6 Best VPNs for FFXIV (Final Fantasy) in 2023 (No-Lag)
Final Fantasy VPN Key Points
- Unlike many other online games, Final Fantasy XIV doesn’t restrict you in any way for using a VPN service to access its gaming servers.
- Using a VPN for FFXIV provides many performance and security benefits and helps you avoid overcrowded FFXIV gaming servers.
- The best VPNs for FFXIV must meet specific criteria, something which free VPN services and most premium VPNs don’t do.
Our Testing has shown that NordVPN is the best VPN for Final Fantasy.
Published in 2013, FFXIV (Final Fantasy) is still a massively popular online game, and the most profitable volume of the game to date. It is endlessly entertaining and features unlimited content. Gamers can spend endless hours exploring and playing without running out of things to do.
However, this ultimate entertainment experience doesn’t come issue-free. Players often experience lag and high ping, which can significantly affect their online gaming sessions. To top this off, most players know that the gaming community is no stranger to hacker attacks and DDoSing.
Fortunately, you can conveniently bypass and avoid all of these problems by using a VPN for gaming. On this page, I’ll guide you through everything you should know when playing FFXIV with a VPN. I’ll also share the top picks for the best FFXIV VPNs currently in the market.
Test Your VPN Knowledge – Take A Quiz!
Best VPNs for Final Fantasy – Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Final Fantasy 14.
- Surfshark – Light, super-fast, and highly intuitive service.
- AtlasVPN – A great budget VPN for FFXIV.
- PrivateVPN – A simple, efficient, and affordable VPN.
- ExpressVPN – Robust and advanced Final Fantasy VPN.
- Private Internet Access – FFXIV VPN with the biggest server network.
Why Do You Need a VPN for FFXIV?
Many gamers have realized that the myth that “VPNs slow down network performance” doesn’t have to be true. In fact, a VPN can help enhance your experience in several major aspects. Here are some of the most significant reasons why you should use a VPN for FFXIV:
- Unrestricted Access To All FFXIV Servers – With a VPN, you can freely access any global FFXIV server from anywhere in the world. This allows you to go around geo-blocks, censorship, or any other restrictions a local administrator or your Internet provider can impose on you. Lastly, you can also bypass IP bans, which isn’t specifically valuable for FFXIV but can be very useful for many other online games.
- Better Network Performance – VPNs can help better your network performance when playing FFXIV. You can use a fast VPN service to obtain more stable network speeds and minimize lag or ping. This makes for a smoother and more enjoyable gaming experience.
- More Secure Gaming – Sometimes, online players resort to underhanded tactics to get an unfair advantage. A VPN can help protect you against such gamers by keeping your network private and encrypted. In return, this will keep you safe from any malicious attempts, doxing, and DDoSing.
FFXIV is available on Microsoft Windows, macOS, and the last three PlayStation console generations. Considering this, you should also pick a VPN service with high-quality apps for the device you wish to play on. To learn more specific details on this, I encourage you to read our detailed reviews of the VPN services that interest you.
Final Fantasy VPN Comaprison
|Ranking for Gaming||5/5||4.8/5||4.6/5||4.6/5||4.8/5|
|Avg. Speed||46,4 Mbps||40,1 Mbps||35,9 Mbps||43,6 Mbps||42,2 Mbps|
|Logs||No-logs||No identifiable logs||No identifiable logs||No logs||No identifiable logs|
|Suitable for Games||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|P2P Traffic||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Best Deals||63% OFF + Gift||Save 81%||83% OFF||Save 85%||3 months FREE|
6 Best VPNs for FFXIV (Final Fantasy) in 2023
NordVPN proved once again why it’s the best VPN for gaming. After playing FFXIV for hours on several NordVPN servers, my experience was marked by impressive connection speeds, great network stability, and zero connection issues. In total, this provider offers more than 5,500 servers worldwide.
Needless to say, NordVPN outdid most of my picks in speed tests in almost every single parameter. It was the fastest VPN on US and Europe servers, delivering consistent speeds 5% to 10% faster than its competition. It was also among the fastest VPNs on SEA servers, second only behind PrivateVPN.
Security-wise, NordVPN is up there with the best of them. The service offers both DDoS and DNS leak protection. You can also rely on a solid kill switch and a split tunneling feature.
There are several protocol choices, with the best one being the provider’s in-house NordLynx protocol. You can set up NordVPN on any platform you want, use browser extensions for convenient browsing, and conveniently set it up for your console.
While NordVPN firmly ranks as the best VPN for FFXIV, it is not the superior VPN in every regard. Some users might find its “six connections per plan” deal limiting, especially to what providers like Surfshark, Atlas VPN, and PIA offer.
In addition to this, NordVPN is a bit more expensive than some of my other picks. If you’re looking for the most bang for your buck, Surfshark and Atlas VPN are perhaps the best alternatives to my top pick.
NordVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||46,4 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,3 Mbps|
|Best deal||63% OFF + Gift|
- The fastest VPN for FFXIV on my list
- The best-designed VPN apps
- Offers dedicated IP addresses
- Browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, and Edge
- Premium security features, including protection from DDoS attacks
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- More expensive than my second-best FF14 VPN
- Supports only six simultaneous connections
Surfshark is an excellent Final Fantasy XIV VPN overall. It offers apps for every platform Final Fantasy XIV is available on. It also arms you with quality protocols like WireGuard and the OpenVPN protocol. Every server is also secured with DNS leak protection.
I didn’t expect Surfshark to beat NordVPN in the speed tests. And, while there were no surprises in this regard, Surfshark did perform exceptionally well. I’ve found it to be the second-fastest VPN on my list. Moreover, it had no issues maintaining a reliable connection for several hours of playing FFXIV.
Still, compared to my top pick, Surfshark does lack in some aspects. It has a network of 3,200 servers. This is good and enough for accessing all FFXIV game servers, but still significantly less than what NordVPN has to offer.
On the other hand, Surfshark has the upper hand over my top pick in several considerable aspects. The most significant one is the option to connect an unlimited number of devices. Also, each of its plans is more affordable than anything NordVPN offers. And its two-year plan is one of the most budget-friendly ones you can get on the VPN market.
Surfshark Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||40,1 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||39,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,8 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 81%|
- A more affordable VPN for FFXIV than my top pick
- Very fast speeds on most of its servers
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Easily unblocks the game’s servers
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not the best pick if you want to play FFXIV on remote servers
- Split tunneling only available on Windows and Android
AtlasVPN is one of the fastest VPNs for gaming and Final Fantasy XIV. While this VPN for FFXIV is a budget-friendly option, it delivers a high-speed Internet connection, advanced leak protection, split tunneling, and many other features.
While this VPN is fast, my objective results have shown that Atlas VPN is the slowest out of my six selections. In every category I tested my top six VPN providers, Atlas VPN was at least a couple of percent slower than the next slowest server.
Moreover, it was around 20% slower than the best performer in every category. This isn’t to say that it didn’t deliver solid gaming speeds. However, if you want nothing but the fastest, I recommend going with one of my other picks.
Looking at other aspects besides playing FFXIV and other online games, you can use Atlas VPN to enjoy any and all streaming platforms that would otherwise block access to their services in your location. It offers specialized servers for streaming in all corners of the world.
Besides being the only VPN on my list with a truly free plan, Atlas VPN is also one of the cheapest VPNs you can get. Moreover, it offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can enjoy all the benefits and reasonable prices at no risk.
AtlasVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||35,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||34,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||29,9 Mbps|
|Best deal||83% OFF|
- Very affordable VPN
- Above-average speeds
- Unlimited connections and unlimited bandwidth
- DNS leak protection and strong security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The slowest VPN for FFXIV on my list
- Fairly small server network
PrivateVPN is a sleeper pick on this list and a deserved fourth pick on my best FFXIV VPNs. While this VPN won’t wow anyone with its features like NordVPN or Surfshark, it is a well-rounded FFXIV service with solid features. It protects your network with a kill switch and military-grade encryption and includes both DNS and IPv6 leak protection.
The simple and easy-to-use nature of this VPN shouldn’t fool you. PrivateVPN keeps up with my other selections on all servers. Not only that, but it was the best performer of SEA servers, besting even NordVPN by around 5% to 8% on average.
But, perhaps its strongest side is the fantastic 99.98% uptime. This number puts PrivateVPN at the very top in terms of stability. Moreover, it makes it the best VPN for players who want to play for hours on end without worrying about any sudden connection drops and use port forwarding.
Now, to look at the other side of the coin, there are some disadvantages. Mainly, PrivateVPN has the smallest server network out of all my picks, with only 200 server locations. This number shouldn’t be an issue for most players but is still significantly lower than what my other picks deliver. Additionally, it doesn’t offer split tunneling support like my other picks.
PrivateVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||43,6 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45.9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||40,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 85%|
- Great speeds on remote servers
- Easy-to-use clients available on all FFXIV-supported platforms
- The most reliable VPN on my list (99.98% uptime)
- Offers static IP servers
- Ten simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- VPN with the smaller server selection on my list
- No split tunneling support
If you’re looking for top-class speeds for lag-free gaming, ExpressVPN is undoubtedly a great choice. It offers super-fast connection speed and is capable of constantly providing low ping levels. ExpressVPN has over 3,000 servers in 160 locations across 94 countries, all operating on RAM. All of its servers support the in-house Lightway protocol.
Speed-wise, ExpressVPN ranks very high, right with the best of them. It wasn’t the best-performing VPN in any metric. But, it offered lighting-fast speeds, low ping, and minimal to no lag when I was playing FFXIV.
ExpressVPN is also one of the most sophisticated VPNs in the industry. It comes with many robust security features. The most notable ones include DDoS protection, DNS leak protection, and TrustedServer technology.
ExpressVPN is undoubtedly a fantastic service. But, its two main flaws keep it from climbing higher. Specifically, ExpressVPN provides only five connections per plan, the fewest of any of my picks. At the same time, it’s also the most expensive service on my list. Still, regarding the latter disadvantage, there is a 30-day money-back guarantee, so you can try ExpressVPN risk-free.
ExpressVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||42,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||40,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||38,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||+3 months FREE|
- Very fast speeds with little to no lag in FFXIV
- Quality and well-spread-out server network
- TrustedServer technology with a strict no-logs policy
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Most expensive VPN on my list
- Only five simultaneous connections
6. Private Internet Access
Lastly, Private Internet Access is a tried and tested service that has been around for almost a decade and a half. It’s an advanced and very sophisticated VPN loaded with features. It uses strong encryption to keep your VPN traffic safe. It protects your gaming device with a kill switch and shields you against DDoS attacks.
One standout factor PIA has compared to other VPNs is it’s incredibly large server network. PIA’s network includes tens of thousands of servers. This huge server network ensures you can play Final Fantasy XIV from anywhere. While it doesn’t offer specialized gaming servers, its 10 Gbps connections are sufficient for providing fast speeds and average ping, at the minimum.
That said, PIA is far from the fastest or best VPN in this regard, as it is the second-slowest Final Fantasy XIV VPN on my list. It’s about 10% slower than my top pick NordVPN and is only faster than Atlas VPN when it comes to my other selections.
Moreover, I’ve found that it can sometimes have pretty unstable connections. So, if you want the most reliable VPN money can get, it’s best to go with a simple service with excellent uptime, such as PrivateVPN.
Private Internet Access Speed Test Results for Gaming
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||49,5 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||40.5 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||39,4 Mbps|
|Best deal||83% OFF + 3 Months Free|
- VPN for FFXIV with the biggest server network on my list
- Reputable VPN service with a long history
- Automatic kill switch and a split tunneling feature
- Supports unlimited device connections
- Very customizable desktop apps
- The second-slowest FFXIV service on my list
- Speeds aren’t as stable as with most of my picks
Testing Methodology: How We Selected and Tested The Best FFXIV VPNs
I’ve meticulously tested the best VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV before filtering my top six picks. Each of these top six FFXIV VPNs meets specific criteria essential for making the gaming experience enjoyable and issue-free. Here are the most important points I looked for in the top VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV:
- Speed and Performance – A VPN should offer high-speed connections and reliable performance. It should not cause significant latency, increase your ping, or experience slowdowns that can impact your gaming session.
- Server Network – The best VPN for FFXIV should have a large and diverse network of servers in multiple locations, including servers close to the FFXIV servers. This will help ensure low latency and high speeds, which are crucial for online gaming.
- Security and Privacy – Every VPN provider on this list has strong encryption and other security features. This includes features such as a kill switch and a zero logs policy, which protect your personal information and data while gaming.
- Device Compatibility – Final Fantasy XIV is available on PC, Mac, and the last three PlayStation Generations. The six picks from above are compatible with all of these devices.
- Additional Aspects – When evaluating and ranking the top VPNs for Final Fantasy XIV I also consider aspects like price, customer support, number of connections, and others. These aren’t as important as the previous factors, but can still heavily impact your overall user experience.
How to Use a VPN to Improve Your Final Fantasy XIV Gameplay
Setting up an FFXIV service on your Windows or Mac device is very straightforward, as it only comes down to installing the app and picking the right servers. Here’s how to use a VPN to enhance your FFXIV gameplay experience on computers:
- Sign up with one of the best VPNs for XIV listed above (I recommend NordVPN as the best VPN for FFXIV overall).
- Launch the app and connect to one of your preferred VPN servers.
- Check your connection to make sure your speed and ping are good.
- Launch FFXIV and start playing!
How to Set Up an FFXIV Virtual Private Network on Consoles
As you probably know, you can’t install a VPN app on a gaming console as you can on a Windows or Mac device. Instead of this, you have two options for setting up the VPN service on your PlayStation. This is to connect your PlayStation through your PC or set up the VPN on your router. I’ll show you how to do both of these things.
How to Use an FFXIV VPN On Your PlayStation Through Your PC
A fairly simple way of using an FFXIV VPN on PS is to use your PC as the middleman. To do so, you’ll have to share your PC’s connection, preferably through an Ethernet cable. Here’s how to do it:
- Download the VPN app for your computer.
- Connect your PlayStation console to your PC using an Ethernet cable.
- Go to your “Control Panel”, then “Network and Internet”, then “Network and Sharing Center”.
- Select the “Change Adapter Settings” option on the left side.
- In the pop-up window, right-click on your VPN, then select “Properties”.
- Go to the “Sharing” tab and tick the first box, then click OK to confirm your changes.
How to Use an FFXIV VPN On Your PlayStation Through Your Router
Setting up a VPN for FFXIV on your router is more complex than the previous setup, but is nothing that you can’t manage if you follow the proper steps. With that in mind, if you pick a VPN with router support, here’s how to set up your VPN on your router and play FFXIV:
- Open your router configuration panel.
- Go to the VPN client section (Most often found in the Advanced tab, but might be elsewhere depending on your router brand and model).
- Install the VPN according to your provider’s instructions (You can find specific installation steps for supported router models on the VPN’s site).
- Check that the router is connected to the VPN by performing a quick connection test.
- Turn on your PS3/PS4/PS5 console.
- Go to “Settings”, then “Network”, and then “Set Up Internet Connection”.
- Select the network provided by the router with the VPN connection.
- Load up FFXIV and enjoy!
Can I Use Free VPNs to Play FFXIV?
While there are free VPNs available, I generally don’t recommend you use them for gaming or any other online activity that involves sensitive information or requires high bandwidth and low latency. There are several reasons why:
- Limited Server Options – Free VPNs typically have a limited number of server locations available, which can result in slower connection speeds and higher latency.
- Bandwidth Limitations – Free VPNs often limit the amount of data you can use, which can be problematic for playing games like FFXIV, as it requires a significant amount of bandwidth.
- Poor Security – Many free VPN providers have been known to collect and sell user data to third parties. Additionally, their security measures may be lacking, leaving your data vulnerable to hackers and cyber-attacks.
- Unreliability – Free VPN services may be prone to connection drops and interruptions, which can result in lost progress or disconnection from the game server. This can quickly turn your enjoyable FFXIV session into a frustrating one.
- Advertising – Free VPN services may bombard you with advertisements, which can be intrusive and distracting while playing online games like FFXIV.
The Best Free VPN For Final Fantasy
Even the best free VPNs for gaming will limit you in certain aspects when you want to play Final Fantasy XIV. That said, to at least ensure you have a safe gaming experience and fast connection speeds when playing Final Fantasy XIV, the best way to go about it is to use a free plan from a trusted premium VPN.
When it comes to this, Atlas VPN is the best free VPN for FFXIV. With three free servers and 5 GB of free monthly bandwidth, Atlas VPN is a secure VPN service with great features. And, as it’s one of the more affordable premium VPNs, it leaves you the option of upgrading to a paid plan with unlimited bandwidth and a more impressive server network for an inexpensive rate.
FFXIV VPN FAQs
Can I be banned for using a VPN with FFXIV?
No, you won’t get banned for using a VPN in FFXIV. Many players regularly use VPNs to fix ping issues. That said, if you are using the service for malicious activity or other violations of Square Enix’s terms of service, your account can get banned.
What VPN server is best for FFXIV?
When choosing a VPN server for FFXIV, it’s essential to consider factors such as the server’s location, speed, and reliability. Additionally, you should choose a VPN provider that offers fast and stable connections, as well as low ping times.
How to play FF14 securely with a VPN?
Here are a few tips that will help you safely play FFXIV with a VPN:
- Choose a reputable VPN provider
- Use a VPN server in a safe location
- Alway connect to the VPN before launching FF14
- Use a kill switch
Will a VPN help me lower my ping in FFXIV?
Yes, a VPN can improve your ping. If your ISP has network congestion, a VPN can provide a more direct connection to the FFXIV server, resulting in lower ping times. Also, this can occur if the VPN server is closer to the game server than your actual location.
How to check my ping in FFXIV?
Unlike many other online games, FFXIV doesn’t show you your ping when playing. So, to check your in-game ping, you will have to use the command prompt on your PC or a third-party ping checker.
What Final Fantasy XIV VPN offers the most servers?
Private Internet Access is the VPN with the biggest server network on my FFXIV VPN list. There’s no definite answer to how many servers PIA offers, but its server network numbers tens of thousands of servers.
The Best VPNs for FFXIV – Summing it Up
Using a VPN for gaming is an increasingly popular practice among many players. From bettering in-game performance to securing your online gaming sessions, there are several significant reasons why you should use a VPN.
With that said, to make the best of your service, you need to pick a VPN that’s safe, fast, and offers a well-balanced server network. In this regard, each of the six VPNs I’ve discussed above can provide you with optimal gaming performance, regardless of your location.
If you can’t decide which of the six VPNs on this page is best for you, I recommend NordVPN as the best FFXIV VPN. It’s a top-quality service that comes with all of the features you would look for in an industry-leading Virtual Private Network.
Cybersecurity and VPN researcher