Best VPNs for Call of Duty Warzone in 2023 (Low-Ping)
- A Call of Duty Warzone VPN can help you avoid SBMM, help you access easier lobbies, lower ping, and more.
- Some VPNs are more capable than others, so picking the right service makes all the difference.
- You can use a Warzone VPN without getting banned. However, you might encounter issues if you use it to exploit certain features of the game.
Our testing has shown that NordVPN is the best VPN for Call of Duty Warzone.
Call of Duty is arguably one of the biggest and best-known video game franchises in the history of gaming. Call of Duty Warzone, released in 2020, is a free-to-play battle royale game that has seen huge popularity since its release, with well over 100 million registered players.
That said, the game has seen its fair share of limitations. Multiplayer matchups are region-locked, meaning you can’t play against gamers from other regions. Additionally, issues like lag or potential DDoS threats are very real.
The best solution for all these problems is a reliable VPN for Call of Duty. A top-quality VPN can help ensure your COD Warzone sessions are stable, lag-free, and safe. That said, it’s essential to pick a trustworthy VPN. For a more detailed overview of our top Warzone VPN picks, check out the table below:
Best VPNs for Call of Duty Warzone – Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – The best Warzone VPN.
- Surfshark – Affordable with unlimited connections.
- AtlasVPN – COD Warzone VPN with a free version.
- PrivateVPN – Provides great security while gaming.
- ExpressVPN – Premium VPN to access any COD Warzone region.
Why Use a VPN for Call of Duty Warzone?
Whether you’re a professional gamer or play Warzone just for fun, there are numerous reasons why you should consider using a Warzone VPN. Here are the biggest arguments for playing Warzone with a VPN:
- Avoid SBMM – Skill-based matchmaking is a convenient feature that matches you with other players of the same or better skills. However, if you want to climb through the leaderboards more easily, you want to be able to access bot lobbies. In simple terms, bot lobbies are servers that mainly include unskilled players. A VPN helps you bypass SBMM and access these easier lobbies.
- Play Against Gamers From Different Regions – A VPN provider with a large server network offers you the opportunity of playing against many different players from all over the world. Additionally, when you’re traveling abroad, you can connect to your favorite servers, no matter where you are.
- Lower Your Ping When Playing Warzone – Using a VPN can sometimes help speed up your Internet, make it more stable, and enable you to play Warzone with a lower ping. This happens in instances when your Internet Service Provider is throttling your bandwidth. If you’re playing competitively, every millisecond counts, and a VPN can help you get the necessary edge.
- Play Warzone With Maximum Security – A VPN doesn’t only improve your connection and gives you more freedom in choosing Warzone servers. It also protects your gaming traffic, keeps you safe from DDoS attacks, and encrypts your connection through a VPN tunnel.
Call of Duty VPN Comparison
|Ranking for Gaming||5/5||4.8/5||4.6/5||4.6/5||4.8/5|
|Avg. Speed||46,4 Mbps||40,1 Mbps||35,9 Mbps||43,6 Mbps||42,2 Mbps|
|Logs||No-logs||No identifiable logs||No identifiable logs||No logs||No identifiable logs|
|Suitable for Games||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|P2P Traffic||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Best Deals||63% OFF + Gift||Save 81%||83% OFF||Save 85%||3 months FREE|
The Best Warzone VPN Services – Our Detailed List
NordVPN is our top pick for the best VPN for COD Warzone and all other COD games in general. The reason for this is simple. It comes with all the bells and whistles you need for a seamless gaming experience.
Strong privacy security settings, servers capable of unblocking any region, and a built-in automatic kill switch are just some of the many features that make NordVPN our top choice. From a game’s perspective, it’s good to know that this service can protect you against DDoS attacks and DNS leaks.
NordVPN’s large server network trumps what my other four picks have to offer, as it covers over 5,500 servers in 60 countries. These servers support the state-of-the-art NordLynx protocol, the best-performing VPN protocol currently available in the industry. NordVPN’s extensive server network also includes obfuscated servers.
Looking at the first-hand metrics, there are many reasons that solidify NordVPN at first place. Primarily, NordVPN is the fastest VPN on my list. On average, the speed dropdown was around 5% on nearby servers and up to 10% on remote servers. There are no specifically gaming-optimized servers, but I’ve found NordVPN performs excellently on every server I connected to.
As an avid PS4 gamer, I specifically enjoyed testing NordVPN on this platform. The VPN supports a long list of routers, so I had no trouble installing it on my device. Accessing easier lobbies on the console was very easy once I found the best VPN locations based on my geographical location.
Even accessing commonly-known bot lobbies in distant Singapore and SEA was very convenient, as NordVPN keeps stable connections over long distances. So, no matter where you’re physically located, you can find easy lobbies without compromising connection speeds or incurring higher lag.
Best of all, NordVPN comes at very affordable subscription rates, especially when you consider everything their service includes. You can also take advantage of their 30-day money-back guarantee. Due to all of this, NordVPN headlines my list as the best of the best VPNs for Call of Duty Warzone.
NordVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||46,4 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,3 Mbps|
|Best deal||63% OFF + Gift|
- Fastest Warzone VPN on my list
- Proven track record in lowering lag and ping in Warzone
- VPN with the biggest server network
- Protection from DDoS attacks and other online threats
- 24/7 live chat support
- Access streaming platforms without any issues
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Less simultaneous connections than most of my other picks
- More expensive than my 2nd best Warzone VPN pick
Surfshark offers a very balanced service that excels on all fronts. It’s fast enough for gaming and provides a massive server network of 3,200+ servers in 100 countries, ideal for gamers and those who like to stream content from various regions.
Moreover, Surfshark is loaded with great features. Some of the most impressive ones include Camouflage Mode and No Borders Mode. There’s also split tunneling and a kill switch.
I’ve found Surfshark to be one of the fastest Warzone services in the industry. Testing it from Europe, I enjoyed great speeds on all of its tested European servers. The speed dropdown was usually around 10% compared to my regular network.
That said, while Surfshark is exceptionally fast, it noticeably falls behind NordVPN when comparing remote server speeds. Its US servers were clearly slower than the numbers NordVPN put up, as you can see in the table below.
If you’re a console gamer and want to set up Surfshark on your router, you’ll have slightly fewer options than you have with NordVPN. Although this VPN still supports a solid selection of routers, I recommend NordVPN over Surfshark in this regard.
Even though I ranked it behind NordVPN, Surfshark does have an edge over my number-one pick in several categories. First, This service allows you to connect an unlimited number of devices simultaneously. So, you’re not limited with your options as you can be with NordVPN.
Secondly, Surfshark is a more affordable VPN than NordVPN on every time horizon. The difference in the monthly subscription price is negligible. But, if you opt for a one-year or two-year plan, you can save up some nice spare change.
This makes a great budget service with some compelling performance features. It has a strict no-logs policy and is independently audited to prove its transparency and trustworthiness.
Surfshark Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||40,1 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||39,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,8 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 81%|
- Fast gaming speeds with low lag
- More affordable than NordVPN (Especially long-term)
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Supports the WireGuard protocol
- Allows split-tunneling and has a multi-hop VPN feature
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Less favorable for remote servers than NordVPN
- Smaller server network than NordVPN
AtlasVPN offers over 750 servers worldwide. This is discernibly less than what NordVPN and Surfshark offer, but it will suffice for most casual players. And, while Atlas VPN doesn’t offer dedicated gaming servers, all of its servers support the WireGuard protocol. This super-fast protocol performs great for Warzone.
Looking at the direct testing numbers (which you can see slightly lower in the table), Atlas VPN delivers speeds that are faster than the industry average. The speeds on nearby servers are very respectable and more than enough for fast and stable Warzone gaming. However, compared to the top performers, Atlas VPN is still slower than NordVPN and Surfshark.
This difference is especially noticeable on the Singapore servers I used as one of my baseline tests. Atlas VPN is around 20% slower than NordVPN and Surfshark on these remote servers. So, if you want to access easier lobbies on remote servers, I recommend choosing one of my first two picks over Atlas VPN.
Atlas VPN also comes with several sophisticated performance features. Among the most exciting ones are split tunneling and SafeSwap. It also has a MultiHop+ feature, which tunnels your connection through multiple rotating locations. Admittedly, this isn’t great for Warzone and obtaining the fastest speeds. But, it’s a superb choice when you want to boost your online security.
Moreover, AtlasVPN is one of the few trusted VPN providers that offer unlimited connections. It also offers very affordable VPN subscription deals. In this regard, it joins Surfshark as one of the two best VPNs for players who want a budget service or a VPN they can share for multiplayer sessions with their friends.
AtlasVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||35,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||34,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||29,9 Mbps|
|Best deal||83% OFF|
- Very low ping on Warzone when connected to nearby servers
- Above-average gaming speeds
- Unlimited device support
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- WireGuard protocol and DNS leak protection
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slowest performer on remote servers in my top five list
- Significantly fewer servers than my two top picks
If you’re not an avid VPN enthusiast and are just looking for a steadfast VPN for COD, PrivateVPN is an excellent choice. It won’t wow you with tons of advanced performance features, but it offers a well-balanced set of tools that make it a great COD VPN and gaming in general.
Compared to services like NordVPN, Surfshark, and ExpressVPN, PrivateVPN offers a seemingly disappointing network. It covers only about 200 server locations in 63 countries. With a network of such a size, you shouldn’t count on any optimized gaming servers. But, the network is so well spread out that you won’t find it lacks connection options, no matter where you are.
As a fundamentally sound VPN, it supports a handful of common VPN protocols, such as WireGuard and the OpenVPN protocol . Its Windows app is very easy to use, and you can also install it on your router if you primarily want to play Warzone on your PS4 or Xbox One console.
While it’s not as advanced as NordVPN, it can keep up excellently on all connections. More specifically, it even outperformed NordVPN in some tests. Comparing the Singapore server speeds, PrivateVPN was around 10% faster than NordVPN. This is a great metric to keep in mind if you want to access easy lobbies in SEA while still maintaining great speeds and low lag.
Lastly, I often like to stress this fact about PrivateVPN, and that is that this simple and well-rounded VPN offers a 99.98% uptime. In this regard, PrivateVPN is among the most stable VPNs in the industry. It even performs better than NordVPN, which guarantees an uptime of “only” 99.9%.
PrivateVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||43,6 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45.9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||40,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 85%|
- Great gaming speeds on both local and global servers
- 99.98% uptime guarantees a fantastic Warzone experience
- Zero-logging policy
- Ten simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The smallest network out of the five VPNs on my list
- Fewer in-app features than the rest of my picks
Justifying the “Express” part of its name, this VPN service offers some of the fastest server speeds around. That said, their offer doesn’t only excel in quality but also provides excellent value quantity-wise. With over 3,000 servers spread across 160 server locations in 94 countries, it offers a network of a similar size as Surfshark.
Equally as important, all of ExpressVPN’s servers support the in-house Lightway protocol. While it won’t make much of a difference in Warzone, this light and super-fast protocol is particularly opportune for COD Mobile, as it draws very little battery power.
ExpressVPN is certainly one of the fastest VPNs on the market. While it isn’t the fastest VPN on my list in any regard, it maintains excellent connections on every server. In other words, no matter how far the server is, ExpressVPN will maintain low lag and fast speeds. Like PrivateVPN, it’s also faster on the Singapore server than NordVPN. However, it is slower on both US and European servers.
ExpressVPN is known for its strong geo-unblocking power. It even works in heavily-censored countries like China, Russia, and many others. This enables you to game without borders, no matter where you are in the world.
Additionally, it offers protection features like a kill switch and TrustedServer technology. This means that you don’t have to worry about any data leaks or DDoS attacks when playing Warzone with ExpressVPN.
While ExpressVPN is an impressive service all-around, if you’re on a budget, it’s far from an ideal choice. For example, it’s over $2/month more expensive than NordVPN and Surfshark on the one-year plan. Plus, the 12-month subscription is the longest one you can get.
When you factor in that it only offers five simultaneous connections, services like Surfshark and Atlas VPN seem like much more favorable deals. This financial drawback keeps ExpressVPN in fifth place, despite its great speeds and strong set of features.
ExpressVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||42,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||40,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||38,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||+3 months FREE|
- Very fast and stable Warzone speeds on all servers
- Easy router setup for playing Warzone on consoles
- No-logs policy and based in the British Virgin Islands
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The most expensive VPN on my list
- Only five simultaneous connections
Testing Methodology: How We Picked The Best VPNs For COD
In order to separate the best Warzone VPNs from the rest of the competition, we used a set of strict criteria during the testing process. Here are the most important aspects we evaluated when comparing Warzone VPNs:
- Internet Connection Speeds – Your Internet speed is the number-one factor affecting your Warzone game experience. With this in mind, the five VPNs I listed on this page all offer fast and reliable connections that can support anyone who wants to play Warzone competitively.
- Ping and Latency – High ping and latency can absolutely ruin your gaming experience. Not to mention, you won’t make any progress if you’re playing Warzone competitively. The best Warzone VPNs on this list all produced very good ping numbers and are suitable even for competitive lag-free gaming.
- Server Network Size – The larger the server network size is, the more options you will have to pick a server location. In the same breath, it will enable you to pick an optimal server and find Warzone bot lobbies more easily.
- Device Compatibility – Warzone is available on Windows, PS4, and Xbox One. To provide you with a wide playing field, the Call of Duty Warzone VPN should ideally offer a VPN app or support a setup for each of these platforms. This includes a router app for platforms on which you can’t directly install a VPN.
- Safety Features – Besides boosting your performance and helping you access easy bot lobbies, the best Warzone VPNs should also keep you safe when gaming. Primarily, this includes protection against DDoS attacks and strong encryption. The VPN should also have a kill switch and DNS leak protection.
- Additional Factors – In addition to the five factors above, the best Warzone VPN must also meet a few extra criteria. It should offer solid value for money, have reliable customer support service, and support a sufficient number of simultaneous connections.
How To Play Warzone With a VPN and Get Easy Bot Lobbies
After covering how a VPN can help you access easier Warzone lobbies, let’s put this knowledge to the test by trying to access easy lobbies. In this step-by-step guide, I’ll show you how to use a Warzone VPN to access easy lobbies:
- Sign up with a VPN and download the app (I recommend NordVPN).
- When the installation is complete, log into your account.
- Connect to the best VPN location based on your physical location.
- Open COD Warzone.
- Start a test game to check if the game’s ping is good before getting into your session.
- If the ping is between 50-100ms or lower, you can start playing!
How to Set Up a Warzone VPN on Consoles
As you might know, you can’t directly install the VPN on your Xbox One or PS4 console, as these devices don’t natively support VPNs. Because of this, you will have to go down an alternate route. To help you out with this, I’ve prepared two distinct but straightforward methods.
The PC Method for Consoles
This method includes setting up a Virtual Private Network for your console through your computer’s Internet connection. This is the easier method, and I recommend going with this option if you’re not very tech-savvy. Here’s how to do it:
- Open Your Windows VPN app and connect to a server location.
- Turn on the Mobile Hotspot option on your PC.
- Change Your Adapter Options.
- Allow sharing for your VPN server.
- Turn on your console and connect to the newly-established connection.
- Start playing Warzone!
The Router Setup Method
If you don’t want to share your connection through your PC, the next best way is to go for a router setup. I should mention that a VPN router app will cover all devices with the same VPN server, not just your console. This is important to keep in mind if you have several devices connected to the same network. Here’s how to set up a Warzone VPN for your console through a router:
- Go to your VPN’s page to check whether your router is compatible.
- Log into your router.
- Upload the VPN’s firmware.
- Follow the steps to upgrade firmware.
- Turn on your PS4/Xbox One console and connect to the router.
- Open Warzone and enjoy!
Additional Tips on How to Get Easy Lobbies
In most cases, simply connecting to one of the VPN’s gaming-optimized servers will help you access bot lobbies. But, if this doesn’t work for you, there are a few extra things you can try. Here are a few of the best tips on how to find bot lobbies in Call of Duty Warzone:
- Play During Off-peak Hours – Bot lobbies are more likely to appear during times when fewer players are online, such as early in the morning or late at night.
- Play on Less Popular Servers – Some servers may have a smaller player base, which increases the chances of getting matched with bots. Read forums and player comments to find what servers often tend to have easy lobbies with unskilled players.
- Use a Secondary Account – Creating a new account can help reset your skill level and increase the chances of getting matched with less skilled players and bots.
What Do I Do If My Warzone VPN Isn’t Working?
If you pick one of the best VPNs for Call of Duty Warzone from my list, you won’t experience any issues most of the time. If this does happen on rare occasions, here are some tips that can help you when your Warzone VPN isn’t working:
- Check Your Internet Connection – Make sure that you have a stable Internet connection and that your router is working properly. Also, check that your VPN is properly set up and connected.
- Switch to a Different Server – Sometimes, certain VPN servers may be experiencing issues or may be blocked by Warzone. Switching to a different server can easily resolve the issue in those instances.
- Check Your VPN’s Settings – Make sure that your VPN is set up to work with Warzone, and that any firewalls or antivirus software that may be blocking your VPN are disabled.
- Contact Customer Support – If you’re still experiencing issues, reach out to your VPN provider’s customer support team for assistance. They may be able to help troubleshoot the issue and provide specific recommendations for getting your VPN to work with Warzone.
- Consider Using a Different VPN – If none of these steps work, consider using a different VPN provider that is better suited for gaming or that has a more reliable connection to Warzone.
Can I Use a Free VPN for Warzone?
As a VPN and online security expert, I wholeheartedly advise you to avoid using free VPNs. Using a free VPN for Warzone gameplay carries with itself various issues and drawbacks.
Free VPNs often have limited server options and bandwidth. This will result in slower Internet speeds, increased latency, and reduced gaming performance. This can be especially problematic when playing Warzone, as this game requires fast and stable Internet speeds.
Moreover, free VPN providers can’t provide the same level of security and privacy as paid VPN services. Many free VPNs have been found to track and sell user data, compromise security protocols, or expose users to malware and other security risks.
So, while it might be tempting to save a few bucks per month by going with a free VPN, I wouldn’t go down this route. The potentially compromised security and unbearably subpar performance are enough reasons to go with a reputable paid VPN service.
If you don’t want to pay for a service, the next best thing is to sign up for a free plan from a premium and reliable VPN. My go-to recommendation in this case is Atlas VPN. It offers a limited but solid free plan you can use to test how playing Warzone with a VPN connection feels before purchasing a paid subscription.
Warzone VPN FAQs
How does a VPN stop SBMM in Warzone?
A VPN can change a player’s IP address and geographic location, which can affect the matchmaking process. By connecting to a server in a different location, you can be matched with players from a different region with a different player skill distribution.
What are the best VPN server locations for Warzone?
The best Warzone VPN locations depend on your physical location, so what’s good for you might not be suitable for other players. However, servers in North Africa and SEA might be best, as they will help you access the most bot lobbies on average.
Can a Warzone VPN stop speed throttling?
Yes, using a VPN for Warzone can help prevent speed throttling by your ISP. By using a VPN, your traffic is encrypted and rerouted through a remote server, making it more difficult for your ISP to detect and throttle your connection based on your activity.
Can VPN reduce Ping while playing Call of Duty?
Yes, a VPN can help you reduce your ping and lag when playing Call of Duty games. The key is to find a suitable server nearby that will guarantee a free and streamlined flow of information between your PC and the game’s servers.
Can I get banned for using a VPN with Warzone?
Using a VPN to play Warzone is not against the game’s terms of service or policy. However, if a VPN is used to engage in cheating, such as to access bot lobbies or exploit vulnerabilities in the game, it can result in a ban or other penalties.
Conclusion – The Importance of Using the Best VPN For Call of Duty
With the tips and advice I’ve shared with you on this page, you’ll be able to unblock, improve, and enjoy Warzone and all other COD multiplayer games you like playing. You can relish switching between global servers, minimizing your ping, and locking up your sensitive data and real identity.
If you’re looking to jump into your favorite COD game and start playing multiplayer, any of the five VPNs I’ve discussed above guarantees a premium quality service.
After meticulously testing and comparing my five top picks, I’ve found that NordVPN is my top pick as the best VPN for Call of Duty games. It offers you the complete package of fast servers, secure connections, uncompromising security, and affordable prices.