention policies and online privacy and security features to various performance characteristics. Having said that, we’ve researched all of this to bring you the best VPNs with European servers in 2023.
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Europe.
- Surfshark – Lightweight service with many European servers.
- AtlasVPN – Well-rounded VPN with unlimited connections.
- PrivateVPN – Simple service ideal for beginners.
- ExpressVPN – Uncompromising security and strong unblocking power.
Why Use a Europe VPN?
Most European countries are very libertarian and promote free speech and freedom for every person. Having that in mind, why would you need to use a VPN for Europe? In short, there are several motives for using a VPN in a European country, regardless of whether you live in a more liberal or authoritarian country. Here are the biggest reasons why you should use a Europe VPN:
- Stronger Online Privacy and Security – While most European countries don’t censor free speech or have authoritarian governments, it doesn’t mean that they don’t implement online surveillance measures. In fact, even in many EU countries, governments monitor their citizen’s online activities. If you live in Europe and want to avoid this, a VPN is a simple but effective solution. By using a VPN, you can secure your device and protect your online data from any snoopers.
- Content Unblocking – Some of the world’s biggest streaming services are based in European countries, but are often confined to their origin country. For example, big streaming platforms like ITV and the BBC iPlayer are only available to UK residents. To gain access, you need a UK IP address, which you can easily obtain by signing up with a dependable VPN.
- Anonymous Torrenting – Torrenting activities are heavily restricted in many European countries, especially in the EU. Moreover, penalties for such activities are often very rigorous, as those caught torrenting may even face jail time. A VPN with European servers will ensure all of your torrenting activities are anonymous and completely private.
- Better Performance – Lastly, a VPN with European servers might even help some users get better online speeds and more stable Internet connections. This can be true for you if your ISP is throttling your bandwidth without you knowing about it.
Top 5 VPNs for Europe Servers
NordVPN holds the firm position of being the top pick for Europe VPN services. This ultra-fast VPN offers an outstanding network of over 5,300 servers in 60 countries around the world. Focusing on its European servers, NordVPN covers nearly 40 countries with its servers. All of its European servers support the service’s in-house NordLynx protocol. Speaking of NordLynx, it’s easily one of the most impressive protocols, offering speeds up to twice as fast as other protocols.
While all of NordVPN’s servers support regular browsing, the majority of its servers are also optimized for smooth, fast, and private P2P file sharing. In addition, over a dozen NordVPN European servers support VPN obfuscation. A handful of its European servers also support dedicated IP options, meaning that you can purchase your own IP that won’t be shared with any other user.
As a premium VPN service, NordVPN also comes with unique and very handy features. Firstly, this includes the Double VPN feature, which allows you to route your traffic through two European servers, effectively doubling your encryption. Furthermore, there’s also an Onion Over VPN feature that enables you to combine the features of a VPN with the anonymity of the Onion Router.
Based in Panama, NordVPN is also one of the safest and most trustworthy VPNs around. It has a strict no-logs policy and protects your data non-stop with a kill switch and DNS leak protection. The service is also great for gaming, as it also offers DDoS protection. Lastly, NordVPN provides impeccable customer support that’s available around the clock.
- Thousands of lightning-fast and well-optimized servers
- Unblocks all the major streaming sites
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption to protect you from DDoS attacks and other online threats
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark has an above-average server network numbering 3,000+ servers across 65 countries, over half of which are in Europe. All of Surfshark’s servers support a handful of basic protocols, as well as the excellent WireGuard protocol. Each server is RAM-based and offers at least one 1 Gbps port. Some even offer 10 Gbps ports, guaranteeing fast connection speeds that can keep up with your base network connection.
Additionally, all European servers come with the Camouflage Mode feature, which masks the fact that you’re connected to a VPN server. That way, no one, even your ISP, can tell when you’re connected to a VPN server. Apart from this, Surfshark has several other advanced features. Some of the most impressive ones include CleanWeb, Bypasser, and NoBorders Mode. Naturally, there’s also strong 256-bit encryption.
Surfshark is based in the British Virgin Islands, which have a very favorable stance towards online privacy. What’s more, this VPN doesn’t monitor, track, or store any of your online activities. It comes with DNS and IP leak protection, and an advanced kill switch. On top of this, it allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices per single subscription.
- A very affordable VPN provider
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- A fast and light WireGuard protocol
- Allows split-tunneling and has a multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and robust security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
3. Atlas VPN
AtlasVPN currently offers 750 servers across 40 locations. This includes over 20 European countries. All of Atlas VPN’s European servers support the WireGuard protocol and come with private DNS. Additionally, every Atlas VPN server is suitable for torrenting, as they are all P2P optimized.
This VPN comes packed with some truly awesome performance features. Some of the best and most useful ones include SafeSwap, MultiHop+, and split tunneling. The first two are particularly interesting, as they allow you to access the Internet from several IP addresses and use multiple VPN locations, respectively. Additionally, Atlas VPN is one of few VPNs for Europe that support unlimited connections per one subscription plan.
Moreover, Atlas VPN doesn’t lack when it comes to privacy and security. You can rely on a Tracker Blocker tool, data breach monitor, and a kill switch. Plus, like most top VPNs for Europe, Atlas VPN offers 256-bit encryption to protect all of your data when you’re connected to its servers.
Besides all of this, Atlas VPN also offers an impressive free VPN service. We’ll get to this later down the page. Looking at its paid subscription plans, Atlas VPN is one of the most affordable services around, which is superb considering it’s one of the best all-around VPNs for Europe.
If you’d like to find out more about this VPN, please check out our AtlasVPN Review.
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Helpful against an ISP throttling your connection
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol, DNS leak protection, and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Limited Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN is a fantastic VPN for beginners and casual users who want a VPN with European servers. This VPN has over 200 servers in 63 countries worldwide. More specifically, it offers you IP addresses in over 30 European countries. All of these servers support standard protocols such as OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, PPTP, and IKEv2.
This VPN is super simple to use and even offers you two app designs, one with a simple with and one with an advanced view. If you don’t want to fiddle with any advanced settings, you can use the simple view for easy access and server selection. On the other hand, if you want to tailor some specific settings, the advanced view offers you a number of customizable options. For example, you can set your connection type or even choose the encryption level.
PrivateVPN is also very capable in terms of unblocking different streaming sites. This is in part thanks to its Stealth VPN feature, which can access even some of the most restrictive regions. Another trait that makes PrivateVPN so great for streaming is the fact that it has a 99.98% uptime. In other words, connection drops seldom occur.
The service is based in Sweden, which is, unfortunately, a part of the Fourteen Eyes international surveillance organization. However, this shouldn’t deter you from using PrivateVPN, as the service maintains a strict no-logs policy backed up by DNS and IP leak protection.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN offers excellent coverage of European countries. Of its 3000 servers in 90 countries, over 50 European countries and territories have found their way onto this list. So, no matter which part of Europe you live in, you can count on fast and reliable ExpressVPN servers in your region. Moreover, all of ExpressVPN’s European servers support the innovative Lightway protocol.
ExpressVPN’s powerful VPN obfuscation feature enables you to bypass restrictive VPN blocks and access the Internet from any region in the world. It’s so robust that it can allow you to access European servers from countries like China and Russia. With ExpressVPN, you never have to worry about being unable to access sites.
The service allows you to connect up to five devices simultaneously and offers apps for all major device platforms, as well as several browser extensions. ExpressVPN is based in the British Virgin Islands and has a zero-logs policy, making it an excellent choice for privacy-conscious online users.
This VPN is one of the safest around, as it features strong encryption with a kill switch, as well as DNS and IP leak protection. Additionally, ExpressVPN employs TrustedServer Technology. In short, this means that its VPN servers run exclusively on RAM, and there’s never any data written on hard drives.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
How to Choose a VPN for Europe?
All of the VPNs that we recommend in our guides and articles must meet stringent criteria before being included, and this page is no different in this sense. We evaluate each service through a lengthy list of parameters to ensure it’s worth your time and money.
With that in mind, if you want to do your own Euro VPN research or have trouble deciding between our top VPN picks, we want to share a handful of traits that could help you decide. Here’s how to choose the right VPN for Europe:
- Server Network – When focusing on the best VPNs for Europe, one of the most apparent aspects is the service’s server network. Of course, this includes the quality and quantity of its European servers, but also the service’s global server network.
- Connection Speeds – In addition to sheer server numbers, a top-quality VPN for Europe should also provide above-average connection speeds. Don’t settle for any VPN that can’t support 4K streaming or super-fast torrenting. In line with that, the speeds should also be consistent and without frequent connection drops.
- Security – As security is the number-one reason many people use VPN services, it’s always a big factor to look for. By this, we primarily consider aspects like strong encryption, a kill switch, VPN protocols, and protection features like DNS and IP leak protection.
- Apps and User Experience – Robust performance and huge server numbers don’t mean much if the VPN’s apps are broken or too complex to use. So, depending on what devices you primarily plan on using the European VPN service, make sure that the VPN of your choice delivers stable clients and a quality user experience.
- Customer Support – Often overlooked by many users, a VPNs customer support service is undoubtedly a crucial aspect to pay attention to. Preferably, you want a VPN with around-the-clock live chat support, or at least phone support, so that you can always count on help if you need it.
How to Setup a VPN With Europe Server Options?
Besides knowing how to pick the most suitable VPN service for yourself, you should also know how to set it up on the device you want to use it on. To help you out, we’ve created an easy-to-follow guide that will enable you to have your VPN up and running within a couple of minutes. So, here’s how to set up a Euro VPN service:
- Pick a VPN and download the app for your device (We recommend NordVPN)
- Install the app and log in
- Choose a server located in the European country of your choice
- Connect and wait for a few seconds
- Access the Internet through the VPN server and enjoy!
This simple step-by-step guide is all that you need to follow to connect to the European VPN server of your choice. What’s more, these steps are identical across all regions, no matter where you want to use the VPN. For example, if you live in Europe and want to access US-based servers, you would set up a VPN for the USA following the same setup steps.
The Best Free Europe VPNs
Generally speaking, we advise our readers to avoid using free VPN services. This is because free VPNs are often not worth the hassle and risk they come with. Most free VPNs have data bandwidth caps and offer sub-par services. Moreover, they typically lack any reliable security and privacy features.
That said, if you want to try out a free VPN Europe service, we recommend Atlas VPN. In our opinion, Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for Europe you can get. It’s safe and offers a very reliable free service, albeit a bit limited. In that sense, with the Atlas VPN free subscription plan, you can choose from only three servers. Moreover, only one of them is in Europe, more precisely in Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Additionally, there are a few more reasons why Atlas VPN is our top Euro VPN free pick. This includes unlimited simultaneous connections and no monthly bandwidth limitations. However, as you can only pick from one European server, it can get crowded at times. So, while signing up for free is a great way to test a VPN, we suggest upgrading to a premium plan to unlock more servers and additional features.
Europe VPN FAQs
Is a VPN legal in European countries?
Yes, using a VPN is perfectly legal in the vast majority of European countries. Of course, there are a few exceptions like Belarus and Russia, which don’t have a very favorable stance towards VPN use. Keep in mind, in European countries where VPN use is allowed. You shouldn’t use VPNs to mask any illegal activities.
How can I watch Netflix US while in Europe?
Here’s a quick and simple way how you can watch Netflix US while being in Europe:
- Download a VPN with US servers
- Open the app and log in
- Connect to a server with a US IP address
- Log in to your Netflix and enjoy the US library!
How do I get a European VPN?
Getting a European VPN service is as simple as picking one of our recommendations. You just need to pick a VPN service and download the appropriate app for your device. Once you install it following the installation steps, you’ll have a European VPN at your disposal and ready to use.
Which VPNs have European servers?
Each of the five VPN services we’ve shared with you in this VPN Europe guide offers a good selection of servers based in European countries. So, depending on your specific needs and preferences, you can pick any of our top recommendations and be sure you won’t go wrong with your choice.
What is the 14 Eyes Alliance and why does it matter to European VPN users?
The term 14 Eyes Alliance refers to the international surveillance organization. It is made up of 14 countries. This alliance matters to VPNs users because ten of these fourteen countries are European countries. These include the UK, Denmark, France, the Netherlands, Norway, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Spain, and Sweden.
The 14 Eyes Alliance matters for European VPN users because any of these countries can request online information from any other country from this list. So, if a VPN is based in any of the above countries, it can be asked to provide data details on you. But, as long as you sign up with a zero-logs VPN, there’s no risk.
Can I watch European sports competitions with a VPN for Europe?
Yes, one of the great strengths of a quality VPN for Europe is the ability to provide access to any sports event without any restriction. While otherwise some of these events would be only accessible within the game’s home country, with a VPN, you can avoid streaming blackouts and enjoy any sporting event you want.
If you want unrestricted access to any site or streaming service in Europe, you need a stable and powerful VPN you can rely on. In other words, the VPN you pick should offer fast speeds, solid unblocking power, and great security levels. That way, you can be certain you have maximum online freedom to stream, torrent, game, or simply explore different platforms across European countries.
Each of the five VPNs we’ve discussed in-depth above is capable of providing you with all of these things. Of course, if you want to find out more about any of the VPNs from this guide, we recommend reading our separate detailed reviews on the brands that interest you. Ultimately, we recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for Europe in 2023.