5 Best VPNs for Destiny 2 in 2023 (Fast Speeds and Low Ping)
Destiny 2 VPN Key Points
- Using a VPN for Destiny 2 won’t get you banned automatically. But, if you use it to exploit the game and get an advantage, the game might ban your entire account.
- A VPN can lower your ping in Destiny 2, but it’s important to utilize it properly for this to happen.
- Avoid using free VPNs for Destiny 2, as they are slow, limit your bandwidth, and can even compromise your online security.
Our testing has shown that NordVPN is the best VPN for Destiny 2.
First released as a pay-to-play game, Destiny 2 is a free-to-play game that enjoys massive popularity in the gaming community. It’s a well-polished, fun, and very interactive multiplayer game that enables you to play in player versus environment mode (PvE) or player versus player mode (PvP).
But, like all online games, it’s not free from lags, connection drops, and server issues. Plus, there’s also the always-present threat of DDoS attacks and security breaches.
The only way to avoid all of these issues with one move is to use a Destiny 2 VPN. Of course, not all VPNs can provide you with features suitable for gaming, so you have to pick accordingly. If you’re looking to use a VPN for Destiny 2, this in-depth guide will provide you with all the info you need.
Best VPNs for Destiny 2 – Our Shortlist
- NordVPN – Best VPN for Destiny 2.
- Surfshark – High-performing and very user-friendly.
- AtlasVPN – A great budget choice.
- PrivateVPN – Easy-to-use Destiny 2 VPN.
- ExpressVPN – Excellent all-around VPN for Destiny 2.
Why Do You Need a VPN to Play Destiny 2?
There are several considerable reasons why you should use a Destiny 2 VPN. Let’s take a close look at each of them:
- Reduce Destiny 2 Ping – A VPN with fast and stable servers can improve your gaming experience. It can help you lower your lag and ping and provide you an edge over other players when gaming competitively. A VPN is particularly effective in this task if your Internet Service Provider has been intentionally limiting your connection speed.
- Get Unrestricted Server Access – When you play Destiny 2 through a VPN, you can access all of the game’s worldwide servers. From the US to Germany, Sweden, and many other countries, you can handpick the servers you want to play at. That way, you can test your skills against players from all over the globe.
- Bypass IP Bans – The ability to switch between servers can also come in very handy if the game IP banned you. You can just connect to a different server and continue playing. Keep in mind that this won’t work if your account has been banned.
- Increase Your Privacy and Security – One of the biggest advantages of VPNs are the many security features these handy tools come with. Focusing on the use of VPNs for gaming, this mainly includes DDoS attack protection.
Destiny 2 VPN Comparison
|Ranking for Gaming||5/5||4.8/5||4.6/5||4.6/5||4.8/5|
|Avg. Speed||46,4 Mbps||40,1 Mbps||35,9 Mbps||43,6 Mbps||42,2 Mbps|
|Logs||No-logs||No identifiable logs||No identifiable logs||No logs||No identifiable logs|
|Suitable for Games||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|P2P Traffic||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes||✅ Yes|
|Best Deals||63% OFF + Gift||Save 81%||83% OFF||Save 85%||3 months FREE|
Best VPNs for Destiny 2 in 2023 – our detailed list:
NordVPN is the best VPN for Destiny in this reviewer’s opinion. It offers a large server network of over 5,500 VPN servers in 60 countries. It also uses its own in-house tunneling protocol called NordLynx. After playing Destiny 2 with this protocol for several hours, I was impressed by just how fast my connection speed was during the entire gaming experience.
To paint a better picture, I want to go into some numbers and metrics. NordVPN was the fastest VPN on both US and UK servers. The speed dropdown on these locations was about 5%, besting the numbers my four other picks posted.
I didn’t have any connection drops while playing and experienced consistently low lag while in the game. The speed dropdown on the Singapore server was about 10% compared to my regular network speed, but this still wasn’t nearly enough to affect my experience in any negative way. This was the second-fastest result on this server, coming behind only PrivateVPN.
Besides these impressive speeds, NordVPN also possesses great security features. This includes protection against DDoS attacks, strong encryption, and a kill switch. You can use the same VPN for much more than gaming. It’s great for unblocking streaming platforms like Twitch and lets you secure up to six smart devices, as well as your router, on one subscription plan.
NordVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||46,4 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,3 Mbps|
|Best deal||63% OFF + Gift|
- Large network ideal for Destiny 2 players from all over the world
- The fastest VPN for Destiny 2 overall
- Based in Panama, with a strict no-logs policy and RAM-only servers
- Protection from DDoS attacks and other online threats
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Fewer connections per subscription than Surfshark
- A more expensive Destiny 2 VPN than Surfshark
Surfshark VPN offers more than 3,200 servers in 100 countries worldwide. This is considerably less than what NordVPN has but is still enough for the second-highest place on my list.
But, Surfshark is much more than just these server numbers. It’s also one of the fastest VPNs around. With a speed dropdown of around 10% on nearby servers, Surfshark delivers incredible speeds for playing Destiny 2. The difference between it and NordVPN is there, but not so much that casual VPN users and gamers would notice.
Surfshark’s above-average server speeds are backed up by a kill switch, split tunneling, and Camouflage Mode. The latter feature uses obfuscated servers to hide the fact that you’re using a VPN. Like the other four VPNs on my list, it also offers unlimited bandwidth.
While it might lack compared to NordVPN in some aspects and not have a proprietary protocol like my first pick, Surfshark has its unique strong points over NordVPN. It is a more affordable VPN service than NordVPN and doesn’t limit the number of connections per subscription plan. These are two very valuable aspects, especially if you’re picking a VPN for Destiny 2 on a budget.
Surfshark Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||40,1 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||39,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||35,8 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 81%|
- Offers smooth Destiny 2 gameplay with no lag on all servers
- A more affordable VPN provider than NordVPN
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Supports the WireGuard protocol
- Strict no-logs policy and robust security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Slower than most selections on my list
- Smaller server network than NordVPN
When it comes to online gaming, Atlas VPN has strong features to offer. After playing Destiny 2 with it for several hours, I don’t have any particularly negative remarks about the experience. It’s fast, will keep your ping low, and can help you bypass ISP throttling.
Compared to most other VPNs in the industry, Atlas VPN is one of the best VPNs around. Still, I placed it in third place because my first two picks are better in multiple key aspects. Firstly, Atlas VPN has a significantly smaller network, numbering around 750 servers worldwide.
It is also the slowest VPN on my list. While the speeds on nearby servers were pretty good, Atlas VPN delivered poor results on remote servers, especially on the Singapore one. Overall, the download speed was around 20% slower than NordVPN across the board on most servers.
Still, it is a more affordable service than NordVPN and offers unlimited connections. It deservedly ranks as the third-best VPN for Destiny 2. It comes with plenty of advanced features and has a 24/7 live chat support service.
AtlasVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||35,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||34,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||29,9 Mbps|
|Best deal||83% OFF|
- Fast with a low ping on nearby servers
- Helpful against an ISP throttling your connection
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol and strong security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The slowest VPN out of my five picks
- VPN with the 2nd smallest server network on this list
PrivateVPN has the smallest server network out of all of my five picks, with only around 200 servers. However, while this network might look disappointingly small, PrivateVPN has managed to outperform all of my other selections in certain metrics.
Thanks to the WireGuard protocol, PrivateVPN is one of the fastest VPNs for Destiny 2 overall. What’s more, it is actually the fastest VPN for Destiny 2 on SEA servers. It even clobbered NordVPN in this regard and impressed me with its low lag and fast speeds.
Moving away from the gaming perspective, PrivateVPN is one of the few VPNs that support port forwarding. This is something that you can’t find even in top services like NordVPN and Surfshark. This is great if you also want to torrent content.
Security-wise, PrivateVPN also doesn’t fail to impress. This VPN provides strong DNS leak protection, IPv6 leak protection, and a reliable automatic kill switch.
PrivateVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||43,6 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||45.9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||40,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||Save 85%|
- The fastest VPN for Destiny 2 on SEA servers
- 99,98% uptime great for long-form Destiny 2 gaming sessions
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and ten connections per subscription plan
- Very helpful live chat support service
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN is one of the fastest and best VPN services for Destiny 2. And, while it wasn’t the fastest VPN on any of my tests, it consistently delivered fast and stable connections on all servers. This is in big part due to the quality of its servers, of which ExpressVPN has over 3,000.
The speed dropdown on ExpressVPN connections was usually around 10% to 15%. No matter how remote I went with its servers, it never exceeded these numbers. This stability means that ExpressVPN is a superb pick for Destiny 2 players from all over the globe.
ExpressVPN works on all major platforms. You can easily set it up to play Destiny 2 on your gaming console or PC. It includes private DNS on every server and DDoS protection.
While it is a very imposing VPN overall, ExpressVPN is very much a premium product. It only supports five simultaneous connections and is the most expensive service on my list. For these reasons, the highest I could rank it is fifth place.
ExpressVPN Speed Test for Gaming Results
|Average Speed – North America (United States)||42,2 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Europe (United Kingdom)||40,9 Mbps|
|Average Speed – Asia (Singapore)||38,1 Mbps|
|Best deal||+3 months FREE|
- Great gaming speeds on entire server network
- One of the safest Destiny 2 VPNs
- TrustedServer technology and kill switch protection
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The most expensive VPN for Destiny 2 on my list
- The VPN with the fewest number of simultaneous connections (5)
Testing Methodology: How We Pick The Best Destiny 2 VPNs
When picking the best VPN providers for Destiny 2, I evaluated and compared a set of the most important features. Here are the criteria I used:
- Speed and Performance – Fast connection speeds and low latency are the two most important factors for a Destiny 2 VPN. They can help reduce lag and resolve other connectivity issues.
- Server Network – The service should also have at least a decent-sized server network of global servers. This provides you with VPN connection options and the opportunity to access Destiny 2 servers in various parts of the world.
- Device Compatibility – The game is available on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Windows, Stadia, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X/S. The five VPNs on my list offer you gaming support for all of these major operating systems.
- Security and Privacy – A top VPN for this game should offer strong encryption, a no-logs policy, and other features to protect your online privacy and security and keep you safe from DDoS attacks.
- Additional Factors – Aspects like reliable and responsive live chat support, number of supported devices, price plans, and others can also separate a VPN from its competitors. I always evaluate these factors and recommend you do the same when picking the best VPN for Destiny 2 based on your personal criteria.
Can You Use a VPN Service with Destiny 2?
Yes, you can use a VPN for Destiny 2 to lower high ping and obtain online security. I’ve personally used all five VPN providers I listed above to play Destiny. I didn’t have any issues accessing the game from more than one gaming device.
Can You Get Banned for Using a VPN in Destiny 2?
No, you won’t get banned from Destiny 2 for playing with a VPN connection. As long as you use the VPN to lower your ping and protect from threats like DDoS attacks, you won’t have any issues. That said, if you use the VPN for other purposes, you might be risking a ban.
Primarily, this includes using the VPN to exploit some of the game’s mechanics and get an advantage over your opponents. Bungie’s T&Cs state that you can be banned for using any tools that would give you a competitive edge. VPN software isn’t specifically mentioned, but it’s very much implied.
If you’re worried about getting in trouble for using a VPN, consider setting up the VPN for Destiny 2 on your router instead of your PC. Going by user experiences on Reddit, setting up and playing the game this way does help minimize your overall detectability.
How to Use a Reliable VPN to Play Destiny 2
Using a VPN to play Destiny 2 and access games online is very simple. But, I’ve you’re a beginner user or need help setting up your VPN, this quick guide will help you set up a VPN so you can use it for playing Destiny 2:
- Pick one of the top VPNs for Destiny 2 from my list (I recommend NordVPN).
- Install the app on your device (If you’re using gaming consoles, you will have to set up your VPN through your router or PC).
- Connect to a VPN server (Pick a nearby server for the best performance and lowest lag).
- After the connection is established, use an online speed test site to check if the speed and ping are good enough to play the game.
- Launch Destiny 2 and start playing!
How a VPN Can Reduce Ping in Destiny 2
A VPN can potentially reduce high ping in Destiny 2 by providing a more direct and optimized route to the game server. When you connect to a VPN server, your Internet traffic is encrypted and routed through that server before reaching the destination.
In addition, some VPN providers offer features such as optimized gaming servers and VPN traffic routing, which can further reduce ping and improve your overall gaming experience. These features work by automatically routing your traffic through the fastest and most stable server available, and by prioritizing gaming traffic over other types of internet traffic.
Lastly, some tunneling protocols are faster than others. For instance, the NordLynx protocol from NordVPN and the industry-standard WireGuard protocol are faster than most standard protocols the majority of VPNs come with.
Can You Use a Free VPN for Destiny 2?
I don’t recommend using a free VPN for Destiny 2. Compared to their premium counterparts, free VPNs come with too many faults that negate any purpose of using them. Primarily, free VPNs may not offer the same level of security and privacy as paid VPN services.
This isn’t even to mention the lacking performance compared to premium VPNs. Free VPNs generally have limited servers and bandwidth. This results in slower speeds and connectivity issues. Needless to say, your gaming performance is bound to suffer with such a service.
If you want the best results when playing Destiny 2 or any other online game, I always recommend going with a paid VPN. That said, the next best alternative is to use a freemium VPN like Atlas VPN.
AtlasVPN is one of the best VPNs for Destiny 2, but it’s also the best free VPN you can use for this game. Its free plan comes with three free server locations and 5 GB of monthly data. This is a good way to start, as Atlas VPN is a trusted and secure VPN. And, when you need unlimited bandwidth or more server options, you can easily upgrade to the premium plan.
Destiny 2 VPN FAQs
Can I set up a VPN for Destiny 2 on PS4?
Yes, you can set up your PS4 to play Destiny 2 through a VPN. The easiest way to do so is to set up the VPN service directly on your router. That way, all of your network’s traffic will be encrypted, including your PS4.
Does Destiny 2 work with a VPN?
Yes, Destiny 2 can work with a VPN without any issues. The key thing is to pick a reliable VPN provider. This will ensure a smooth gaming experience with fast speeds and uncompromising security.
What’s the best VPN server location for Destiny 2?
There is no one “best” VPN server location for Destiny 2 as it largely depends on your geographical location and the location of the game’s server you are trying to connect to. In other words, it primarily depends on what you’re looking for.
Can I use a VPN to bypass IP bans in Destiny 2?
Yes, a reliable VPN service can help you bypass an IP ban in Destiny 2. However, remember that a Virtual Private Network will only do the trick if your IP address has been banned, not your entire account.
Can I use a VPN to play Destiny 2 Competitively?
Yes, using a VPN is the best way to go about it if you’re playing Destiny 2 competitively. This is because the competitive scene can often get toxic, and some players go out of their way to cause trouble to their opponents.