Does Surfshark Work with Netflix? How to Use It
Watching Netflix with a VPN is the most popular way to access geo-restricted content. A VPN hides your IP address (which reveals your real location) and replaces it with another IP from a different country. This way, when you log into your Netflix account, you’ll automatically unblock the Netflix library that matches the VPN’s location.
Surfshark is one of the most popular VPNs that can unblock Netflix. It unblocks the most popular libraries like Netflix US, Netflix UK, Netflix Canada, and Netflix Japan. It has great streaming speeds on both local and distant servers. In our tests, we didn’t experience any buffering. Plus, it has many useful security features to keep your Netflix account safe.
If you want to find out more about this service, check out our in-depth Surfshark review.
For this article, we tested Surfshark with Netflix for one month on both local and distant servers. We conducted several speed tests on different Netflix libraries. Here are our results!
Does Surfshark Work with Netflix?
Yes, Surfshark is one of the most popular VPNs that unblock Netflix. Depending on the VPN server you connect to, you can unlock almost any popular Netflix library around the world.
Netflix constantly detects and blocks VPN IP addresses. Because of this, using a VPN service with a large server network that refreshes the IP frequently is essential to enjoy Netflix. Surfshark’s Nexus feature helps with that by regularly changing your IP address throughout the VPN session.
Surfshark has more than 3,200 servers in 60+ countries, so finding a specific server that can unblock your Netflix show is pretty straightforward. In our tests, we always unlocked popular Netflix libraries without getting our IP address blocked. So Surfshark is a good VPN for streaming.
Does Surfshark Have Fast Netflix Speeds?
Yes, Surfshark provides smooth HD and 4K streaming across all of its servers.
In our speed tests, we experienced only a 20% slowdown on local and nearby servers. That means that we watched HD videos without experiencing buffering or quality drops. On distant servers, we experienced only a 30% slowdown. So 4K movies took less than 3 seconds to load, and we skipped through them without experiencing buffering.
Why Do You Need Surfshark to Watch Netflix?
Here are the main reasons to use Surfshark for Netflix:
- Bypass geo-blocks — Surfshark hides your IP address, so Netflix can’t see your real location. That way, you can watch your favorite shows and movies from anywhere in the world.
- Bypass censorship — if you’re traveling to restrictive countries like China, you’ll see that Netflix is not available there. In this case, Surfshark connects you to an IP address that doesn’t have a firewall restriction attached to it. So, you can watch your favorite movies and TV shows anyway.
- Prevent bandwidth throttling — binging Netflix uses a lot of data, which might result in your ISP throttling your bandwidth. This means that they will intentionally slow down your Netflix speeds. The good news is that Surfshark encrypts your traffic, making it unreadable. This way, your ISP won’t see what you’re doing online, so they can’t intentionally slow down your connections to Netflix.
- Protect your data — Surfshark uses high-end security features to protect your internet traffic. So, cybercriminals can’t spy on your connections to compromise your Netflix account.
How to Use Surfshark with Netflix
- Go to Surfshark’s site and get a subscription.
- Download the VPN to your device.
- Install Surfshark and log in.
- Choose a VPN server from a country where your favorite TV show or movie is streaming.
- Log into your Netflix account and look up the title you want to watch.
What Netflix Libraries Can You Access with Surfshark?
Surfshark unblocks the most popular Netflix libraries from around the world, like:
- Netflix US
- Netflix UK
- Netflix Canada
- Netflix India
- Netflix South Korea
- Netflix Japan
- Netflix Germany
- Netflix Switzerland
- Netflix Belgium
All you have to do is connect to a VPN server in a country where the Netflix show you want to watch is already streaming. This way, you’ll automatically be assigned a new IP address from that country.
Quick example: let’s say you’re from the US and want to watch shows that are only available in the UK.
Here are the steps you should follow to unblock the show on Netflix:
- Make sure you’re not logged into your Netflix account.
- Log into your Surfshark app.
- Go to the search bar and type United Kingdom.
- Connect to any server displayed in the list.
- Log into your Netflix account.
- Go to the Search bar and type the Netflix title you want to watch.
That’s it — now your favorite show should appear in the Netflix library.
What Makes Surfshark Good for Netflix?
Here are the most important features that make Surfshark good for Netflix:
- Streaming support — it unblocks the most popular Netflix libraries and you can get access to thousands of movies and shows.
- Large server network — Surfshark has 3,200+ servers in 60+ countries. So you can watch Netflix titles from tons of countries.
- Nexus — this feature changes the VPN’s IP addresses throughout the VPN connection very often. So it’s very hard for Netflix to detect and block it.
- Fast streaming speeds — Surfshark provides blazing-fast speeds for HD and 4K streaming across all servers.
- Easy to use — the provider has apps that are intuitive to use, works well on all supported platforms, and don’t have bugs. It won’t take you more than 5 minute to get started with the VPN and unblock Netflix.
- Spoof GPS — if you watch Netflix on Android, you should know that Netflix’s app uses both your IP address and GPS to find your location. This feature hides your GPS data together with your IP address so that you can unblock Netflix’s app and won’t have to resort to using its site.
- Camouflage Mode — if you travel to restrictive countries, you might not be able to access Netflix with a VPN because they block VPN traffic. This feature is very useful because it hides your VPN traffic and makes it look like normal internet traffic, allowing you to bypass VPN blocks.
- NoBorders — this is another useful feature if you stream in a restrictive country. When Surfshark detects that a firewall is trying to restrict your Netflix access, NoBorders is automatically triggered. You’ll get a list of servers to connect to that are configured to bypass firewalls.
- CleanWeb — this is Surfshark’s ad-blocking feature. In addition to getting rid of ads, it also blocks connections to malicious sites. So, it can protect you from fake Netflix sites that try to steal your data.
- Unlimited simultaneous connections — Surfshark allows you to use its service on as many devices as you want. So it’s a perfect pick if you have a large household or a big family, or if you own tons of devices.
- Good pricing — if you subscribe to longer plans, you can get the VPN for a very affordable price. You also get a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you don’t like the service, you get your money back.
What Should You Do If Surfshark Is Not Working with Netflix?
Here’s what you can do if you can’t unblock Netflix with Surfshark:
Use a Different Browser with Incognito/Private Mode
We don’t recommend using your day-to-day browser to unblock Netflix with a VPN. Its cookies will very likely leak your real location to Netflix even if you’re connected to a VPN server.
Instead, you should use a separate browser. Also, use its incognito/private mode so that cookies won’t interfere with your streaming.
Turn On the Kill Switch
Sometimes, the VPN connection might drop and your IP address might be accidentally exposed. To prevent any traffic leaks that might reveal your real location to Netflix, make sure the kill switch is on.
This way, if the VPN connection drops, your device gets automatically disconnected from the internet to prevent data leaks.
Use a Different VPN Server
Netflix constantly blocks VPN and detects and blocks its IP addresses. So if a certain VPN server doesn’t unblock your favorite movie on Netflix, it might be because that VPN IP address is already blocked.
Surfshark’s Nexus feature should normally prevent that from happening. Still, if you experience this issue, just change to a different VPN server in the same country as the previous server.
Turn On the Spoof GPS Feature on Android
Netflix’s app detects both your IP address and GPS when you’re watching videos on Android. So even if you use Surfshark to hide your IP address, Netflix can still see your real location because of the GPS data.
Spoof GPS is a special feature that hides your GPS data, so that you can unblock any Netflix library on your Android. Here’s how to to turn Spoof GPS on:
- Go to your Android Surfshark app.
- Tap on the Settings button.
- Tap on the VPN settings options.
- Go to Advanced settings.
- Toggle the Override GPS location on.
This way, your GPS location will match your VPN location, and you can unblock any titles you want on Netflix’s app.
Ask the Customer Support Reps
The support reps should be able to tell exactly which servers you can use to unblock a specific Netflix library. VPNs don’t make this information public on their site to avoid getting their servers blacklisted too fast.
Surfshark has excellent 24/7 live chat so there will always be someone to answer your questions.
What are Surfshark Alternatives for Netflix?
You can watch and unblock Netflix with these Surfshark alternatives:
Verdict: Is Surfshark Good for Netflix?
Yes, Surfshark is a great VPN for streaming on Netflix. It has fast speeds — we didn’t experience any video buffering or quality drops. It also has a large server network, so finding a VPN server in a country where your favorite Netflix show is streaming is quite easy.
What’s more, Surfshark can hide both your GPS data and IP address on Android, which lets you bypass geo-blocks on Netflix’s app. So you don’t need to use its site, which is more inconvenient.
We also like the VPN’s Nexus feature, which changes VPN IPs very fast throughout the VPN session. That makes it extremely difficult for Netflix to detect and block this provider.
Surfshark offers a 30-day money-back guarantee, so if you don’t like it, you can cancel your subscription risk-free.
If for whatever reason, you didn’t like using Surfshark with Netflix, we can recommend 2 other popular VPN alternatives: NordVPN and CyberGhost VPN. Both VPNs are good for streaming with Netflix, provide very fast speeds, and have easy-to-use apps for all platforms.
NordVPN has an even larger server network than Surfshark (5,000+ servers in 55+ countries). Also, NordVPN has a paid add-on that lets you get an IP address that’s only assigned to you. Because there’s only one person using that IP address and not hundreds of people, Netflix will have a harder time detecting and blocking it.
CyberGhost VPN also has a bigger server network than Surfshark (7,700+ servers in 90+ countries). What’s more, it has dedicated streaming servers (which are hard to detect and block) that work with 50+ streaming sites, including Netflix. What’s more, the VPN offers full leak protection, unlike Surfshark which only has DNS leak protection. So you’re not likely to experience IPv6 leaks, which could expose your real location to Netflix.