The 6 Best Crunchyroll VPNs in 2022
Crunchyroll is one of the best anime streaming platforms out there. But not all its content is available in all countries. In fact, the US library has the most titles. The good news is you can unblock any shows and movies you want on Crunchyroll with a VPN.
Of course, not all VPNs work with Crunchyroll. So we did tons of research and testing to find the best VPNs for Crunchyroll out there.
How to Pick a Good Crunchyroll VPN
Here are the metrics we used to find the best VPNs for Crunchyroll:
- Works with Crunchyroll – the VPN needs to be able to unblock Crunchyroll, ideally the US library since it has the most titles. Bonus points if it unblocks other regional libraries too.
- Unblocks other sites – you probably want to unblock other streaming sites. So we only recommend VPNs that provide access to sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu.
- Fast speeds – all the VPNs on this list provide fast streaming speeds. HD videos load very fast and we only experienced minor buffering on distant servers.
- Easy to use – the best Crunchyroll VPNs come with user-friendly apps for all platforms which are easy to install. They also have intuitive interfaces and make it simple to find and connect to servers.
- Good security and privacy – a great VPN should protect your data with bank-grade encryption, a no-logs policy, leak protection, and a kill switch.
- Great value – we only recommend VPNs that come with extra features like ad blockers and split-tunneling. They also have flexible plans and generous refund policies.
How to Watch Crunchyroll from Any Location
It’s really simple — just do this:
- Sign up for a VPN that works with Crunchyroll. We recommend NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN provider’s app.
- Run the app and connect to a VPN server. Make sure the server’s location matches the regional library you want to unblock.
- That’s it — you can now start binging all the animes you want!
The 6 Best VPNs for Crunchyroll Out There
We tested 30+ top VPNs on the market to see which ones offer the best streaming experience – here are our top 6 picks:
NordVPN is by far the best VPN for Crunchyroll out there — it always unblocked the Crunchyroll US library on the first try. What’s more, this VPN provided us with blazing-fast streaming speeds. In our tests, HD videos loaded instantly and never buffered when we skipped through them.
And this VPN provides excellent streaming support. It unblocks tons of other popular streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Disney+.
We also love how user-friendly NordVPN is. Its apps work on all major platforms and have intuitive interfaces. So it’s very easy to get used to the apps even if you never used a VPN before. Plus, all settings have helpful explanations, so you never feel lost using this VPN service.
What’s more, this VPN provides excellent security. NordVPN comes with bank-grade encryption, a kill switch, and full leak protection. Also, its no-logs policy has been audited twice. You also get RAM-only servers, meaning every reset wipes all data. And there are double VPN connections, obfuscation, and CyberSec, a very good ad blocker.
NordVPN allows 6 simultaneous connections, has cheap plans, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Thousands of lightning-fast servers
- Unblocks streaming services
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
If you have a large family, Surfshark is the best way to get Crunchyroll unblocked. This VPN allows unlimited simultaneous connections, meaning you can use it on as many devices as you want. You can even share the subscription with your friends and pool your money together to pay for it.
And this VPN easily bypasses Crunchyroll’s geo-blocks. It allowed our testers in Romania to unblock popular animes like Attack on Titan. It also provided them with lightning-fast speeds — HD videos loaded in 1-2 seconds and the videos never froze or stuttered.
And Surfshark is extremely simple to use. It works on all major platforms and its apps are extremely simple to navigate.
Another thing we like about this VPN is its excellent security. It uses strong encryption, has a no-logs policy, and comes with a kill switch. It also has double VPN connections, obfuscation, an ad blocker, and RAM-only servers.
Surfshark has some of the cheapest plans on the market and backs all purchases with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- Allows split-tunneling and has multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and strong security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
PrivateVPN is one of the most intuitive Crunchyroll VPNs on the market. Its apps work on most platforms, they’re very easy to install, and it’s really simple to find and connect to VPN servers. Plus, this VPN provider’s apps have a minimalistic design, so you never feel overwhelmed by too many features and settings.
PrivateVPN easily unblocks Crunchyroll US, and also libraries from other countries like Canada and the UK. We also like how it’s good at unblocking other sites like Netflix, BBC iPlayer, VRV, Pandora Radio, and Sony Crackle.
And this VPN service comes with very fast streaming speeds. We always had fast load times and didn’t experience any buffering — not even on distant servers.
We also like how secure PrivateVPN is. It comes with a no-logs policy, 256-bit AES encryption, and a kill switch. And it also has good leak protection and obfuscation.
This VPN comes with 10 simultaneous connections, affordable plans, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
CyberGhost VPN is very good at unblocking Crunchyroll thanks to its dedicated streaming server. Basically, that server refreshes its IP very often, so Crunchyroll can’t block it fast enough.
What’s more, this VPN comes with dedicated streaming servers in 10+ countries that unblock 50+ streaming services. You can easily unblock the likes of Amazon Prime, Netflix, Comedy Central, CBC, HBO Go, and HBO Max.
And you also get very fast speeds too. In our tests, HD videos always loaded in less than 5 seconds. We only experienced minor buffering at the start of the videos but had no problems while watching the rest of the content.
And this VPN is very user-friendly too. We actually love the Smart Rules features which let us customize how the VPN connections behave. For example, we were able to make CyberGhost VPN automatically connect to the dedicated Crunchyroll server when we opened the app.
You also get military-grade encryption, a no-logs policy, and an always-on kill switch. And there are also RAM-only servers and full leak protection.
CyberGhost VPN allows 7 simultaneous connections, has flexible plans, and backs its long-term plans with a 45-day refund. The shortest plan is backed by a 14-day money-back guarantee.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- WireGuard protocol available
- No Logs
- Offers Dedicated IP option
- Free browser extension
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No third-party audits
- Messy app’s interface
ExpressVPN provides the fastest streaming speeds out there. It’s thanks to its proprietary Lightway protocol that’s designed with security and blazing-fast speeds in mind. When we tested this VPN, HD videos loaded instantly and never buffered — not even on WiFi with an average signal!
And that’s not all — ExpressVPN can also unblock other popular streaming sites like BBC iPlayer, Disney+, and Netflix. It also works with smaller sites like VRV and Sony Crackle.
We also love how user-friendly this VPN is. It has intuitive apps with easy-to-navigate interfaces for all platforms. Also, there’s a Shortcuts feature that lets you create 1-click shortcuts for your favorite apps and sites. We created a shortcut for Crunchyroll which shows up on the screen after we connect to a server. That way, we can instantly get Crunchyroll unblocked!
ExpressVPN also provides excellent security. It has bank-grade encryption, an audited no-logs policy, and a kill switch. It also has full leak protection and RAM-only servers.
This VPN allows 5 simultaneous connections, has flexible plans, and comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
6. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) easily unblocks Crunchyroll US and other content libraries. It also works with other top streaming sites. And it’s the perfect choice if you want to enjoy top-notch privacy too. That’s because this VPN’s no-logs policy has been proven true in court many times. Also, it has open-source apps, meaning anyone can inspect the code to make sure it’s safe.
On top of that, PIA comes with a kill switch, full leak protection, and secure encryption. It also uses RAM-only servers to provide even more security.
Besides that, this VPN provider has very fast speeds. In our tests, we were able to load HD videos in 2-3 seconds and didn’t experience any random quality drops.
And PIA is extremely user-friendly too. It’s easy to install its apps and get used to their interface. Also, we love how all settings and features have short, helpful definitions.
PIA allows 10 simultaneous connections, has very cheap plans, and backs all plans with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Thousands of servers
- Great for torrenting and P2P
- Strong security and encryption
- Block ads, trackers, and malware
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Anonymous payment methods
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in the US
- Not all streaming services can be unblocked
Will a VPN Unblock the Crunchyroll App?
A good VPN will unblock almost all Crunchyroll libraries — including the US library. However, we can’t guarantee that a VPN can unblock the Crunchyroll mobile app. If it uses GPS data to determine your location on top of your IP, you won’t be able to hide it using most VPNs.
If you want to bypass GPS data detection, you could use Surfshark. Its Android app has a GPS override feature that will match your GPS location to your VPN’s server location. But to use this feature, you will need to perform a manual setup, which might be inconvenient. Instead, we recommend just using Crunchyroll’s site instead of its app — it’s much easier to unblock it.
Crunchyroll VPN FAQs
Here are the most common questions people ask about Crunchyroll and using Crunchyroll VPNs. If you have more questions, just drop us a line in the comments.
Is Crunchyroll Safe?
Yes, Crunchyroll is a safe site to use. It uses HTTPS encryption to secure all your data. That said, we still recommend creating a secure password that you only use for this site — so don’t use the same password you use for your bank account.
Also, if you’re worried about malicious ads or fake Crunchyroll sites, just get a VPN with an ad blocker like NordVPN. The ad blocker will automatically get rid of ads and block connections to malicious sites.
How Much Data Does Crunchyroll Use?
It depends on the video quality you use. Crunchyroll doesn’t make its data usage public, but most users agree that 1 episode in 1080p quality eats up around 1-2 GB of data. And 1 episode in 720p quality consumes around 500-600 MB of data.
But the overall data consumption varies from anime to anime because some shows have better visuals. Also, the audio quality affects data usage too. If you need to find out how much data a specific title consumes, contact Crunchyroll or ask people on Crunchyroll’s forum or on Reddit.
Can You Get Banned From Crunchyroll for Using a VPN?
According to many Crunchyroll users, there is a chance you might get banned for using a VPN. However, Crunchyroll will just block the VPN’s IP address. We only saw a few people having their accounts banned for using VPNs.
Crunchyroll’s terms of service do mention that users can’t:
“Forge any TCP/IP packet header or any part of the header information or alter source-identifying information when using the Site or Services or in any way use the Site or Services to send altered, deceptive or false source-identifying information, and we reserve the right to block IP addresses or networks deemed to abuse access to the Site or Services.”
And that’s essentially what a VPN does — it hides your IP address, basically “forging TCP/IP packet headers.” But, as the terms of service mention, Crunchyroll will only block the IP address, not ban the account. So there’s a chance the VPN users that had their accounts banned engaged in other behavior that violates the terms of service.
What Is the Best Anime on Crunchyroll?
We can’t give an exact answer since everyone has different tastes. Still, here are some of the top trending animes on Crunchyroll:
- My Hero Academia
- Demon Slayer
- Hunter x Hunter
- Tokyo Revengers
- One Piece
- Black Clover
- Jujutsu Kaisen
- One-Punch Man
- Attack on TItan
My Crunchyroll VPN Is Not Working – Why?
If you’re having trouble unblocking Crunchyroll with a good VPN, here’s what you can do:
- Disconnect from the VPN server or connect to a different server. That way, you get a new IP — one that Crunchyroll didn’t block.
- Use a different browser to access Crunchyroll, and use incognito/private mode. That way, tracking cookies can’t give away your real location.
- Use Crunchyroll’s site instead of its mobile apps since GPS data can reveal your real location.
- If possible, use a dedicated IP address. You’re the only one using it, so Crunchyroll is less likely to detect that the IP belongs to the VPN. NordVPN offers dedicated IPs for an additional cost.
Can You Use a Free Crunchyroll VPN?
There are free VPNs out there, but most of them can’t get Crunchyroll unblocked. That’s because they don’t refresh their IPs very often so the site blocks them. On top of that, most free VPNs have slow speeds, log and seel your traffic, and have buggy apps.
Also, free VPNs usually limit how much data you can use — usually to around 500 MB or 2 GB per month. That’s barely enough to watch a few episodes of your favorite anime!
It’s simply better to use a paid VPN instead. We recommend NordVPN because it has very cheap prices and backs all purchases with a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
Is Crunchyroll Free?
Yes, Crunchyroll has an okay free plan, but it’s not that great. You’ll see many ads in the middle of an episode. Also, you won’t be able to watch the latest episode of an anime — it only becomes available when a new episode is released.
Instead, it’s better to get one of Crunchyroll’s 3 tier-based subscriptions. The cheapest one is enough if you only want to binge animes on just 1 device. But if you want to watch anime on more devices, get the second plan.
Many VPNs can’t unblock Crunchyroll, but we picked the ones that we personally tested and can confirm that they work with this site. If you know other good ways to unblock Crunchyroll, please mention them in the comments.