5 Best VPNs for Xbox in 2022 + Setup Guide
Playing single-player games on Xbox is extremely entertaining, but taking this experience online brings it to a whole different level. Unfortunately, doing so opens up your device to a number of online threats, with DDoSing and swatting being the most common and most worrying ones. Moreover, you will be physically bound to the game’s server that’s nearest to your location.
That said, you can avoid all of these issues by using a VPN for Xbox. Whether you have an Xbox One, Xbox X/S series, or an Xbox 360, a Virtual Private Network is a must-have tool. The right Xbox Live VPN will help keep you safe and private online while enabling you to access any game server worldwide.
Why Use a VPN for Xbox?
If you’ve been playing games on your Xbox for years and never have previously used a VPN for gaming, you might question why you even need an Xbox VPN. While this is a completely legitimate concern, we assure you that there are many arguments why you should use a VPN for Xbox. To be more precise, here are the three biggest reasons for using an Xbox VPN:
- Improve Your Network – If you found that your Xbox games lag from time to time or have high ping, your ISP might be throttling your bandwidth without you even realizing it. With a VPN, you can trick your ISP and unlock the full potential of your network. This can directly result in improved speeds, lower lag, and reduced in-game ping.
- Access Other Regions – If the first reason weren’t enough to sway you to use a VPN for Xbox, this one is arguably the most exciting reason why you should consider it. With an Xbox VPN, you’ll be able to access any region and gaming server worldwide. This means that you can play with anyone, anywhere, anytime. No more being stuck to your region and playing against the same players repeatedly.
- Protect Your Identity – Lastly, another reason to use a VPN for Xbox is that it will greatly enhance your privacy and online security. The VPN’s strong encryption will make it near-impossible for anyone to access your valuable information. Moreover, with IP and DNS leak protection, none of your data will fall into the wrong hands. Plus, some Xbox VPNs even offer DDoS protection.
Best Xbox VPNs
NordVPN offers the most impressive server network of the five VPNs we’ve featured on this page. With over 5,200 servers across 60 countries, NordVPN has got you covered no matter where you are or where you want to be. What’s more, all of these servers support the outstanding NordLynx protocol.
You can count on DNS leak protection and obfuscation capabilities. Other than that, the service offers some very interesting additional features. These include Double VPN, CyberSec, and Onion over VPN. You can also purchase a dedicated IP address if you don’t want to share your IP address with anyone and demand the fastest and most secure experience possible.
NordVPN Xbox One gamers can also rely on full DDoS protection, so there’s no chance that anyone could shut you out of the game this way. Plus, with NordVPN’s state-of-the-art encryption, your network will always be safe from snoopers and malicious online players.
It also provides the best customer support service in the business, with around-the-clock live chat support. NordVPN’s apps are easy to use and available for every software platform and device out there. For all that it offers, NordVPN also comes with a fairly affordable tag and even provides a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Thousands of lightning-fast servers
- Unblocks streaming services
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark offers more than 3,200 servers in 65 countries, all RAM-based and supporting a handful of protocols. This includes the trusted and impressive WireGuard protocol. All of Surfshark’s servers also come with private DNS. They also support the service’s Camouflage Mode feature, which masks the fact that you’re using a VPN.
What makes Surfshark one of the best VPNs for Xbox is the fact that it is one of the fastest VPNs around. Equally important, Surfshark offers very reliable and steady speeds. This is crucial for playing games on your Xbox, as you don’t have to worry about any connection drops or lag.
Surfshark supports all major platforms and works on a long list of routers. Plus, it also offers detailed setup guides on setting it up on any supported device. And when it comes to this, Surfshark also allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices per one account. As this service is super fast, sophisticated, and very affordable, it’s arguably the best-valued VPN in the industry.
- Very affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- Allows split-tunneling and has multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and strong security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
AtlasVPN is an excellent all-around VPN for Xbox and gaming, in general. It has a very good global network numbering over 750 servers. More importantly, it’s packed with great security and performance features. To name a few, AtlasVPN provides reliable IP and DNS leak protection, as well as a network kill switch. You can also count on DDoS protection.
Apart from using it for gaming, you can also employ this VPN if you want to stream content from online streaming platforms. With streaming-optimized servers and strong unblocking power, AtlasVPN is the Swiss army knife of VPN services. You can set it up for your Xbox console through the native Windows or macOS, or directly on your router, as AtalsVPN supports all of these options.
AtlasVPN can be a great choice for all of your devices, not just your Xbox console. This is because it allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices per one subscription. To add to all of this, AtlasVPN is also one of the most affordable VPNs in the industry, especially when considering their long-term plans.
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN might not be the fastest, most powerful, or best all-around VPN we’ve featured in this guide. But, it’s the perfect VPN for beginners, and we often recommend it precisely for this reason. In other words, if you just want to play games on a safe network and enjoy above-average connection speeds but don’t require many advanced features, PrivateVPN is an excellent pick.
This reliable and trustworthy VPN offers servers across more than 200 locations worldwide, providing you with good gaming coverage. It also protects your Xbox and your network with strong encryption, IP and DNS leak protection. What’s more, there’s also a kill switch that cuts off your connection automatically and prevents any data leaks.
Outside of these gaming and safety features, PrivateVPN also ticks many other essential boxes. It doesn’t limit your monthly bandwidth nor sets limitations on how many server switches you’re allowed to make. It can unblock all major streaming sites and is fast enough to deliver HD-quality streaming without any lag or buffer times. But, perhaps its impressive feature Xbox users should know is that it maintains a 99.98% uptime.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN is certainly one of the most reputable VPNs for Xbox out there. It offers more than 3,000 blazing fast servers, all based on RAM disks. All of these servers support the service’s modern and lightweight in-house Lightwat protocol.
ExpressVPN Xbox gamers can rely on some of the strongest security features in the industry, as this VPN uses best-in-class 256-bit AES encryption. It also has a strict no-logs policy and provides IP and DNS leak protection. Additionally, its apps come with a reliable kill switch.
From the user-experience aspect, it offers split tunneling. This feature comes very conveniently if you set up ExpressVPN for Xbox through your computer. It allows you to route only a part of your connection through the VPN tunnel while keeping the rest of it on your network.
However, we should also mention that ExpressVPN’s plans are generally more expensive than what the competitors offer. But, if you want a fast VPN that can go around any geo-block and keep you untouchable at the same time, ExpressVPN is certainly a top choice.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
How to Pick The Right Xbox VPN For You
If you want to get the most out of your Xbox VPN, you need to pick a service that best suits your needs and requirements. With that in mind, here are the most important criteria to consider when choosing an Xbox VPN:
- Speed – Whether you’re just playing games on your Xbox console or also using it to stream your favorite shows, speed is key for both activities. If a VPN for Xbox is slow, it won’t do you much good, as you’ll just be increasing your lag instead of lowering it. Naturally, the Xbox VPN you pick should offer unlimited bandwidth.
- Security – It goes without saying that online gamers potentially expose themselves to many security risks, some of which we’ve mentioned earlier on this page. To protect yourself against these threats, you should pick a VPN for Xbox that possesses robust security features. Most notably, these include a kill switch, DNS and IP leak protection, and DDoS protection.
- Privacy – Besides encrypting your data and keeping it safe from any snoopers, the VPN itself should be very private. In other words, it shouldn’t collect any data logs on your online activities. Preferably, it should also be based in a country that isn’t a member of any international surveillance organizations or that has lax online data retention laws.
- Server Network – Apart from the three performance aspects we’ve listed above, the total number of servers is a big factor for every Xbox VPN. Generally speaking, the more servers an Xbox VPN offers, the better. This is because a more extensive server network allows you to always find nearby server locations for fast connections and access any region you want to.
- Unblocking Power – If you often game on the go and like to carry your Xbox when you travel, a VPN with strong unblocking power is key. What’s more, even if you’re just playing from home, this is a crucial feature to pay attention to. It can help you access content in other regions that would otherwise be restricted in your location.
- Ease of Use and Device Support – Lastly, the VPN for Xbox must offer good usability and allow for easy and quick configuration. As you can’t install the service directly on your Xbox, you’ll have to set it up through your router or computer. Because of this, a good Xbox VPN should ideally offer Windows and Mac apps and provide router compatibility.
How to Set Up And Use a VPN on Xbox One
Without any native VPN apps for Xbox or any way to install a VPN on Xbox One, setting up and using an Xbox VPN is a bit challenging. As you can’t install it directly on the console, you have to go the longer route by setting it up through a separate device. When it comes to this, you have three options. You can either install it on your router or connect it through your Windows or macOS device. We’ll cover all three of these ways.
How to Set Up an Xbox VPN on Your Router
The quickest and easiest way to enjoy the advantages a VPN can offer is to set it up on your router. Of course, this also means that all other devices connected to the same network will go through the VPN tunnel. That said, if you want to go down this route, here’s how to set up an Xbox VPN on your router:
- Sign up with a VPN service (We recommend NordVPN)
- Use your router’s IP address to log into the router through your browser
- Go to your router’s network tab
- Input the details of the VPN you’ve picked
- Turn on your Xbox and open “Settings”
- Choose to set up a wireless network
- Set your Xbox to use the VPN-connected router
This completes the setup process through your router. However, we should highlight that not all routers are compatible with VPNs. So, make sure that your router has built-in support before trying to set up your Xbox VPN using this method.
How to Set Up VPN on Xbox One on Your PC
If you don’t want to set up a VPN so that it covers your entire network, the next best thing to do is use a Windows PC or laptop to share your VPN connections with the Xbox One. This requires a bit more work and is more complicated than setting up the VPN on your router. But, don’t worry, as we’ve prepared a detailed step-by-step guide on how to set up a VPN for Xbox One of your PC:
- Sign up with a VPN service
- Download the VPN PC app.
- Connect your PC and Xbox with an Ethernet cable
- Go to “Control Panel” and open “Network and Sharing Center”
- Select “Change Adapter Settings”
- Right-click on your VPN in the newly-opened menu and pick “Properties”
- Go to “Sharing” and tick the first box
This seven-step process should allow you to connect to the Internet through your Windows computer as the virtual router. The only thing left is to connect by going to your Xbox’s network settings. Keep in mind that your computer must be turned on and have an active VPN connection the entire time you use your Xbox, as your Xbox Live traffic is sent through it.
Additionally, we want to mention that this setup process applies to all Xbox devices. So, regardless if you have the latest Xbox console or an older model like an Xbox 360, you can still follow these steps and set up the Xbox VPN through your PC or laptop.
How to Set Up VPN on Xbox One on Your Mac
When it comes to setting up your Xbox VPN through a macOS device, the setup process doesn’t differ that much from the one we’ve covered talking about Windows devices. With that in mind, here’s how to set up an Xbox VPN on your macOS device:
- Sign up with a VPN service and install it on your macOS device
- Connect your macOS device and Xbox with an Ethernet cable
- Open “System Preferences”, then “Sharing” and after that, “Internet Sharing” on your macOS device
- Select the “Choose Wi-Fi” option to select the ethernet cable.
- Open the VPN and connect to a server
This completes the Xbox VPN setup process on your macOS device. If you’ve successfully connected your Xbox to your macOS device, a small green symbol will appear next to the “Internet Sharing” tab. After that, you can start using your VPN on your Xbox!
Free VPNs for Xbox
We usually advise you not to use any free VPN services. This is because free VPN services offer fewer servers, often with sub-par connection speeds. Moreover, many free VPNs aren’t even safe to use, as they collect your activity data and personal information only to sell it to the highest bidder. Additionally, recent research has shown that a large percentage of free VPNs contain malware.
But, if you want to go down this route, there still are some free options you can trust and use. Specifically, we recommend picking AtlasVPN, as it is one of our top recommended Xbox VPNs overall. And in this context, besides offering a great premium subscription plan, AtlasVPN is arguably the best free VPN for Xbox.
Even with the free subscription plan, AtlasVPN allows you to take advantage of unlimited data and bandwidth. The only catch is that you’ll have access to a very limited selection of servers. Still, if you’re looking for a free service that’s also trustworthy and proven to be safe, AtlasVPN is your best option.
Alternatively, you can also purchase a VPN subscription from a service that offers a money-back guarantee. All five VPNs we’ve featured on this page have such offers. That way, you can use the VPN for Xbox One for a certain period and then request a refund, no questions asked. By doing so, you don’t actually have to spend any money in the end.
Xbox VPNs FAQs
Can I use VPN on Xbox One?
Yes, you can use a VPN on Xbox One. However, you can’t directly install the VPN app on your Xbox device. Because of this, you have to set it up through your computer or directly through your router. But, doing so shouldn’t present any problem if you follow the guides we’ve shared with you on this page.
Does a VPN for Xbox One improve gaming speeds?
Yes, in some cases, a VPN for Xbox One can help improve your gaming speeds. If you suspect that your ISP is throttling your bandwidth, connecting to a VPN server allows you to bypass this problem and enjoy faster speeds. Moreover, it’s also been proven that a VPN for Xbox one can reduce your lag and ping.
Can you get banned for using VPN on Xbox?
No, if you use an Xbox VPN to play your favorite games in different regions and protect your network, you won’t get banned. That said, you should avoid using the Xbox VPN to access different markets and buy games for less money or get other financial benefits. In these cases, you’re likely risking getting banned.
Can you connect a VPN to Xbox Series X/S or Xbox 360?
Yes, you can set up a VPN for Xbox Series X/S or a VPN for Xbox 360 without any trouble. The setup process is identical to the one we’ve covered above for Xbox One. Just follow the steps on how to use a VPN on Xbox One that we’ve covered above, and you can enjoy the same benefits you would on an Xbox One.
Hopefully, our thorough guide has provided you with everything you need to know about the best Xbox VPN services. To sum it up, if you want to avoid issues like bandwidth throttling and high ping, speed up your connection, and enhance your network security, all that’s left now is to pick an Xbox VPN and set it up.
If you can’t decide which VPN for Xbox is the best option for you, our top pick is NordVPN. We find NordVPN to be the best VPN for Xbox. That said, no matter which of our top five picks you go for, you can rest assured that they have been thoroughly tested by our experts to ensure that they can deliver maximum security and optimal speed to your Xbox gaming sessions.