5 Best VPNs for World of Warcraft in 2023 (Lag-Free, Play From Anywhere)
World of Warcraft Key Points
- You can use a VPN to avoid bandwidth throttling, unblock WoW in restricted regions, and even lower your lag and ping.
- Using a VPN for World of Warcraft is not a bannable offense, according to Blizzard’s ToS.
- Avoid using free VPNs. They have slower speeds and subpar features compared to their premium counterparts.
Our testing has shown that NordVPN is the best VPN for World of Warcraft.
When Blizzard released World of Warcraft in 2004, it couldn’t have expected that it would remain such a hit for almost twenty years. Marked as one of the greatest video games of all time, WoW is still played and enjoyed by millions of players worldwide.
But, like with many other online games, sometimes you can run into problems when playing WoW. Unstable network speeds, crashing servers, and security threats are some of the most common issues WoW players face. Furthermore, players from certain regions are locked out of the game entirely.
If you have any connection or privacy issues when playing World of Warcraft, a WoW VPN is the best solution. I’ve done the research and drafted the complete WoW VPN guide to help you learn the benefits of using a VPN for WoW and pick the best service for your needs.
Test Your VPN Knowledge – Take A Quiz!
Best VPNs for World of Warcraft – Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – Best VPN for WoW with fast speeds.
- Surfshark – An affordable, fast, and high-performing VPN.
- AtlasVPN – A great budget choice.
- PrivateVPN – Simple and streamlined WoW VPN.
- ExpressVPN – Most robust and secure VPN service.
Why Use a VPN for World of Warcraft
Players enjoyed World of Warcraft long before mainstream VPN use was ever a thing. So, you might wonder, why should you use a Virtual Private Network when playing this game? Here are the biggest reasons why you should use a VPN for World of Warcraft:
- Improving Network Performance — A fast and reliable VPN service can help you maintain a more stable network connection. It can stabilize your network, lower your ping, and even increase your network speed in some situations. If your ISP is throttling your connection, a VPN for World of Warcraft can help you unlock the full potential of your Internet connection.
- Unblocking WoW — People in some countries and regions across the globe are blocked from accessing WoW servers. If you live in such a country, a VPN can help you make it look like you’re connecting from a country with access to WoW. Plus, even if your country isn’t blocked by WoW, you can use a VPN to access any region you feel like playing in.
- Increasing Online Security – Even if you live in a well-covered WoW server region and have a super-fast network, there are still reasons to use a VPN. It can help secure your network from DDoS attempts and hacker attacks. Additionally, some VPNs have features like DNS and IP leak protection and network kill switch protection. These features ensure none of your data leaks out for prying eyes to see.
World Of Warcraft VPN Comparison
|Ranking for Gaming||5/5||4.8/5||4.6/5||4.6/5||4.8/5|
|Avg. Speed||46,4 Mbps||40,1 Mbps||35,9 Mbps||43,6 Mbps||42,2 Mbps|
|Logs||No-logs||No identifiable logs||No identifiable logs||No logs||No identifiable logs|
|Suitable for Games||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|P2P Traffic||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Best Deals||63% OFF + Gift||Save 81%||83% OFF||Save 85%||3 months FREE|
Top 5 Best WoW VPNs – Our Detailed List
NordVPN for World of Warcraft offers you all the features you need for secure and unrestricted gaming. It is the most impressive VPN for WoW in most of the compared features.
With a large server network of over 5,500 servers worldwide, it’s by far the leading VPN on my list in this metric. Thanks to its server lineup, you can easily access and unblock World of Warcraft from anywhere.
More importantly, NordVPN is also the fastest VPN for World of Warcraft. I tried playing WoW on its UK, US, and Singapore servers. It was the fastest service on the first two servers and the second fastest on the Singapore server, only behind PrivateVPN.
On average, the speed dropdown when using NordVPN is around 5% to 10%. Very few VPNs can come to this number consistently. NordVPN’s in-house NordLynx protocol and high-quality server make this VPN the best choice for improving your network performance and reducing ping.
Another NordVPN’s strength is the fact that it offers dedicated IP addresses. If you want to enjoy WoW without sharing an IP address with other NordVPN users, you can purchase a dedicated IP in one of the ten supported locations.
In terms of gaming security, you can count on a heavy feature lineup that guarantees maximum protection. This includes features like DDoS protection, DNS leak protection, and an automatic kill switch.
While NordVPN is a superior VPN for WoW, it has a few drawbacks compared to my other picks. Namely, it has the most expensive monthly plan out of all my selections.
Furthermore, it also supports only six connections. In other words, it doesn’t offer the same value for money as Surfshark or Atlas VPN, both of which offer unlimited simultaneous connections and have cheaper plans.
NordVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||46,4 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,3 Mbps|
|Best deal||63% OFF + Gift|
- Fastest VPN for World of Warcraft
- WoW Provider with the biggest network
- Offers the option of purchasing a dedicated IP address
- Protection from DDoS attacks, military-grade encryption, and kill switch
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only six simultaneous connections
- Doesn’t offer port forwarding
Surfshark is a close second place on my list because NordVPN is slightly better in several key aspects. More specifically, Surfshark is around 5% to 10% slower than NordVPN. It also offers 3,200 servers, which is over 2,000 servers less than what you can get with NordVPN.
It also has a slightly higher ping on most servers than NordVPN. While none of these aspects makes a difference for most users, those who want the best VPN connection possible will take note of these discrepancies.
Nevertheless, Surfshark’s apps come with many handy features. Some of the most notable ones include NoBorders Mode, MultiHop, and Camouflage Mode. The latter is particularly convenient for playing WoW in heavily censored countries. All of Surfshark’s servers also include private DNS.
Plus, its Windows and Mac apps are superb and offer a lot of insightful information. They are very customizable and provide an on-hand approach. Surfshark doesn’t have a proprietary protocol like NordVPN, but you can still count on the fantastic WireGuard protocol.
That said, Surfshark does have a few advantages over my top pick. The most significant one is the fact that it supports unlimited simultaneous connections. Additionally, it’s also slightly cheaper than NordVPN across all subscription plans.
Surfshark Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||40,1 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||39,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,8 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 81%|
- One of the fastest VPNs for WoW in the industry
- Supports unlimited simultaneous connections
- A more affordable WoW service than NordVPN
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- A fast and light WireGuard protocol
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slightly slower than NordVPN
- Doesn’t support port forwarding
3. Atlas VPN
Atlas VPN is fast and full-featured, making it the perfect choice for users who need it for online gaming. It will protect you against DDoS attacks and keep your connections free of data leaks with DNS/IP leak protection, and a kill switch.
This VPN offers 750+ servers worldwide. And, while it doesn’t have any dedicated gaming servers, all of its servers are optimized for reducing ping and lag. Atlas VPN offers fast speeds compared to most other VPNs.
Unfortunately, in the context of this page, it is the slowest VPN on my list. On all of the servers I tested, Atlas VPN was around 20% slower than the fastest service in the given category.
I’m not saying this to disparage its overall speeds, as this VPN is still one of my top picks. However, if you’re going for speed and stability first, any of my other selections are a better choice than Atlas VPN.
Back to the positive aspects of Atlas VPN, another great perk you can get with this provider is the option to have unlimited simultaneous connections. Besides Surfshark, it’s the only service on my list to have such an offer.
Moreover, Atlas VPN has a more affordable monthly plan than Surfshark. So, if you want the most budget-friendly VPN for World of Warcraft, it’s hard to pass up on this service.
AtlasVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||35,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||34,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||29,9 Mbps|
|Best deal||83% OFF|
- Above-average gaming speeds
- Affordable monthly subscription plans
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol and DNS leak protection
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slowest VPN for WoW on my list
- Not so many servers compared to some of my other picks
PrivateVPN is the best option on the market for players looking for an easy-to-use and simple VPN for World of Warcraft. This is because it offers all of the basic features you need in a VPN for WoW and offers very intuitive VPN client apps for both Windows and Mac.
With a network of over 200 server locations in 63 countries worldwide, it’s certainly not a service with the biggest global server network. But, my tests have shown that its speeds are among the best.
This was especially the case with remote servers, as PrivateVPN was the best-performing WoW VPN on remote server locations. It’s about 5% faster than NordVPN in this regard.
Moreover, its ping and lag across the entire network weren’t too shabby. To add to this, PrivateVPN has an uptime of 99.98%. Of course, as all of my other selections, PrivateVPN offers unlimited bandwidth.
From a security standpoint, the VPN comes with a respectable set of advanced features. These include an automatic kill switch, Stealth VPN feature, DNS leak protection, and IPv6 leak protection.
You can have up to ten simultaneous connections. This gives you more freedom than you can get with NordVPN and ExpressVPN, but still not on the level of Surfshark or Atlas VPN.
PrivateVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||43,6 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45.9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||40,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 85%|
- Fast speeds, especially on remote servers
- The most stable VPN on my lits (99.98% uptime)
- Free Static servers
- Ten simultaneous connections
- Includes a port forwarding feature
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- VPN with the smallest server network on my list
- Lacks advanced features
ExpressVPN is certainly one of the most robust and versatile VPNs in the world. It offers a global server network of high-performing servers, over 3,000 of them, to be precise.
Its Windows and Mac applications are great for World of Warcraft. They are filled with great gaming features but are still easy to navigate through. You can count on DNS leak protection, DDoS protection, and a kill switch.
In terms of overall connection speed, ExpressVPN ranks among the best services around. Although it doesn’t have dedicated servers for gaming, ExpressVPN offers consistent speeds and a speed dropdown of only 10% to 15% compared to your regular network speed.
With all of this said, there are a few objective negatives about ExpressVPN that I have to mention. If you want to play World of Warcraft with a large party of friends, it might not be a suitable pick. It only supports five simultaneous connections, fewer than any other pick on my list.
Additionally, ExpressVPN is the most expensive VPN client out of my five selections. While it is an excellent VPN for World of Warcraft overall, it’s not for those looking for optimal value for their subscription money.
ExpressVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||42,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||40,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||38,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||+3 months FREE|
- Above-average connection speed for World of Warcraft
- Diverse global server network
- Premium security features
- Excellent Mac and Windows PC apps
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Most expensive WoW VPN on my list
- Only offers five simultaneous connections per plan
How We Selected and Tested The Best WoW VPN Services
Not every VPN service is worth your attention. What’s more, even fewer VPNs can deliver a top-quality World of Warcraft gameplay experience. To make sure I recommend you the best VPN services for World of Warcraft, I used the following criteria when picking my selections:
- Server Network — VPN providers with a large and geographically diverse server network have an edge over those that don’t. A large server network ensures you have multiple server options, low latency, and stable connections to enhance your gaming experience. Ideally, the VPN will also have dedicated gaming servers.
- Speed and Performance — When it comes to World of Warcraft and gaming in general, it’s crucial that the VPN offers high-speed connections with minimal impact on your Internet speed. Low latency and fast response times can make a significant difference.
- Security Features — It’s also important that the VPN has solid security to protect your gaming sessions from DDoS attacks, hacking, or other online threats. This includes robust encryption protocols, such as OpenVPN or WireGuard, a kill switch, and other security tools.
- User-Friendly Interface and App Compatibility — World of Warcraft is only available for two platforms, Windows and Mac. With that in mind, the VPN should have a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate and offers quick access to servers and settings. Easy-to-use apps allow you to focus on gaming rather than complex configurations.
- Additional Factors — Besides the key factors above, there are a few extra aspects that can set apart a service from its competitors. This includes a responsive customer support team, fair pricing, compatibility with consoles and devices for other games, and so on.
Can I Be Banned From World of Warcraft For Using a VPN?
According to official information, Blizzard Entertainment doesn’t ban Warcraft players who use Virtual Private Networks to play Warcraft online. With that in mind, if you use a VPN to obtain the fastest connection speeds possible, lower lag, and enhance your online protection, you don’t have to worry about any bans.
However, I would advise you not to switch between servers too often. If you play on US servers one day and on Japanese or European servers the next day, Blizzard might flag your behavior as suspicious.
They might think that you’re botting or account sharing. These activities are bannable offenses, and you might get banned, even if you were just using your VPN to play and nothing more.
So, to avoid getting banned, pick a nearby VPN server for the best performance and play World of Warcraft consistently on it. You can switch to remote servers to access a WoW server a couple of times per month but don’t do it regularly. Ideally, you can get a dedicated IP if the Virtual Private Network of your choice offers this option.
How to Use a VPN With World of Warcraft
Using a VPN app to play World of Warcraft is very simple if you have a reliable VPN service. The entire setup process won’t take you more than a couple of minutes. Here’s how to play WoW with a VPN:
- Pick one of the top five WoW VPNs from this list (I recommend NordVPN as the best WoW VPN).
- Download the Windows or macOS app.
- Launch the VPN app and log in.
- Connect to a VPN server of your choice. (Pick a nearby server for the best connection speeds)
- Play WoW and enjoy!
VPN Not Working With WoW – Here Are Some Quick Fixes
So, you’ve picked the best VPN for WoW and followed the installation steps from above, but you still can’t play the game with a VPN. Don’t worry, I have a few quick fixes that can help you resolve the issue in no time. Here’s what you can focus on:
- Server Selection — The first thing to try is to pick a different VPN server. Ideally, connect to a VPN server that is geographically close to the WoW server you’re trying to access. This can help minimize latency and improve performance.
- Protocol Selection — Try switching between different VPN protocols. If the service supports multiple protocols, such as OpenVPN, IKEv2, or WireGuard, test each one to see which one works best for you.
- Firewall and Antivirus — Temporarily disable your firewall or antivirus software, as they might be interfering with the VPN connection. Remember to re-enable them once you’re done playing World of Warcraft.
- VPN Settings — Check your VPN settings for any specific configurations related to gaming or bypassing certain restrictions. Look for options like split tunneling or gaming mode.
- Update and Restart — Make sure that you have the latest VPN software. Try restarting both your computer and VPN app to ensure a fresh connection.
How to Pick the Best VPN Server For WoW
To ensure you’ve picked the best server for World of Warcraft, keep in mind the following tips:
- Server Location — Choose a VPN server located as close as possible to the WoW game servers you want to connect to. This helps minimize latency (ping) and ensures faster response times during gameplay.
- Server Performance — If your VPN provider offers server performance data, make sure to read this info to learn more about the server’s stability and reliability. Knowing this, you will be able to select servers that consistently deliver good performance and low latency.
- Server Load — Consider the server load or congestion. VPN servers with high user traffic may result in slower speeds and increased latency. Look for servers that are not overcrowded or experiencing heavy usage.
- Server Specialization — Some VPN providers offer specialized gaming servers optimized for low latency and optimal gaming performance. These servers are designed to prioritize gaming traffic, resulting in a better gaming experience.
Often, picking the best server for World of Warcraft is a trial-and-error process. You might have to try several different VPN servers and monitor their performance during World of Warcraft gameplay.
What Is the Best Free VPN for WoW?
Atlas VPN is the best free VPN service currently available on the market. Its free VPN plan offers you 5 GB of monthly data and three free servers, two in the US and one in Europe. This is great for playing World of Warcraft and other online games.
Unlike other free VPNs, Atlas VPN is a premium provider with fast connection speeds and great security features. It has easy-to-use apps and uses quality servers and encryption, something most free VPNs can’t boast with.
That said, if you play this online game regularly, the 5 GB limit will not last you the entire month. Luckily, you can easily upgrade to Atlas VPN’s premium plans and unlock the rest of its server locations and get rid of the monthly bandwidth limits.
Other than Atlas VPN, I don’t recommend using any other free VPN. Free VPNs are generally unsafe and have too many faults.
I’ve personally used Atlas VPN’s free VPN plan, and I can say that, while limiting, it is a great way for beginner VPN users to see how such a service works before going for a premium VPN subscription.
WoW VPN Related reads:
WoW VPN FAQs
Are VPNs allowed on World of Warcraft?
Blizzard neither encourages nor prohibits VPN usage in World of Warcraft. Many players use Virtual Private Networks when playing this game. So, as long as you stay within the lines of the Terms of Service, you can use a VPN for World of Warcraft.
Does a VPN work with World of Warcraft?
Yes, a VPN can work with World of Warcraft and can provide certain benefits to players. You can use a WoW VPN to access region-specific and restricted servers, improve your connection speeds, and stay safe from DDoS attacks while gaming.
Can Blizzard detect VPN services?
Yes, Blizzard can detect VPN traffic. They can do so using fairly simple and rudimentary methods. They analyze your IP address and traffic, as well as your behavior, to pick up on any suspicious behavior.
Does World of Warcraft IP ban players?
Yes, you can get an IP ban in World of Warcraft. However, these restrictions seldom happen. Much more often, the game will ban your entire account. In this case, there isn’t anything a VPN can do to help you avoid the ban.
Can VPN improve WoW ping?
Yes, if you use a premium VPN for World of Warcraft, you can lower your ping and lag. A VPN server will route your connection more efficiently, effectively lowering your ping and even improving your connection speeds.
The Best WoW VPNs – Summing It Up
World of Warcraft is undoubtedly an iconic game, one that has marked an entire generation of online gamers. It’s endlessly entertaining, fun, and very social.
It’s a shame not to give yourself the best opportunity to play this game without any restrictions and security concerns. And, with the information I’ve provided you in this VPN for World of Warcraft guide, you can make sure you pick the most suitable service for yourself.
Each of the VPNs I’ve reviewed and discussed on this page can aid you in this undertaking. Still, if you’re having trouble deciding which service is best for you, I recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for World of Warcraft.
Cybersecurity and VPN researcher