7 Best Hulu VPNs That Actually Work (Fast & Easy to Use)
Hulu is an awesome streaming platform, but it only works in the US. To access it abroad, you need to use a VPN that has servers in the US. But many VPNs claim to work with Hulu when, in reality, they can barely access it. Plus they also have very slow speeds and unintuitive apps.
So we tested the most popular VPNs for streaming platforms on the market to see which ones actually unblock Hulu. We ranked them in this guide, and also provided other useful info that will help you access Hulu outside the US.
In a hurry?
7 Best Hulu VPNs on the Market
Dozens of VPNs claim to unblock Hulu but only work with the site 50% of the time or less. We tested 40+ VPNs and managed to find the best 7 VPNs that work with Hulu without any issues:
NordVPN is the best Hulu VPN out there according to our tests. It consistently works with the streaming site, provides blazing-fast streaming speeds, and is very easy to use.
When we used Hulu with NordVPN, we never encountered proxy error messages even though we binged shows and movies for weeks. What’s more, we had very fast speeds when we used this VPN. Hulu loaded instantly and HD and 4K videos loaded instantly and never buffered.
Plus, this VPN comes with split-tunneling, which lets you choose which apps use the VPN connection and which apps use your local network. We used the feature to only route Hulu traffic through NordVPN, which increased our streaming speeds by 10–15%.
We also love how user-friendly NordVPN is — it took us less than 3 minutes to download and install its apps and use them to access Hulu. The interface is also very intuitive and there’s a search field, so you can instantly find US servers.
In addition to that, you also get excellent security and privacy with this provider. Its no-logs policy passed 2 independent security audits and it has RAM-only servers, meaning every server reset wipes all data. It also comes with double VPN connections and a very good ad blocker. There’s also a Dark Web Monitor, which lets you check if your email was compromised on the dark web.
This VPN comes with 24/7 live chat and very affordable plans. It also backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to read more about this provider? Check out our full NordVPN review.
- Thousands of lightning-fast servers
- Unblocks streaming services
- Fully supports Torrenting and P2P
- Strict no-logs policy and RAM-disk servers
- Ad blocker and malware protection features
- Robust security features and military-grade encryption
- 24/7 live chat support
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Only 6 simultaneous connections
- No free trial
Surfshark has excellent Hulu support, lightning-fast connection speeds, and allows unlimited connections. We were always able to access Hulu abroad with this VPN and watch any title we wanted, without ever seeing the proxy error.
We especially like that this provider has very fast streaming speeds. We ran multiple speed tests, and we were always able to load HD and 4K videos instantly on our smartphones and PCs. And on our Android TV which had a weak WiFi signal, 4K videos loaded in just 4 seconds and there was only minor buffering at the start of the videos.
Even better, there’s a built-in speed test, which lets you find the fastest server for your location. It’s very accurate because it always recommended the fastest US server for our location.
Split-tunneling is also available, so you can use it to fine-tune your Hulu streaming speeds. There’s also a very good ad blocker, which can block connections to malicious sites — it can protect you from fake Hulu sites that try to steal your account.
Surfshark provides excellent security features, including advanced security features like RAM-only servers. It also comes with 24/7 live chat, very affordable plans, and a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you’d like to read more about this VPN, check out our hands-on Surfshark review.
- Very affordable
- Unlimited simultaneous connections
- Ad-blocking feature
- Unblocks streaming platforms
- Allows split-tunneling and has multi-hop VPN feature
- No-log policy and strong security features
- GPS spoofing on Android devices
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- No free version
- Does not allow P2P seeding
AtlasVPN has streaming-optimized servers, a great free plan, and allows unlimited connections. The latter means you can set up and use AtlasVPN on as many devices as you want. So it’s the perfect choice if everyone in your house wants a VPN that works with Hulu.
This provider has multiple US servers that are optimized to provide a smooth streaming experience. They’re specifically optimized to provide fast 4K streaming, and our speed tests confirm that. All 4K videos on Hulu loaded in just 1–2 seconds and there was no buffering at the start of the videos and no quality drops.
What’s more, AtlasVPN has SafeSwap servers in the US. Basically, they’re configured to change your IP address throughout the VPN session. That makes it harder for Hulu to detect and block your VPN connection.
AtlasVPN also offers other great security features. It has double VPN connections and Tracker Blocker, which stops ad trackers from spying on you. We also like the Data Breach Monitor — you can use it to make sure your Hulu email address wasn’t compromised in a breach.
This VPN also has a good free plan that lets you test its service. You can use US servers, get good speeds, and are limited to 10 GB per month. We were able to access Hulu using the free plan, but AtlasVPN can’t guarantee its free plan will always work with streaming sites.
Upgrading to the paid plans, which are super cheap, gets you access to streaming servers, SafeSwap servers, live chat support, and more. Also, there’s a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Very affordable plans and it has a free version
- Fast Speeds
- Unlimited device support
- WireGuard protocol and strong security features
- Unblocks streaming services
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Limited Linux app
- Based in the US
- Not so many servers
PrivateVPN is a good beginner-friendly VPN for Hulu that provides fast speeds. Despite only having 200+ worldwide servers and 10+ server locations in the US, we always had good streaming speeds with this VPN. Hulu’s site always loaded in 1–2 seconds and HD videos loaded instantly and didn’t buffer. What’s more, 4K videos loaded in less than 4 seconds and we didn’t experience lagging or quality drops when we skipped through the videos.
And we like that this VPN displays the server ping, which is the time it takes for an internet signal to travel from your device to the VPN server. That information helps you find and connect to fast servers. In our tests, we always had faster streaming speeds on Hulu when we used US servers with low ping instead of high ping.
And PrivateVPN’s apps are very minimalistic, so new users won’t feel overwhelmed by too many features and settings. The interface is very simple to navigate and it only takes 3–4 seconds to find and connect to US servers.
This VPN also has strong security and comes with very helpful 24/7 live chat. It has some of the cheapest plans on the market and backs each purchase with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
- Supports P2P traffic and allows port forwarding
- Unlimited bandwidth and great speeds
- Unblocks most streaming platforms
- Zero-logging policy
- Free Static IP servers
- 10 simultaneous connections
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Not as many servers as other VPN providers
- No split-tunneling
ExpressVPN unblocks Hulu and 65+ other streaming apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime, so it’s a great pick if you want access to tons of streaming sites. And we almost never saw the proxy error message when using this VPN.
You also get very fast speeds with this VPN if you use Lightway, its proprietary protocol whose speeds are on par with WireGuard. With ExpressVPN, Hulu’s site and app always loaded instantly, HD and 4K videos loaded in under 3 seconds, and we never experienced quality drops.
This provider’s apps are also very user-friendly. It’s easy to download and install, and the design is extremely intuitive. Plus, we love the Shortcuts feature — it lets you create 1-click shortcuts for your favorite apps and sites. The shortcuts show up on your screen after you connect to a VPN server. That way, you get instant access to Hulu.
And with this provider, you also get excellent security. Its no-logs policy passed an independent security audit. Also, it has RAM-only servers and perfect forward secrecy. The latter changes your encryption key for each VPN connection to provide more security against cyber attacks.
ExpressVPN also provides excellent 24/7 live chat, and its reps are very knowledgeable about everything related to Hulu. On the rare occasions that ExpressVPN was not working with Hulu, the reps were able to help us. They provided us with troubleshooting tips that solved our problem in less than 3 minutes.
ExpressVPN has several paid plans, which seem pricey but they’re worth it since they provide excellent value. There’s also a no-questions-asked 30-day money-back guarantee.
Want to find out more about this VPN service? Just check out our full ExpressVPN review.
- Works with streaming
- Supports torrenting
- No-logs policy
- TrustedServer technology with RAM-only servers
- Premium security features
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Expensive subscription plans
- Only 5 simultaneous connections
CyberGhost VPN has dedicated streaming servers for Hulu and tons of other streaming sites. It’s also very easy to use and comes with cool automation features.
This VPN has 3 dedicated streaming servers for Hulu, 2 of which are optimized to offer fast speeds on Firestick and Android TV. The streaming servers are configured to refresh their IP addresses very often. That makes it extremely difficult for Hulu to detect and block the VPN. And this provider has tons of other streaming servers in 10+ countries that unblock 50+ streaming services.
We also like how easy-to-use CyberGhost VPN’s apps are. They’re simple to navigate and most settings and features have quick, helpful explanations. The Smart Rules feature is also great since it allows you to create VPN connection preferences. For example, you can make the VPN app automatically connect to the US Hulu server and open the Hulu app on launch.
This provider’s speeds are also really good. We ran speed tests using both wired connections and WiFi connections, and we always enjoyed smooth streaming. HD videos loaded instantly and 4K videos loaded in 5 seconds and didn’t buffer.
CyberGhost VPN provides excellent security, as it has RAM-only servers. Split-tunneling and an ad blocker are also available.
What’s more, this VPN comes with live chat, affordable plans, and a 45-day money-back guarantee for its long-term plans. It backs the shortest plan with a 14-day money-back guarantee.
- Good for streaming and torrenting
- WireGuard protocol available
- No Logs
- Offers Dedicated IP option
- Free browser extension
- 45-day money-back guarantee
- No third-party audits
- Messy app’s interface
7. Private Internet Access
Private Internet Access (PIA) is a great VPN to watch Hulu if privacy matters a lot to you. This VPN also provides fast streaming and user-friendly apps.
This provider’s no-logs policy hasn’t been independently audited, but it has been proven true in court on many occasions. In addition to that, all of this VPN’s apps are open-source, meaning anyone can inspect the code for security vulnerabilities. And the VPN also has advanced security features like RAM-only servers.
And PIA works very well with Hulu — we were always able to access its titles abroad. And we had very fast speeds too since this provider comes with WireGuard. Hulu’s site always loaded instantly, HD videos loaded in 2 seconds, and 4K videos took just 5 seconds to load and didn’t buffer. It’s also great that this VPN displays the server ping, which helps you find the fastest US servers.
Furthermore, this VPN gives you the option to get a dedicated US IP address as a paid add-on. A dedicated IP is only used by you, so it’s harder for streaming sites like Hulu to detect and block it.
And split-tunneling is available too — we really like that it also lets you split-tunnel IP addresses, not just apps. That way, you can route just Hulu’s site through the VPN, not your entire web browser.
PIA comes with helpful customer support and very affordable prices. It also has a risk-free 30-day money-back guarantee.
To learn more about this VPN, please read our Private Internet Access review.
- Thousands of servers
- Great for torrenting and P2P
- Strong security and encryption
- Block ads, trackers, and malware
- 10 simultaneous device connections
- Anonymous payment methods
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- Based in the US
- Not all streaming services can be unblocked
How to Watch Hulu with a VPN
Here’s how to use Hulu and a VPN together in 6 steps:
- Sign up for a good Hulu VPN like NordVPN.
- Download the VPN app to your device.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the VPN app.
- Run the VPN app.
- Connect to a US VPN server.
- Log into your Hulu account and start watching your favorite titles.
How to Watch Hulu Outside the US
Here’s how you can watch Hulu with a VPN abroad:
- Get a great streaming VPN with US servers like NordVPN.
- Download and install the VPN provider’s app on your device.
- Open the app and connect to a US VPN server.
- Log into your account and start binging your favorite titles.
- If you don’t have an account, create one and pay using a US payment method like US virtual cards or prepaid debit cards.
What to Do If Hulu Is Not Working with the VPN
If the VPN doesn’t work with Hulu, there’s a chance the site detected and blocked one of its servers. Here’s how to get around this issue:
- Use a different server — simply connect to another server in the US. Maybe Hulu didn’t block its IP address.
- Use streaming servers — if the provider has dedicated streaming servers, use them instead of regular servers. They change their IPs more often, so they’re harder to block.
- Check for leaks — run leak tests to make sure your VPN is not leaking your IP address to Hulu.
- Clear your browser’s cookies — tracking cookies can reveal your actual geo-location to Hulu, so get rid of them.
- Use a different browser — if clearing your main browser’s cookies is too much of a hassle, just use a different one. Also, we recommend accessing Hulu in incognito mode to get rid of cookies much easier.
- Disable or change GPS location — if you use Hulu on mobile, it might check your device’s GPS data, which can reveal your real location. So disable GPS location services. Or use a VPN like Surfshark, which lets you hide your GPS data.
- Get a dedicated IP address — with a dedicated IP, Hulu is less likely to block your VPN connection. That’s because it doesn’t see hundreds of people logging in from the same IP. Some top VPNs offer dedicated IPs as a paid add-on, but PrivateVPN lets you use dynamic dedicated IPs for free.
If none of those tips work, your VPN just doesn’t work with Hulu. We recommend upgrading to a better service, like the ones on our list.
Why Use a VPN for Hulu?
Here are the main reasons people use Hulu VPNs:
- Unblock Hulu abroad — due to licensing regulations, Hulu is only available inside the US. If you use a VPN for Hulu, it hides your IP address, so Hulu can’t use it to see your real location. As long as you use a US VPN server, you’ll have access to Hulu outside the US.
- Prevent bandwidth throttling — if you live in the US, you have access to Hulu. But if you binge it for too long, your ISP might start throttling bandwidth, slowing down your speeds. But if you use a VPN, it encrypts your traffic, making it unreadable. So your ISP won’t know what you’re doing online. Without that info, they can’t selectively slow down your Hulu speeds.
- Enjoy online security and privacy — a Hulu VPN encrypts your connections. That makes it impossible for hackers and anyone else to spy on your traffic. It also hides your IP address, so advertisers can’t use it to track your online preferences.
How to Pick the Best Hulu VPN
These are the metrics we used to rank the Hulu VPNs on our list:
- Works with Hulu — all the VPNs we recommend can access Hulu outside the US without any problems. We almost never saw the proxy error.
- Fast streaming speeds — using a VPN might slow down your speeds due to the encryption process. The distance between you and the VPN server also plays a role. But the best VPNs, like the ones in this article, minimize the speed loss.
- Ease of use — we only recommend VPNs that have easy-to-use apps on all major platforms. Their apps are also intuitive and make it simple to find and connect to US servers to unblock Hulu.
- Strong security — every VPN on this list has industry-standard security features. They have bank-grade encryption, no-logs policies, kill switches, and strong leak protection.
- Extra features — some of our top picks have additional features like ad blockers and split-tunneling. The latter is good for Hulu because it lets you boost your streaming speeds by only routing Hulu traffic through the VPN.
- Good value — each one of our top picks has very affordable subscriptions with flexible plan lengths. They also back each purchase with generous money-back guarantees.
Why Does Hulu Block VPNs?
Hulu has to block VPNs, otherwise, it might get in legal trouble for going against the licensing agreements it signed.
Hulu doesn’t own all the content it streams. Instead, it buys licensing rights to show the shows and movies in specific countries, like the US. Due to that, it can’t legally show the titles in other parts of the world. So it uses geo-blocks on its platform, which VPNs can bypass. If Hulu doesn’t block them, it might seem like it’s not actively trying to stick to the contracts it signed.
As for the content Hulu owns, it likely sells the licensing rights to other streaming sites in other countries. Doing that prevents Hulu from legally streaming its own titles abroad. Maybe Hulu doesn’t bother with streaming the content abroad itself because the company doesn’t think it’d be a good investment.
How to Get Around the Hulu Home Location Error
When you sign up for Hulu, it asks you to set up a home network. If you get a home location error, you’ll need to update your home network. But if it comes to that, we recommend getting a dedicated VPN IP address, which won’t change. That’s because Hulu only allows you to change your home network 4 times per year.
You can also try getting rid of the error by signing into your Hulu account on your smartphone while connected to your home network. But that method isn’t always efficient.
Hulu VPN FAQs
These are the most common questions we saw people asking about Hulu VPNs. If you have more questions, leave them in the comments and we’ll try to answer them.
Which VPNs Don’t Work with Hulu?
During our tests, these VPNs didn’t work with Hulu:
- Norton Secure VPN
- Mullvad VPN
How Does Hulu Know I’m Using a VPN?
Hulu likely uses automated scripts to detect and block VPN IP addresses. And they get the VPN IPs from databases, which are provided by IP location lookup services — like IP2Location or MaxMind.
There’s also a chance Hulu’s scripts are configured to detect multiple logins from the same IP address, like 100+ logins, and flag them as VPN IPs. That happens because VPNs use shared IP addresses by default, where you share the VPN IP with other VPN users.
We’re only speculating, of course, since Hulu doesn’t publish how it detects VPN users on its platform.
The only way for a VPN to bypass that kind of detection is for it to refresh its IP addresses very often. If Hulu blocks VPN IPs twice per week, the VPN needs to refresh its IPs every 2-3 days. All the VPNs on our list do that.
Is Hulu Only Available in the US?
Hulu is available in the US, US territories like Puerto Rico, and US military bases. There’s also Hulu Japan, which is only available in Japan. To access Hulu, you need to use a US VPN server. And to access Hulu Japan, you need to use a Japanese VPN server.
Are There Free VPNs for Hulu?
There are free VPNs on the market, but we don’t recommend using them. Free VPNs generally don’t work with Hulu — they don’t refresh their IPs frequently enough, so the site detects and blocks them. What’s more, free VPNs limit how much data you can use each day or month, have very slow speeds, and have buggy apps.
It’s much better to use a paid VPN instead — for example, NordVPN consistently works with Hulu and also has very fast streaming speeds.
Does Hulu Work with a VPN?
Yes, Hulu works with VPNs, but you need to use a good streaming VPN that refreshes its IP address very often, like NordVPN. Otherwise, Hulu will detect and block the VPN.
Is It Legal to Watch Hulu with a VPN?
Yes, it’s perfectly legal to use a VPN to watch Hulu. It only becomes illegal if you use the VPN to engage in criminal activities.
That said, Hulu doesn’t encourage using a VPN and its terms of service state this:
For clarity, you may not use any technology or technique that obscures or disguises your location when you are accessing the Services.
But it doesn’t say if it will terminate a user’s account if they’re caught using a VPN. So far, we were only redirected to the proxy error page when we were caught, meaning Hulu only blocks the VPN.
How Can I Pay for Hulu Outside the US?
If you sign up for Hulu abroad, you’ll need to pay using a US payment method. Here are your options:
- Use a US PayPal account or credit card if you have one.
- Use a Hulu gift card. You can buy it from MyGiftCardSupply using a US VPN server.
- Pay using a prepaid Visa debit card.
- Use StatesPay to get a virtual US debit card.
Can I Use a Hulu VPN on More Than 1 Device?
Yes, most top Hulu VPNs let you use their service on more than 1 device. The industry average is 5–7 connections. But some VPNs, like AtlasVPN and Surfshark, also allow unlimited connections, meaning you can use the VPN on as many devices as you want.
Anonymous Proxy or VPN for Hulu — Which Should I Use?
We recommend using a VPN instead of a proxy, which hides your IP just like a VPN but doesn’t provide encryption. You get faster speeds that way, but no security. Also, the proxy can’t stop your ISP from throttling your bandwidth because it can’t hide your traffic.
If you experience issues with NordVPN, try this:
- Connect to a different US server to get a new US IP that’s not blocked.
- Clear your browser’s cookies and cache.
- Use a different browser with incognito/private mode.
- Ask customer support which US servers unblock Hulu.
- Get a dedicated US IP address.
Does Obfuscation Help You Avoid Detection by Hulu?
No, you can’t use obfuscation to get around Hulu’s blocks. That feature hides your VPN traffic, making it look like regular internet traffic. But Hulu only blocks the VPN’s IP address, not its traffic. So the VPN just needs to refresh its IPs very often to get around detection.
It only makes sense to use obfuscation if you live in a restricted country that blocks Hulu and/or VPNs. Using it otherwise is not worth it. Especially since obfuscation will slow down your speeds even more because it adds another layer of encryption.
How to Increase VPN Speeds on Hulu
If you experience noticeable slowdowns, here’s what you can do:
- Connect to the US server that’s closest to your location. For example, if you’re in Europe, use a VPN server on the East Coast instead of the West Coast.
- Switch to a faster VPN protocol. If you’re using OpenVPN, switch to WireGuard or IKEv2/IPSec — they’re just as safe as OpenVPN but much faster.
- Use split-tunneling. Use it to only send Hulu traffic through the VPN. Fewer data to encrypt and decrypt means faster speeds.
- Close background apps. Don’t leave web-connected apps that you’re not using running — they’ll eat up your bandwidth, slowing down your speeds.
- Use wired connections. If you’re using WiFi and its signal is too weak, your speeds will be very slow. Connecting your device to the router with an ethernet cable solves that issue.
The Bottom Line
To enjoy Hulu outside the US, you need to use a VPN with US servers that works with the site. All the VPNs on our list work with Hulu, but we’d like to hear which ones you used to successfully unblock the site.