5 Best VPNs for PS4, PS5, and Other Consoles
Gaming and streaming on your PS4 or PS5 console are super-convenient and endlessly enjoyable, especially considering all of the PS game exclusives. That said, playing MP games on your PS console puts you at risk of many online threats, most worryingly DDoSing and swatting. Plus, from a practical standpoint, sometimes these multiplayer games also tend to lag and stutter.
Fortunately, you can avoid all of these issues with a VPN. The only thing is, you can’t set up your VPN directly on your PS console. So, if you’re wondering how to get a VPN on PS4, PS5 or are looking for helpful tips on how to set up your PS VPN, we’ve got you covered with this detailed guide.
Why Use a VPN for PlayStation?
Before we talk about the five best VPNs for PS4 and PS5, we should also address the main reasons for using a VPN. This is because a PS VPN carries many security and performance benefits. Considering that, here are the three major reasons why you should use a VPN for PlayStation:
- Enhance Your Experience – Whether you’re gaming competitively or just want to enjoy a stable and fast network when playing PS games, a VPN for PlayStation is a must-have. Some Internet Service Providers restrict their traffic, which is very unfortunate for gamers and streamers. However, With a PS VPN, you can bypass the ISP’s bandwidth throttling and unlock the full potential of your network. This means less lag, lower ping, and overall faster and more stable connections.
- Protect Against Online Threats – A strong VPN helps protect your network from online threats like DDoSing and swatting. Because a PS VPN service will hide your IP address, hackers and attackers will have a much tougher time targeting you. In return, the chances of your private or financial information leaking become minimal.
- Access Any Gaming Server or Platform – With a VPN for PS, you can avoid being automatically connected to the nearest server of your online game. This opens up the whole world of possibilities, as you can choose where you can connect and who you want to play with. Besides this, you’ll also be able to enjoy unrestricted access to any geo-blocked platform that you want to open. This means free access to Netflix, Hulu, Disney+, and any other streaming platform you enjoy using.
5 Best VPNs for PlayStation
As with many other services and platforms, NordVPN is our top pick as the best VPN for PS4/PS5. This VPN powerhouse offers over 5,000 high-performing servers worldwide. All of these servers support the modern NordLynx protocol, which is up to two times faster than any other regular VPN protocol. This is ideal for PS4/PS5 users who almost exclusively use these consoles to play online games and stream content.
NordVPN also has a number of advanced features and some very unique settings. Some of the most important ones include obfuscated servers, DDoS protection, private DNS, and a kill switch. The service also possesses a Smart DNS feature. Moreover, you can also purchase your own dedicated IP for maximum privacy and performance.
Despite being at the top of the VPN industry, NordVPN still maintains very competitive prices, especially considering everything that you get when you purchase a NordVPN subscription.
Privacy-wise, NordVPN also passes with flying colors, as it doesn’t keep any user data logs and uses RAM-based servers. Additionally, it’s based in privacy-friendly Panama, which isn’t a part of any major international surveillance alliance.
And, while you can’t actually download a NordVPN PS4 or NordVPN PS5 app on your console, this service offers apps for all other devices and a long list of supported routers. Moreover, NordVPN also features extensive setup guides and helpful answers on its FAQ page. This makes setting up NordVPN quick and effortless. It’s also one of the reasons why we listed NordVPN on the top of our best VPNs for gaming list as well.
- Thousands of lightning-fast servers
- Unblocks streaming services
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark offers over 3,200 high-speed servers in 65 countries. All of these servers have at least one 1 Gbps port available, while there’s also a good selection of 10 Gbps servers. More importantly, all servers are completely based on RAM and occasionally wiped, meaning that there’s no traceable data that could lead back to you. Surfshark supports several protocols, including the WireGuard network protocol.
Its fast speeds and a large selection of servers make it a great gaming VPN for PS4/PS5 users. That said, Surfshark is much more than just that. It’s packed with intriguing features like Camouflage Mode, Bypasser, CleanWeb, and NoBorders Mode. Besides these, there’s also a good selection of standard features like a kill switch, private DNS and leak protection, and a strict no-logs policy.
This VPN is one of the few to offer unlimited connections per single subscription plan. In addition to all of this, Surfshark is also a very affordable VPN service if you opt for one of their long-term subscription plans.This makes it a perfect choice if you’re looking for a VPN to share with your family members and cover your entire household.
- Very affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- Allows split-tunneling and has multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and strong security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
This service also keeps your connection and PS gaming sessions very safe with a handful of great features. Some of the best ones include IP and DNS leak protection, DDoS protection, and a kill switch . AtlasVPN also secures your connections with AES 256-bit encryption and has a solid no-logs policy stating that the service doesn’t collect any details on its users.
Besides using AtlasVPN on your PS4/PS5, you can also set it up on iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and a couple of TV platforms. Furthermore, as all AtlasVPN servers are P2P-friendly, you can also torrent and share files online without worrying about your privacy getting compromised. You can also rely on a malware, ad, and tracker blocker.
There are also some unique features like SafeSwap, which allows you to access the Internet from several IP addresses simultaneously. While this does slow down your connection a bit, having simultaneous server connections is a great feature if you’re going for maximum privacy. Speaking of simultaneous connections, this VPN service allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously on one subscription plan.
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Limited Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN is the perfect VPN service for PS gamers who want a simple service that meets all of their gaming and streaming needs. This VPN delivers ultra-fast speeds and very stable connections. Moreover, this VPN maintains an impressive uptime of 99.98%.
In other words, there’s almost no chance that you’ll ever experience a connection drop while watching a show or playing your favorite PlayStation game. Plus, the service offers unlimited bandwidth and speed, so you never have to deal with speed connection issues, provided that you have a solid base network.
It also has very good unblocking power, as it can grant you access to all major streaming platforms, regardless of your location. Although it’s fairly streamlined and lightweight, PrivateVPN does have some powerful traits, especially on the security front. Most notably, you can count on a kill switch, strong AES 256-bit encryption, and IPv6 leak protection.
Of course, with a VPN service as simple as this, you shouldn’t count on many advanced features. PrivateVPN doesn’t support a Smart DNS feature, so you can set it up on your computer or directly on your router. That said, the absence of this feature is far from a deal-breaker, especially considering how simple, reliable, and affordable this VPN service is.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN has servers in 160 locations across 94 countries. All of its servers support a handful of industry-accepted protocols. Most notably, all of ExpressVPN’s servers also feature the company’s in-house Lightway protocol. This is a new open-source protocol that offers more reliability and better speeds than traditional VPN protocols.
In other words, ExpressVPN is one of the fastest VPNs on the market. This is crucial for both users who want to stream and play games on their PS4/PS5 console. It’s also one of the most adept VPNs in the world when it comes to unblocking sites and services. This is because ExpressVPN works in almost any region worldwide and can access sites even in the most authoritarian countries on the globe.
ExpressVPN is one of the very few VPNs that allow their users who want to connect their PS to a VPN through a Smart DNS feature. also delivers great security, backed up by its TrustedServer technology. Apart from that, you can count on private DNS on each server, best-in-class encryption, and a kill switch.
Despite being one of the more robust and feature-rich VPNs on the market, ExpressVPN takes less than five minutes to set up and supports all major OS platforms and devices. So, you can conveniently set up ExpressVPN on PS4, PS5, or any other console. Overall, ExpressVPN is a premium-priced VPN offering an uncompromising and top-quality service.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
How to Choose a VPN for PS4, PS5?
So, you’ve read our top recommendations and learned all of the important details about our top five VPN picks for PS consoles. But, how do you choose the PS VPN service that will suit you best?
When picking our top five VPNs, we used a set of specific criteria to filter out the unsuitable services. Focusing on these criteria will let you know which VPN has the best overall package for your needs and preferences. Here are the most important things to watch for when choosing a PS VPN:
- Server Selection – Whether you’re looking to stream content or play games in different regions worldwide, a solid selection of servers is undoubtedly one of the key factors to consider. Not only this, but the more servers a VPN has, the higher the chance is that you’ll always find a nearby server. And, connecting to the nearest servers results in less lag-time and lower ping.
- Connection Speeds – You’ll mostly use your PS4 or PS5 console for two things, gaming and streaming. So, apart from offering a large number of servers, a good VPN for PS should also provide fast connection speeds. The VPN’s servers should support stable connections, ideally suitable for 4K streaming without any lag or stuttering.
- Security Features – As we’ve listed security as one of the factors why you need a VPN for PS, security features are certainly one of the most important aspects to consider. By this, we mean that a PS VPN should have strong encryption, leak protection, and additional advanced settings like a kill switch.
- Geo-unblocking Power – Lastly, if you’re mainly planning on using your PS VPN to stream content from different regions, you need to pick a service powerful enough to go around any geo-block. That way, you’ll be able to access Netflix, Disney+, or any other streaming platform anywhere in the world, no matter where you are.
Apart from these six general aspects, you can pay attention to several other factors that could perhaps matter to you. For example, if you want to set up your PS VPN through Smart DNS, you need to focus on a VPN that offers this feature. Additionally, some aspects like customer support, available payment methods, or money-back policies may matter to some users and not to others.
How to Set Up and Use a VPN on PS4, PS5, or Other Consoles
Hopefully, by this point, you’ve set your sights on one of our top five recommended PlayStation VPN services. In that case, it’s time to move to the more practical part of this guide – how to use a VPN on PS4 and PS5.
When it comes to this, you have several options to pick from. More precisely, you can set up your PS VPN through your PC or Mac, over your router, or go down the Smart DNS method route. If you can’t decide which method is the best one for you, we’ll show you how to set up a VPN on PS4 or PS5 in all four ways.
PS4, PS5 VPN Setup on your Windows Device
Most gamers that set up a VPN of PS4 or PS4 do so by connecting it through their Windows PC or laptop. This is because doing so is pretty easy and straightforward, so it doesn’t require much technical knowledge. With that in mind, here’s how to set up a PlayStation VPN on your Windows device:
- Connect your PS to your PC with an Ethernet cable.
- Choose a VPN and download its Windows app
- Connect to the VPN
- Go to Control Panel and open Network and Sharing Center to change the adapter settings
- Locate your VPN, open Properties available when you right-click
- Allow sharing and confirm
This completes the part of the setup process on your PC. All that’s left now is to turn on your PlayStation and connect. To do this, navigate to the Settings tab, then Network, and choose how you want to connect to the Internet. You can connect through Wi-Fi if your PC has these capabilities or if you’re using a laptop. But, preferably, you should do so through an Ethernet cable, as this will ensure a faster and more stable connection.
If you decide to follow this setup for using a VPN on yourPS4 or PS5, keep in mind that your computer also has to be turned on for the entire time that you’re using your console. Moreover, you may experience slightly higher latency than usual, as your computer uses the same Internet traffic as your console.
PS4, PS5 VPN Setup on Your Mac Device
When setting up a VPN for your PS4 or PS5 console through a Mac device, the process is even faster and easier than when doing so through a Windows device. Taking this into account, here’s how to set up a PS VPN on your Mac device:
- Pick a VPN service and install it on your Mac device
- Connect your PS and Mac with an Ethernet cable
- Go to System Preferences, then Sharing, then Internet sharing, and select your VPN
- Turn on Internet Sharing
- Connect to a VPN server of your choice
- Turn on your PS console and connect to the new network.
Additionally, all of the side notes we’ve mentioned for setting up a PS VPN on your Windows PC apply to Mac devices as well. More precisely, your Mac computer should be on the entire time you use the PlayStation 5 or PlayStation 4 VPN. Moreover, you might experience slightly higher ping as your connection is routed through an extra device.
PS4, PS5 VPN Setup on Your Router
If you don’t want to set up your PS VPN through another Windows or Mac computer, you can do so directly on your router. Keep in mind that doing so will mean that all devices connected to the same router will also be connected to the same VPN network. If you decide that this is the best option for you, here’s how to set up a VPN for PS4 or PS5 on your router:
- Sign up with a trusted VPN service
- Log into your router through a browser using your IP address
- Navigate to the router’s Network tab
- Put in all of the required details for your VPN
- Turn on your PS, go to its network settings, and connect to the newly set up connection.
One more note, make sure to check that your router is compatible and allows you to set up a VPN service on it. Furthermore, every router has different setup steps. The setup guide we’ve shared in this section provides you with general guidelines which may differ depending on which router you have.
Smart DNS PS4, PS5 VPN Setup
Many modern VPN services also come with a Smart DNS feature. This feature allows you to access unrestricted content when gaming, which is ideal for PS4 and PS5 gamers. So, if you want to set up your PS5 or PS4 VPN this way, here’s how to set up a PS VPN through Smart DNS:
- Sign up with a VPN that has a Smart DNS feature (Our top pick is NordVPN)
- Log in to the VPN through your browser to register your IP in the DNS settings
- Turn on your PS and go to Settings, then Network, Set up your Internet connection, and select Custom
- Configure the connection using the DNS code you got in the browser.
After completing this simple four-step setup, you’ll be able to start streaming shows and accessing services that would otherwise be unavailable to you. Additionally, it’s crucial to remember that setting up Smart DNS doesn’t actually protect your network as a real VPN connection does.
A Smart DNS feature just allows you to access region-locked content in other parts of the world. So, if you want both unrestricted access and security, we recommend setting up your PS VPN through one of the previously-shared setup methods.
Free VPNs for PS4, PS5
We generally don’t recommend using free VPN services for a number of significant reasons. Most free VPNs only offer a small selection of servers and can’t support very fast connection speeds. Moreover, many free VPNs come with bandwidth limitations, which are not great for gaming. But, most worryingly, a good number of free VPNs are not safe to use and might even compromise your security.
That said, if you want to use a free VPN service for PS4 or PS5, we recommend AtlasVPN. Apart from offering a premium subscription plan that we’ve discussed above, AtlasVPN also allows you to use it absolutely for free. However, this is a limited service with a smaller number of servers and some other limits. So, depending on your location, it might not be a viable option.
The best alternative to this is to pick a premium VPN service that also offers a money-back guarantee. All of the VPNs we’ve featured on this page offer this sort of feature. Sure, you have to put up the money upfront, but you can ask for a refund after trying it out (usually up to a full month). Most VPNs don’t even require you to give a reason for requesting a refund, making the entire process hassle-free and very quick.
PlayStation VPN FAQs
Can you put a VPN on PS4?
While you can’t technically put a VPN on your PS4, you can still use a VPN service on this console. To do this, you’ll have to set up the VPN on your PC, Mac, or router and connect that way. Alternatively, you can also use a Smart DNS feature if your VPN has one.
Can you get a VPN for PS5?
Yes, you can get a VPN for PS5 but only in the same way that you can get it for a PS4 console. As there’s no way to install an actual VPN app on your PS console, you can set up a VPN for PS5 through your PC, Mac, router, or a Smart DNS feature.
What is the best free VPN for PS4, PS5?
The best free VPN for PS4 and PS5 is AtlasVPN. Although it does come with some limitations, like the number of servers, AtlasVPN’s free subscription plan is a great option overall. Plus, as AtlasVPN itself is a very trustworthy and proven VPN, you can rest assured that you’re using a safe and private free VPN.
How to use a VPN on PS4 or PS5 without a PC?
There are a couple of ways you can use a VPN on your PS console without having to use a PC. More precisely, you can set up your PS VPN directly on your router or use a Smart DNS feature if your VPN has one. Both options are great, but they also come with their distinct pros and cons, as we’ve discussed on this page.
Can I get banned from PSN for using a VPN on my PS4/PS5?
No, you won’t get banned for using a VPN on your PS4 or PS5 console. However, this is true only if you use the PS VPN for streaming, gaming, and protection. If you use it to exploit certain advantages, like buying games for less money, you will put your PSN account at risk of getting banned.
Will a VPN for PS4/PS5 change my PSN country?
No, a VPN won’t actually change your PSN country to the country of the server you connect to. For this to be true, you’ll have to create a different PSN account in the country you want to access.
A fast, secure, and powerful VPN can make your PS gaming experience significantly better and more convenient. But, as we’ve discussed on this page, the main problem with PS VPNs is that you can’t actually set them up on your PlayStation console.
However, with the tips and setup guides that we’ve shared with you above, you don’t have to worry about running into any issues when setting up your PS VPN. Plus, you can rest assured that all five PS VPNs we’ve recommended on this page are thoroughly tested, very reliable, and entirely safe for use.
That said, after comparing these five top VPNs for PS consoles, we’ve found NordVPN to be the best VPN for PS4 and PS5. It has all the features you need in a top PS VPN and is available at very competitive prices. All you need to do is just set it up and start enjoying safe and unrestricted Internet on your PS console.